MAY CLUTTER/TO DO LIST CHALLENGE

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

MAY CLUTTER/TO DO LIST CHALLENGE

Postby Unity » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:52 am

Do you want to have an easier, less complicated life? Join us in the journey of letting go. Possessions, activities, behaviour, thoughts, people. And for those of you with to-list challenges, this is the place for you.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: MAY CLUTTER/TO DO LIST CHALLENGE

Postby Unity » Thu May 01, 2008 2:39 am

Hi everyone, Aims for the coming months - I'm going to leave most of the indoor sorting and concentrate on the exterior - Finish painting outside door - NOW doorstep/frame swing seat sort/file A's papers garage window car port declutter garage paint sliding door frame clean upvc round house clean garage door garage floor deal with the metal arch get rid of old door
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Thu May 01, 2008 9:10 am

Go Urs! Here are a few specific things that I would like to get done: Move Christmas tree to the crawl space upstairs. Steam clean the other two rugs and the rug that I want to sell. Shred papers that I've collected in the study. Get caught up on filing. Re-do the checklists for daily, weekly, and monthly tasks. List more items on eBay and Craigslist. Get through the rest of the Everyday Food magazines. Help my husband go through his stuff before the neighborhood yard sale on May 17th. Yesterday, I scheduled the charity pick-up for everything left over from the yard sale. :D http://www.scheduleapickup.org (Vietnam Vets of America). They pick-up at your house, you don't have to be home, you can schedule a pick-up online, and they leave you a tax receipt.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu May 01, 2008 9:26 am

Hi mango, looks like we're going to be busy. Today I painted the outside side of the door and was dismayed to find it raining again. Started pulling down ivy that was covering garage window and did some rough sanding. Prepared a bedroom for weekend visit
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Thu May 01, 2008 7:32 pm

I bet your new door looks lovely! The Christmas tree is now stored away in the crawl space. One of these days, I will find something better to store it in. I have a 'Christmas Tree Storage Bag' from The Container Store, but it is gigantic, unwieldy, and it's difficult to find a place where it could fit neatly. What I really need is a really large plastic container. I also went through some more of the Everyday Food magazines.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Fri May 02, 2008 7:23 am

Finally, some improvement in my life on this score!!!!! Our house isn't bad, but our basement was a mess!!! Mostly because of my pack-rat husband's stuff that he refuses to go through and get rid of. Boxes and boxes of papers mostly, 98% which could be thrown out if he could pick ou the few "nuggets" which he refuses to make time for. But, my brother-in-law (husband's brother) came to town for an extended stay. We put him up in an empty apartment that came open magically at the right time. He and I started tackling the basement and in one day it is 1,000 times better than it was! Also got rid of a carload of stuff to the church rummage sale for this weekend, and actually got him to thtow out two things that I could never get him to budge on before. Feeling much better about the whole thing now. It's the loss of control over your environment that is so debilitating. He frustrates me at every turn as far as cleaning stuff out. I have told him when he dies, I'm going to have a combination wake and garage sale! And anything left over will be door prizes at the funeral.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Fri May 02, 2008 10:15 am

He frustrates me at every turn as far as cleaning stuff out. I have told him when he dies, I'm going to have a combination wake and garage sale! And anything left over will be door prizes at the funeral.
That's really funny. Congrats on your progress.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri May 02, 2008 11:28 am

urbanpioneer - that was hilarious. That comment was interesting 'loss of control of your environment' That is exactly how I feel like that about my garage. It was really tidy before Xmas then I had a big repair job at home and the workmen took over the garage, and now it's really mucky again - not to mention the cobwebs and dust. mango - is your Xmas tree big? I put mine in the thick card box that it came in originally but I have to wrestle with it a lot first as it's hard to flatten down! Door progress - Looks lovely but.........There's always a but somewhere :D I was already dithering about 2 large pots of stain at home, both different colors which I had used for other projects. I enquired at a DIY shop and got told it wasn't suitable for my door. So I bought clear varnish instead forgetting that the door had just been made by a carpenter who left pencil marks and other things on the door that I couldn't then get off :evil: I've only got 1 coat on so far as it keeps raining.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat May 03, 2008 9:20 am

It probably won't be noticeable, Urs. I got a few things done: Steam cleaned one of the three rugs Finished with the Everyday Food magazines Shredded the papers

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat May 03, 2008 11:17 am

Just re-did the checklists for daily, weekly, and monthly tasks. :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat May 03, 2008 12:46 pm

OMG that garage situation really hit me today when I very nearly got into a 'situation' with my dad who was trying to insist to come round and look for a tool when I told him it was inconvenient and i would bring it round tomorrow. I told him there were all sorts of obstructions to a clear path (and he's got mobility problems) but he wouldn't take no for an answer :? I only won because I walked away without waiting for him to give me a lift home. I didn't want him round as I know he'll start talking about the door I was painting and probably start on about other things giving unwelcome advice. I could be wrong but as we have a history of clashing about this sort of thing I just couldn't face the possibility now as my nerves are frayed to the maximum. mango - I wonder if you have massive lists?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat May 03, 2008 6:40 pm

Well, I have one massive list. Glad to hear that you got around your father! I watched a few episodes of 'How Clean is Your House?' on YouTube, and that inspired me. I vacuumed and steam cleaned the other two carpets. I swept and mopped the kitchen floor. I vacuumed the living room floor (will need to be mopped tomorrow). I set up a power bar in the study so that my husband would stop moving stuff all over the place in order to plug in his laptop. I found something else for the sell pile. I moved all of the shoes out of the entryway. I started putting stuff away from my husband's trip. I washed all of the kitchen rugs. I gathered all of the cat beds to be washed. I was thinking that maybe I will get some pieces of fleecy fabric to put over the cat beds. Then when they get dirty, I can wash the pieces of fabric and not the unwieldy beds. Hmmm.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun May 04, 2008 8:42 am

I printed and posted the cleaning instructions and the daily, weekly, and monthly checklists.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sun May 04, 2008 12:03 pm

mango - I hope they get read. And acted upon. That's a good idea about the cat beds. As I'm busy this weekend I was surprised that I managed to do a complicated form plus sort out a file after discovering the middle of it fell to pieces. Plus I was very overwhelmed in the kitchen so put the dishwasher on twice in a row (never done that before - as I usually wash by hand). I don't know about you, but every time I do things that I know certain (critical) people don't, I get mental images of them telling me not to. So feel very guilty. Even though i'm adult with my own house :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun May 04, 2008 1:47 pm

Been watching more of those shows on You Tube. Very inspiring! I washed all of the cat beds. I washed all of the sheets and blankets. I changed the furnace filter (unbelievably dirty). I mopped the living room floor. I cleaned the dishwasher. I made more laundry detergent. I unpacked my husband's suitcase. :roll: I cleaned the microwave. I washed all of the bathroom rugs. Plus, my husband weeded, mowed the lawn, and trimmed the grass around the edges. Urs, congrats on the form and the file. :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges