MAY FINANCIAL LIST CHALLENGE

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

MAY FINANCIAL LIST CHALLENGE

Postby Unity » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:54 am

Welcome to the May financial thread. List your goals for the month and receive support along the way.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: MAY FINANCIAL LIST CHALLENGE

Postby Unity » Thu May 01, 2008 2:41 am

Hi everyone, Short to-do list to begin this month- 1. insurance claim when details come through 2. fees form 3. elec bill to pay
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Thu May 01, 2008 9:14 am

Hi Urs! Here are some things that I would like to get done: I want to get a rent cheque from my nephew. I want to have the financial conversation with my husband. I want to make a prioritized list of ways to lower expenses, and start doing them. I want to plan dinners for each week around ingredients that I already have. I don't want to spend one penny that isn't necessary. I want to put every extra penny into savings, to be transferred to credit card #1. Happy May, everyone!
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu May 01, 2008 9:30 am

Hi, I thought I'd cram in the form between outside jobs but unhappy to discover that it covered a time period that I hadn't already worked out in the previous 100 (it seems like that many LOL) forms that I'd already done this year :( So it will be a 4 coffee job and not a quick 15 mins as I thought. Can't start it until next week as don't have enough time.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Thu May 01, 2008 7:28 pm

My therapist suggested not having the financial conversation with my husband until after I go back to work. So... I guess that's off the list for a little bit.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Fri May 02, 2008 10:11 am

Hmmm. So after going over his budget for his trip, my husband said he wanted to buy some grass seed and straw today to work on the lawn. This is near the top of his priority list and near the bottom of mine. He asked me what card he should use to pay for it, and I said that we couldn't afford to buy it because he went over his budget for his trip, and we now have no extra money. He said 'Well, this has to get done. It's only a bag of seed and some straw'. Do you see the disconnect? Me: we don't have the money right now. Him: I'm going to do it anyway. :(

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Fri May 02, 2008 10:17 am

Mango, Your husband reminds me a lot of my brother-in-law. My sister has a contast battle trying to get her husband to understand that they don't have money for extras just because he found something he wanted at that moment. I got my bank statement in the mail yesterday so I balanced my checkbook (well, I always do that, but I compared it to the statement amounts) and sent in deposits for my money market and ROTH IRA accounts. I saw a financial guru named Dave Ramsey on TV last night. I reserved one his books at the local library - can't wait to delve into that! I'm at work now so I have to scoot!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Fri May 02, 2008 11:41 am

Cha, he must be a financial guru laughing his way to the bank if people are buying his books! (I noticed you are going to the library instead) On this subject, I went to a large bookstore today and couldn't believe the amounts of books on 'finding happiness' and 'get wealthy'. You rarely get anyone reading just one book. The same person probably reads hundreds on the same subject (oops, confession time). So who is getting rich and happy? The authors I guess. When I first came across that genre of books there were only a handful and now there are thousands. A real moneyspinner for some authors who write a couple a year on virtually the same topic. Mango, this does look like 'take a stand time' coming up for you.You husband has got to be made to understand (somehow) how you feel.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat May 03, 2008 9:27 am

I got the cheque from my last editing project! Straight into the bank and then to the credit card company. That will pay off 35% of the balance on credit card #1. :D Must enter receipts, balance bank account, pay bills, and mail cheques today. Then I can update my spreadsheet and assess the damage from my husband's trip. THOSE NEW EMOTICONS ARE CREEPY!

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat May 03, 2008 2:56 pm

Well, damn. My husband had a $500 budget for his trip, and he spent $1000. He's also $200 over his 'discretionary' money for the month. So, we had the financial conversation. I told him that if he wants to continue to do what he wants to do, we will have to lower expenses and make more money. He wants to split up our finances into 3 accounts (joint, his, mine) and manage his own money (after joint expenses are paid). I'm fine with that. However, right now he has no extra money AND I'm making his car payment. That will change next month. He said that I shouldn't have to worry about his trips and his expenses, and that he will figure out how come up with the money. We shall see.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat May 03, 2008 6:44 pm

I got the rent cheque from my nephew. I've thought of a plan to get my husband to help with the money-making efforts. Maybe I will offer to split the proceeds for anything that he helps me with (yard sale, online sales, etc.), and then he can put his half toward his trips, etc. and I can put my half toward our credit card debt. Not an ideal solution, but maybe one that would get him started in the right direction.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat May 03, 2008 7:21 pm

I entered receipts, balanced the bank account, paid bills, deposited cheques, and updated my financial spreadsheet. Unfortunately, the trip disaster has sidelined my plans to put all of the editing money on the credit card.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sun May 04, 2008 4:22 am

Hi mango. I hope that your husband will keep his word and help out and not do anything else extravagant. Are all the bills in joint names? I've done most of the dreaded financial form but got stuck on one question as I don't seem to have any of the info they need. Instead of getting stressed I think I'll just add a note that I can't find it. Also in the past months I've had READING LETTERS PROPERLY on my steps list. I nearly missed a very important bit of information this morning as it was added to the back of the form in the notes section. Relief I spotted it. Insurance claim - as I rang out of hours they said that all my info wasn't coming up and trying to imply I wasn't covered for the bike :evil: I was reading my policy over the phone so know that I am.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun May 04, 2008 8:51 am

Urs, I hope you prevail with the bike issue! Just spent another $70 so that my husband could enter another (!) marathon, and $58 on my bookkeeping course. My little editing cheque is now down to $600 or so. :( But it all stops today. :evil:

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sun May 04, 2008 11:51 am

If he was doing that to me I think I'd be tempted to be packed and gone when he returns. Or play his game and buy a sports car myself with a toyboy chauffeur :D Success - financial form in the envelope ready for posting.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges