MAY CLUTTER/TO DO LIST CHALLENGE

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: MAY CLUTTER/TO DO LIST CHALLENGE

Postby mango » Sun May 18, 2008 1:38 pm

Hi all, Everyone is doing so well! Sorry that I disappeared for a little bit, I hope I'm back for good. Lots of decluttering since we had our neighborhood yard sale yesterday. We made about $150 (enough for a week's groceries, pet supplies, car stuff for my husband, and a new pair of sneakers for me). We got rid of A LOT of stuff, and the rest is on the porch waiting for the charity pick-up on Friday. I'm very pleased. And my nephew and husband were a great help. They dragged out the large pieces that I had been planning to list on Craigslist, and it all sold! Much less for me to do now. Here's what else I want to do: Get husband to install shelf in kitchen. Help husband go through 8 boxes of memorabilia. Have husband and nephew go through large box of wires and electronic stuff to see what we can recycle. Remove hard drive from old computer that crashed (wedding pictures are on there). Recycle the electronics and computer at Office Depot. Have husband move desk set, dry erase board, and file cart to his office. List rest of stuff on eBay (only a small amount). Go through my bin of memorabilia and get rid of more stuff. Got through my box of photos and get rid of any pictures that I don't love. Put together two boxes for husband's daughter's artwork and letters. Find better container for Christmas tree. Find better container for Christmas ornaments and decorations. Go through framed art with husband and see what he wants to keep. Cha, you should start keeping a master list of every task you accomplish that's related to decluttering. I tend to do the same thing (discount my efforts and get overwhelmed by the bigger picture), so writing down what I've done keeps me motivated. Urs, the laundry gets me too. And then I've left it in the dryer and it's all wrinkly and doesn't even look like it has been washed! I'm doing it right now! :bash: Did your buyer show up?
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sun May 18, 2008 7:51 pm

mango wrote: Cha, you should start keeping a master list of every task you accomplish that's related to decluttering. I tend to do the same thing (discount my efforts and get overwhelmed by the bigger picture), so writing down what I've done keeps me motivated.
Mango, I had this same thought this morning. I was thinking of re-joining the 150 steps thread as a way to outline in a structured way what I actually do accomplish. Congratulations on the successful sale! Way to go! Apparently my neighbor and I are having our sale in two weeks, which works well for me. I'm off this Friday and the following week, so hopefully I can get a lot ready to sell and some more cleaning done around the house. This weekend I worked in the yard, got more things ready to sell, cleaned the kitchen and bathroom sinks and started filing some papers. I'm exhausted and am getting ready for bed! Good night everyone!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Mon May 19, 2008 7:14 pm

I think I'm going to have to start listing my business start-up steps here too. I'm out of the habit of 150 Steps, and not sure why. Took a magazine to work today to give away. Brought home recyclables from office. Shredded no-longer-important documents. Put the artwork/letter boxes together for my husband.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Mon May 19, 2008 7:49 pm

Mango, I think it's fine to list your business plan accomplishments here. I think getting things done that need to be done is a way of decluttering your life and mind. Today I worked, mopped the kitchen floor, got the car washed and filed more papers away. I also started outlining an aggressive plan to get a lot done around the house when I'm off work next week - can't wait!!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Tue May 20, 2008 10:14 am

Hi everyone, Cha - an aggressive plan? Sounds good I think someone standing over me with a loud drum might do the trick :D mango, I understand about the 150 steps, I've dropped out moreless as I can't seem to follow it nowadays. For a few months now I planned to stop. I think it's changed a lot. Perhaps we're changed too. This week I hope to do some more DIY, even 15 mins worth. I find that once I stop something it's hard to push yourself to carry on. I've got to stop in all day tomorrow as someone's coming over for the gas but have no appt time. So hope to do something on my lists.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed May 21, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi everyone, I had a bit of a panic today putting it mildly about an unexpected event in the house. Thought I was going to have a heart attack. I'll save you the dramas. But while I was going round the rooms I noticed all these strange things on the ceiling (as you do :D ) and then got into a second panic about that. So I had someone round to deal with the first thing and mentioned the ceiling. It looked like some sort of strange wooden toothpicks coming out. Very simple explanation in the end, but because I was in such a state everything seemed magnified. Because of all that today I've now got a long list of things to do tomorrow cleaning wise plus more outdoor projects but I'll have to hire someone for those. And on top of that the window handle of the room with all the action today sheared right off. I didn't think that was possible. I was going round the house outside and inside today and notice SO MUCH needed doing so I'll be boring you all with the procrastination that will no doubt take hold of me.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu May 22, 2008 10:22 am

Did a load of cleaning upstairs.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Fri May 23, 2008 9:18 pm

Hi Unity, I understand how your feel, looking around your house and seeing so much that needs to be done. I feel the same way! Keep up the great work! I am off work all next week and I want to make serious progress around the house. I did a few minor things today, the most important of which was creating a list of everything that needs to be done. I add to the list as I think of things. I realize that I most likely won't get everything done on the list, but, being a very visual person, the list helps me begin the process of organizing my time. I also find it very gratifying to be able to cross off items as they are done! I did manage to go through several boxes of stuff. I am reboxing the things I plan to keep and am getting rid of all large, unmanagable and very small boxes. I have at least ten broken down boxes to take to the recycle center tomorrow. I also have a few other things to take, which makes me very happy. I found a few more small items to mark for our yard sale which begins next weekend. I am really looking forward to getting rid of a lot of stuff! And I do find myself being a little more ruthless as I move through this stuff. As I get some of this stuff taken care of, I do find that I am feeling a little freer and am better able to envision what I'd like my life to be like going forward. I don't have a complete picture yet, but it definitely involves focusing my resources on quality people and experiences rather than the accumulation of stuff.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Sat May 24, 2008 10:21 am

Hi all, I find it so hard to get anything done (and post) now that I am back to work. Urs, I will PM you later. :D You are both doing so well! I made a master shopping list (hopefully, this means that my husband can share the shopping duties). I re-did the daily, weekly, and monthly task lists and will be laying down the law about getting help with those tasks. I re-did the 'cleaning instruction sheets' so that no one can say that they don't know how to do something. I sold 3 items on eBay. The VVA picked up all of the left-over items from the yard sale. I took everything that I haven't used in a while out of the kitchen cupboards and set them on the counter to think what I should do with them. I think I will try to sell a few of the larger items, and box up the rest for charity, because... I've decided to stop cooking. I enjoy it, but I don't have time to get to the gym and have a clean house if I'm planning menus, shopping for special items, and trying to cook dinner every night. And those other things are currently more important to me. I will keep the kitchen stocked with plenty of fresh produce, sandwich fixings, cereal, etc. and people can fend for themselves. Today, I hope to accomplish the following: Go through my bin of personal stuff and pare it down again. Put my pile of recipes in a special box and store it in the closet. Get husband to go through one box of his stuff with me. Get husband and nephew to go through box of cords and wires with me. Get husband to remove hard drive from old computer. Box up unopened food for charity and toss remaining ingredients that I won't be using anymore.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat May 24, 2008 6:23 pm

It's funny that when I make a list of things to be done, I inevitably rebel and do mostly other things. :P Listed another item on eBay. Put some more stuff in a box for charity. Moved everything that I took out of the kitchen into the study. I will box it all up, date it, and give it away if I don't use it within 6 months. Put all of my recipes into a nice box and put it away in a closet. Made dinner (I have ingredients left over for 2 more meals, so I made one tonight and will make one tomorrow). Consolidated all of my lists and notebooks. Here are my ongoing lists: to do (soon), addresses for items to be mailed, plans for extra money this month, plans for getting enough money together for husband's trip, list of money expected to arrive, list of items to sell, list of 'wants', list of what to do with next bit of extra money, categories for freedom accounts, library books to find, longer-term to do list, money-making ideas, and money-saving strategies. Re-purposed a notebook for carrying in my purse. Cleaned out my purse. Laundry, laundry, laundry. Reorganized the file folder that contains all of my important day-to-day papers. Set aside two magazines to take to work. Got through some of the daily and weekly cleaning tasks. Updated shopping list.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sun May 25, 2008 3:42 am

Cha and Mango, you've both been busy as usual. I'm now employing the 15 mins rule but as laundry/paper piles seem so intimidating I've changed it to the 2 min rule :D so I put a few clothes away and did a lot of envelope tearing and putting papers into a folder, ready to file. I've been having a lot of unexpected dramas in the house this week - another one this morning. It might seem silly why I'm not saying what it is but it's to do with one of my biggest fears and I'm somehow dealing with it but talking about it makes me freak out. I've realised that because of what happened on Wednesday and today that it's possible that there will be much more to come and I'm surprised I haven't packed a bag and disappeared :shock:
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sun May 25, 2008 8:31 am

Had a very busy day yesterday and unfortunately didn't get restful sleep last night so I'm still exhausted! Took about 12 broken down boxes to the recycle center yesterday - glad to get them out of the house. I spent most of yesterday working in the yard. It was a beautiful day. I'm grateful for 50SPF sunscreen! :) I got the lawn mowed (still need to call the guy who advertised mowing in the local paper), pulled out some dead branches, burned the brush pile, filled holes with dirt. I still have more outside work to do, but I think it may storm today, so I'll be back inside, tackling more stuff from the attic. I also need to take flowers to the cemeteries for Memorial Day. Mango, I have a hard time getting anything of substance done when I'm working, too. Unity, The 15-minute rule sounds good. Whatever works, right?!? More later ... Cha!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Sun May 25, 2008 12:13 pm

I'm sorry you're going through that, Urs. Cha, congrats on your outside progress. Do you plan to sell the house when you are finished? Removed hard drive from old computer MYSELF! :D :D Went through box of wires and cords with husband and got rid of about half of them. Got electronics together to recycle. Looked for a missing part for one of the items that I already sold on eBay! Haven't found it yet! Boxed up items that I sold on eBay. Found a few more things to sell. Boxed up the kitchen stuff. May just give it away rather than waiting.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun May 25, 2008 8:33 pm

How strange, I thought I posted again. :bash: Found the missing piece for the eBay item. Phew. Went through my box of photos and got rid of a lot of them (duplicates, blurry photos, people/things I don't remember). I think I will have just the right amount of photos to make up a few nice albums. That would make me happy. Also found a very old photo album (from the 1970's) that has photos stuck to the pages. Will have to figure out how to remove them without damaging them. Went through my bin of keepsakes and collected all other photos for photo box. Collected all undeveloped film (some 20 years old!) and put in a plastic bag. Did some research on the internet for companies who develop old film. Sorted through box of wedding stuff for eventual scrapbook. Found the wedding video (Eeek. We've never watched it!). Thinking about having it transferred to DVD and then editing it and adding the music we were listening to when we went on our wedding trip. Frank Sinatra! (It was Las Vegas), what can I say?).

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sun May 25, 2008 9:32 pm

Hi Mango, Yes, I do plan to sell this house and relocate. I'm trying to work up the courage to move to a different part of the country. Try a scrapbook supply store for something to help you remove the pictures from your older photo album. I have some photos of my grandparents on their wedding day that were glued into an album. I haven't done anything with them yet, but I was told that there is something that will safely remove the photos which is sold is such stores. Another busy day. I did two loads of laundry and two loads of dishes. I visited the cemeteries and went through a number of boxes from the attic. Two of the boxes I brought down were the boxes containing my remaining Tupperware. I have decided to sell some of the larger pieces (maybe more). I also found a hand vac that I don't think I've ever used, and that will be taken to the yard sale, too. I also spend time reviewing my to-do list and deciding what I wanted to focus on this week and what can be done on the weekends. Off to bed - good night! :)
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges