MAY FINANCIAL LIST CHALLENGE

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: MAY FINANCIAL LIST CHALLENGE

Postby Cha! » Sun May 04, 2008 3:09 pm

Mango, I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time getting your husband to understand and buy into your life choices. What do you think the barrier is? I mailed in a $10 rebate and cut and filed my coupons from the Sunday paper. I also wrote out checks to my ROTH accounts. My economic stimulus check is set to arrive this week ... and I will probably use it to fund my IRA. I'm so dull and boring! :lol:
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Mon May 05, 2008 9:12 am

Paid a bill that I usually put off until the last minute every month and then have to worry about having enough money to pay.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Mon May 05, 2008 1:26 pm

Put a book on reserve at the library called "The Richest Man in Babylon". It's supposed to be a good parable about growing wealth. I've heard of it before and saw it mentioned somewhere again and decided to check it out. Yes, Unity, I'm glad you noticed that I use the library rather than spend money on a book about saving money! It doesn't make much sense to me not to use this free resource when trying to develop a plan to save! :D Besides that, I am gathering and pricing a bunch of books to sell at our upcoming yard sale - I already have plenty of books and I certainly don't need anymore!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Mon May 05, 2008 8:25 pm

I have that book, Cha. It's great! I received a cheque for an eBay sale. I would like to get a few things listed on eBay and Craigslist tomorrow. I would also like to balance the bank account. Then I have to think of something to get my mom for Mother's Day.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue May 06, 2008 2:27 pm

Putting off listing stuff for sale, at least for today. Will enter receipts, balance the bank account, pay some more bills, and get the cheques ready to deposit.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue May 06, 2008 8:03 pm

Done! I entered receipts, balanced bank account, paid bills, got cheques ready to mail, AND... Paid an extra $500 on the credit card (before we spend it on something else). :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Wed May 07, 2008 7:42 am

Listing some stuff for sale today. I've also started doing a better job of 'breaking down' my receipts. For instance, I spend $200 at Walmart, and I would usually subtract that total from the groceries category. However, mixed in with the groceries are various pet supplies, personal items, and miscellaneous items, which each have their own spending category in the budget. So, I log the receipt total in my cheque register, but I subtract out the non-grocery items and add them to their respective categories. It's more work, but it gives a much clearer picture of where we are over-spending and/or not budgeting enough for a particular category. Plus, I've started reading 'Getting a Life' (a follow-up book to 'Your Money or Your Life'). In my humble opinion, 'Your Money or Your Life' is the best financial book EVER. :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed May 07, 2008 10:42 am

Mango, you must be the account book Queen! I can see how you would want a clearer picture of all outgoings. You have been very busy lately with your finances. May/June list addition - get ac/s updated without losing temper with cashier that always tries to get me to either change accounts or else see the financial adviser AND I DON'T NEED OR WANT TO.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Wed May 07, 2008 12:28 pm

Read a few more chapters in 'Getting a Life'. Have the box of stuff to be listed for sale sitting beside me... :oops:

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Wed May 07, 2008 8:00 pm

mango wrote: In my humble opinion, 'Your Money or Your Life' is the best financial book EVER. :D
Mango, I'm going to check out this book (from the library, naturally! :D ) Today I paid bills (love that online bill pay!), wrote a check to my ROTH IRA account and discovered that my pay check is more than I thought it would be! Still waiting for my economic stimulus check. Next week I'll be attending some financial seminars - really looking forward to that. I am also going to recommit to listening to my Jean Chatzky cds. I started them several weeks ago but let them drop by the wayside. Time to get back on track!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 am

Just signed up for Skype. They offer unlimited calls to cell phones and landlines throughout the US and Canada for $2.95 per month with no contract. You do need special headphones with a microphone, but I ordered those for $9 on eBay! Since all of my family and friends are in Canada, this should save me $30 per month on my phone bill. Plus, Skype to Skype calls are free, so I can talk to my best friend in Taiwan for free! :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu May 08, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi everyone, mango, you are doing well in cutting down expenses. Today I stopped DIY and got on with fiddly financial things at the bank and on the phone. You know the 'battleaxe super efficient' type that makes people anxious when they hear her voice? She met her match today, that's all I can say.LOL I didn't stand for any nonsense. A few days ago I was dreading the two calls I had to make this week but then I reminded myself that I wasn't put on earth to be popular especially if it meant other people could be hurt or messed around by others.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Thu May 08, 2008 1:01 pm

Well done, Urs! I should take a page from your book. I sent my husband a few part-time job ads that I found on Craigslist. :shock: We also agreed to cancel our satellite television service. And I'm going to cancel my cell phone plan, sign up with another company, and sell my overpriced Palm Treo. :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Thu May 08, 2008 4:59 pm

I'm going to cash in the money from the change jar (my husband keeps dipping into it). I'm also going to spring clean my car this weekend. :D That should save me big bucks.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Thu May 08, 2008 7:44 pm

Sending extra money to my money market & IRA accounts. Looking into two part-time jobs. I'd rather find one new full-time job that pays well and provides great benefits, so my goal for this month is to begin researching companies I'd like to work for and mapping out my job hunt strategy.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges