MAY HEALTH AND FITNESS CHALLENGE

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: MAY HEALTH AND FITNESS CHALLENGE

Postby mango » Sat May 10, 2008 7:47 pm

That's true, it is mostly a kid's sandwich. I'm not American, so I have no idea what those other things are: Fluffernutter? Urs, I laughed out loud when I read your post this morning. Breakfast: multi-grain cereal w/ nonfat milk, cranberry/pomegranate juice, coffee Snack: none Lunch: pb&j on multi-grain bread, nonfat blueberry yogurt, orange juice Snack: none Dinner: chips & salsa, two small chicken fajitas, diet Coke Exercise: Spent 5 or 6 hours detailing and washing my car today. And it was 85 F (about 28 Celsius for our metric friends). I didn't mean for it to take that long, but I got carried away and then it took forever and I thought it might kill me! Maybe I burned mega calories. :D I think I would rather do another half-marathon than do that again. It hadn't been cleaned in 4 YEARS!
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sun May 11, 2008 5:19 am

Yesterday - long walk, limited exs mango - you are so active, hope you didn't make yourself ill after that car cleaning episode in the heat.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby spark » Sun May 11, 2008 7:32 am

PB&J and Fluffernutter sandwiches. Also, Yodels, HoHos, Twinkies and snowballs. That is why we have issues with sugar.
Fluffernutter - peanut butter and marshmellow fluff (basically melted marshmellows) Yodels - chocolate cake rolls with "creme" inside (actually whipped solid fat) topped with melted chocolate HoHos - same as yodels Twinkies - sponge cake injected with "creme" Snowballs - sponge cake covered with a spongy, sugar topping topped with coconut I'm doing fine and have been ever since I got my life long weight issue under control. This meant giving up sugar and not lying to myself anymore about what I ate. I weigh myself every day so that I stay accountable.
spark
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Unity » Sun May 11, 2008 12:23 pm

I never expected Twinkies to be what they were. Usual Sunday meals which include dessert and cake - but in very small portions
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun May 11, 2008 5:49 pm

Eeewww. I'm glad I didn't know about those things. :P Breakfast: multi-grain cereal w/ nonfat milk, cranberry/pomegranate juice, coffee Snack: none Lunch: pb&j on multi-grain bread, orange juice Snack: nonfat strawberry yogurt Dinner: pasta and bean soup w/ wholegrain crackers, vanilla frozen yogurt w/ caramel sauce Exercise: 4 hours of errands 1 hour of housework

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon May 12, 2008 3:19 pm

Mango I hope the scales are reflecting all your effort. Today - long walk, some ex but not as much as before and dare I mention I've got a new habit of cakes again at the cafe instead of a dinner but I forgot today and had both. They have a fantastic apple danish that I started buying :roll: I agree those smilies are strange these days, bring back the old ones! Mango - good luck for tomorrow
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue May 13, 2008 9:26 am

Long walk, no cakes
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue May 13, 2008 6:04 pm

Yesterday: Breakfast: multi-grain cereal w/ nonfat milk, cranberry/pomegranate juice, coffee Snack: none Lunch: bean and pasta soup Snack: none Dinner: (brace yourselves) margarita, potato skins w/ bacon and cheddar, bread w/ butter, bbq ribs, fries, key lime pie Exercise: Walked 1 lap around campus 1 hour of housework Today: Breakfast: multi-grain cereal w/ nonfat milk, cranberry/pomegranate juice, coffee Snack: none Lunch: pb&j on multi-grain bread, nonfat strawberry yogurt Snack: nonfat strawberry yogurt Dinner: meat loaf, mashed potatoes, steamed corn, vanilla frozen yogurt w/ caramel sauce Exercise: Walked 2 laps around campus 30 minute walk with my dog 1 hour of housework

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed May 14, 2008 10:53 am

How many margaritas?? Hope you enjoyed the meal. Today - long walk round the City after the dreaded appt (the one were I was oversensitive to the buildings) and as soon as I got off the bus I got the mower out and cut the back.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu May 15, 2008 8:18 am

Last night - excs today - long walk Dr's surgery rang up to make appt for me re thyroid scan results which have come through- 1st available appt not until first week in June ! So it will be ages yet until I can shed that weight rapidly :?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri May 16, 2008 10:49 am

No willpower today re small cakes - 4!!! plus thick pancakes with butter and jam :?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat May 17, 2008 11:37 am

Hi everyone, Last night - exs Today - walk will do exs later I hope Next week aim - either avoid the cafe or don't eat cakes when you are there I had an idea about a different approach to the way I am trying to get achieve goals such as the clutter, health and financial threads. I've been doing them for 5 months and not much as changed if I have to be honest. Right at the start of this weight loss challenge early this year Tituba asked us to think about why losing weight is so hard. I remember when I was 15 telling my friend I was going to be slim before i was 16. But I was slim back then and I dread to think just how many pounds less than I am now. So what on earth made me think I was fat?? And what makes me laugh is that nowadays I don't think myself as particularly overweight at all, more unfit than anything. So I think that from now onwards my posts are going to be about the emotional side of the goals rather than lists. See if this makes any difference.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat May 17, 2008 1:44 pm

Tituba asked us to think about why losing weight is so hard.
Not exactly. I said we should examine why we are unwilling or afraid of losing weight. Resistance and self-sabotage are about fear, not the task being difficult.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun May 18, 2008 5:18 pm

Fell into the ditch for a few days because of a new medication that made me extremely tired and gave me insomnia at the same time. Not a good combination. I am re-thinking the medications that I'm taking and will be discussing with the shrink this week. :D I'm also joining the YMCA! I hope to get there and sign up tomorrow. I bought a pair of sneakers today. They have classes almost every night and on weekends, so I'm hoping that the change of venue and activity will motivate me. One of my co-workers talked me into it. She said it would boost my spirits and make me feel better about myself. We'll meet there for some of the classes for a while. PLUS, I'll get home in time to walk the dog before it gets dark. AND, one of the medications that I'm taking decreases my appetite and some of the urges to eat to calm myself. Plus, I'm going to start reading Geneen Roth's book, 'When Food is Love' and re-read Peter Walsh's book. And continue to see my therapist. I also have an at-home video routine to do (in my newly decluttered study) if I can't make it to the gym. The other shocking discovery that I've made is that we don't have a full-length mirror in our house. And I avoid mirrors. I was trying on sneakers today and I saw myself in a full-length mirror for the first time in ages. It was very odd. I was both fatter and thinner than I expected. Will be getting a full-length mirror to put on the back of the closet door. The other (!) thing that I realized is that I'm having a hard time believing that my body could change from what it looks like now to a thin body. I'm going to start collecting before and after pictures of other people who have lost weight to help me to believe that those big changes could really occur for me too. Feeling good about getting back on track. Urs, I can't wait for your thyroid results (or mine, for that matter).

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon May 19, 2008 3:31 pm

Hi mango, I think wall to wall mirrors would ensure we'd keep slim. I've got a few weeks until my appt at the doctors. Long walk - strange eating today due to indigestion so won't list it. Oddly enough the large pack of crisps and the twiglets I decided to eat instead of a dinner didn't seem to make things worse. :?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges