MAY FINANCIAL LIST CHALLENGE

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: MAY FINANCIAL LIST CHALLENGE

Postby Unity » Fri May 16, 2008 6:54 am

[quote="Unity"]NEW TO-DO LIST 1. insurance claim - PROMISED EMAIL DIDN'T TURN UP HOPE TO GET THE INFOR TONIGHT -to do ******* URGENT 2. check out benefits re bad back DONE mention to Dr on next visit 3. citizens advice bureau DONE hopefully will get more info from them by post 4. work out possible budget for a year 5. free solicitor appt or ask at CAB -GOT NAMES A. double check figures - DONE B. phone re above if incorrect - DONE C.tell her about the allowance form needed -DONE D. pay bill when figures correct with E. **** URGENT E. send check with allowance details and add note about it ****URGENT F. pay in ch.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sat May 17, 2008 11:33 am

Unity - you're really making progress! Keep up the great work! The financial feng shui meeting is this coming Tuesday. I'm a little curious to see what it's all about. I'll be sure to report in what I learn! :) Today I sent in a $10 rebate I had and developed a plan to save money from each pay check for my house taxes which are due at the end of July. I have also kept up with sending money to my money market account and my IRA accounts. I feel good about the plan that I'm on for saving. I also stopped myself from purchasing a magazine last night. For some reason, this is a big weak spot for me. But I saved the money and prevented more clutter - yeah! :)
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Sun May 18, 2008 7:00 pm

Hi all, Glad to see you are keeping on. I was in the ditch for a bit, but now I'm crawling out... :D Made about $150 at our yard sale and used it only for things that we needed. Making sensible plans in advance for tuition rebate and economic stimulus cheque. Checked FICO scores: 2 points away from where I need to be! Opened separate bank accounts for my husband and myself. Cooking at home more, and using up ingredients on hand. Cashed in change from the coin jar. Got a free Sunday newspaper, coupons sections and all! Plan to list a few last things on eBay and/or Amazon. Thinking about trying some 'hypermiling' strategies that I've been reading about lately. Urs, how did the figures turn out? Better than they were, or worse? You should be proud of yourself for tackling all of those issues. Cha, I'm amazed at the money you stash in savings while you're working on the house and looking for a job! Very inspirational. :D
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon May 19, 2008 11:43 am

Hi Cha and Mango, Glad to see you are both posting. Mango - I can't remember if the figures were worse or better all I know that it was a dreadful muddle because unknown to me a certain agency stopped payment for a reason I was unaware of. Today - wrote the check and posted it. Then I sent the form I was told not to send :D I had to do this because I knew that otherwise the very detailed information wouldn't be relayed properly after discovering that the person I was sending it to, (who was then to put in on a seperate form) was told that instead of getting it from me, to phone a 3rd person that wouldn't have all the relevant information. All this mess is down to the (swear word) advice centre that I will never visit again :evil: Finally after upteen phone calls from the same person, sold some books, unfortunately the person who called round for them managed to nearly tear the money in half! I have to find something in the house to list this week. IN a charity shop I saw a Thunderbirds book I was very tempted to buy for the collectibles market so I could sell it but suddenly realised that I would have to charge at least 3 times the price to make it worth my while. Cha - magazines - I couldn't restrain myself today and bought one plus 2 bags of snacks. What are you saving for - anything in particular? Mango- you made a lot at that yard sale. What is hyperilling?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Mon May 19, 2008 7:02 pm

Received a dollar bill in the mail today. Weird. Husband changed the phone service to get rid of features that we don't use. That will save us about $30 per month ($360 per year!) and keep us from having to switch to a different provider. :D Received a rebate cheque for online shopping: $18.24. Balanced the bank account. Wrote letters to credit bureaus re: fraudulent inquiries. Paid a few bills. Wrote down techniques for hyper-miling. Urs, hyper-miling is using different techniques (like keeping your car tires fully inflated) to dramatically improve your gas mileage. Decided to take a big container of filtered water to work, rather than buying bottled water and taking three of those every day. (The water at work doesn't taste good). Will look into accessing retirement savings. Will look into raising insurance deductibles. Will look into cheaper HO and car insurance.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue May 20, 2008 10:05 am

That's a lot of work mango. Good job I just checked the threads as I totally forgot about doing the insurance claim today. Took weeks for the police number to come through. In the post came the insurance renewal so will have to do that later in the week.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed May 21, 2008 2:25 am

HI everyone, Finally rang the insurance co. with police number. NEW LIST 1. pay in check 2. insurance renewal 3. find something new to sell I have a few items I'm avoiding. Can't face putting them on my list as I know that I won't do them.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed May 21, 2008 3:12 pm

Had another 'serious' financial converstation. Now I feel quite sick as it was as though I was a fly on the wall listening in to me and I really don't like what I heard. My goodness, it was a reality check :shock: It's actually put me right off my dinner today (which is a first). A lot of serious thinking to be done now based on that unexpected enlightenment. And I feel that it even might have been a life changing experience.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu May 22, 2008 10:20 am

Had conversations with the insurance people, hopefully this will all be sorted soon. Had a 'buying and selling' conversation and in about a months time I could have a lot of stuff to sell although I could do it now but it could get a bit complicated.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri May 23, 2008 11:52 am

NEW LIST 1. pay in check DONE 2. insurance renewal DONE 3. find something new to sell TO DO
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Fri May 23, 2008 10:00 pm

Hi Unity, It sounds like you are going through some serious stuff. Be gentle with yourself. I've had to face a few hard truths lately, too, and it's exhausting. I attended the financial feng shui session and it was a disappointment because it was so unorganized. There were other sessions scheduled at the same time and they were all in the same room. I couldn't hear much of the presentation because it was so loud in the room. The scheduled presenter wasn't there but I am going to check her website for some tips. The person who did present, who is also a feng shui practioner, gave some tips. The things I did hear were: keep the areas around your front door clear as a signal that you are open to new opportunity and money, keep the lid down on the toilet to prevent money from going down the drain and the number 9 has significance in Chinese lore, so you should put nine crisp one-dollar bills behind a framed photo in the wealth section of your home. I'm not really saving for anything in particular although I will most likely need to replace my car in the not-too-distant future. Also, I am planning to relocate, which costs money. But for me, the goal has always been to make sure my money is working as hard as possible for me. I enjoy the challenge of doing better than I had previously done. I've always wanted and had a cushion of money stashed away "just in case". Having money set aside that I can access if I need it gives me a sense of security and freedom. I have two nephews and have tried to help them understand the value of being savers and now I'm teaching them about investing. My youngest nephew is really taking to this and I couldn't be happier. I've tried to help them understand that living below their means will give them a measure of freedom to do what they want in life and leave situations that no longer work for them, if need be.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Cha! » Sat May 24, 2008 8:31 am

Transferred money from my bank money market account to my mutual fund money market account, which pays a much higher interest rate.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Sat May 24, 2008 12:49 pm

Glad to see you are both doing so well! Had THE financial discussion with my husband. We went over the current budget, the changing budget (since private school tuition will be less this year), and the proposed budget (if we had a new house built).This was extremely good, we are now on the same page and looking forward to accomplishing both our personal and joint goals. Absolutely everything is up for discussion re: our finances. Decided not to have another house built. Decided to put sweat equity into this house so that we can sell it when the market improves. Decided to still have husband's mother move here, but move her into a small retirement community. Husband is applying for a new job that would increase his salary. Discussed selling my car and buying a scooter, or just refinancing my car. Discussed selling husband's new sports car. Looking for more things to clear out of the house and sell. Postponing husband's trip to see his daughter. Discussed 'freedom account' for expenses that aren't monthly (for example, car insurance, property taxes, etc.) Discussed savings and retirement accounts. Agreed to sit down and pay the bills together each month. Will get nephew to start buying some of his own food. I've decided to stop cooking (see other thread), so will be saving on groceries. I will continue to look for part-time work. Agreed to discuss all purchases over $5. Agreed to lower our expenses as much as possible. Much to follow!

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat May 24, 2008 1:12 pm

Sold a $100 gift card that was completely useless to me for $70 online. :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat May 24, 2008 1:51 pm

I re-sent an invoice to my editing contact that she hasn't paid for several months. I was going to let it go, but it's $49.00!

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges