JUNE CHALLENGE - CLUTTER/TO LIST/CLEANING/PERSONAL

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

JUNE CHALLENGE - CLUTTER/TO LIST/CLEANING/PERSONAL

Postby Unity » Fri May 30, 2008 11:51 am

Does this sound like you? Energy draining activities and people Cluttered house and untidy home Endless to-do lists Mountains of papers to sort Cleaning Garden to tidy Join us in tackling the clutter and receive support along the way.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: JUNE CHALLENGE - CLUTTER/TO LIST/CLEANING/PERSONAL

Postby kashtanka » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:19 am

I plan to spend a large percentage of my time on every area of home management, instead of a lot of costly outside activities. I feel very scattered now, and sometimes I'm so busy that I don't even have time to pick up the groceries.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mogget » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:11 am

Ok To Do's for June:- Week One: Draw up study calander/plan for new uni subjects Set up mushroom beds Plant herbs/vegie seeds out Assemble large kit wardrobe (and pack all the scattered clothes into it!) Get Snakes fed Call electrician to rewire snake cages, and set up large habitat (litter, glass, wiring etc) Get application into Melbourne Uni Week Two: Seals cracks in leaky roof Buy hanging pots to plant out lobelia's, allysum and sweet peas Sort through and discard old/unworn/ill-fittting shoes - donate to op-shop Take various electrical bits and bobs to Cash converters (old mobiles, vcrs, computers etc), op-shop or tip Move dresser upstairs Fill cracks in lounge walls Practice typing, goal to get up to 55wpm (from about 35wpm) Gid rid of "shelf of shame" of dodgey DVD's Week Three: Book purge! Sort and donate/sell unwanted books Move bookshelf to upper level - rearrange front window display Book Invigilator for exams Reinforce bathroom floor Start ripping my CD collection onto my harddrive (and thence to ipod) Take dodgey mattress down to salvo's Re cover the ironing board and move it out of "laundry" Bring heater upstairs Hang Curtains in bedoom and fix bedroom door for insulation Call Father in law and get new mattress! (more to come....)
Mogget
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:12 pm

Hi everyone, hope we all have a productive month. Just realised that my previous post has gone. This week - clear A's bedroom for Saturday, clean file papers belonging to A - or tidy buy fresh veg/fruit at the end of the week email L re hospital appt change This month - Paper filing Investigate that noise (sounds like a wardrobe being tipped over) usually in the evenings upstairs - think it's either pipes and heat or floorboards - or ghosts :D poltergeist by the sound of it. De-clutter books/cabinet that have been moved during bird saga Remind A of making dentist appt Front garden - plant Outdoor painting
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:40 pm

Hi all, nice to see some new faces. Welcome! My goals change from day to day. So, I just write down what I get done, and (sometimes) what I hope to get done. - did a few chores on the weekly and monthly checklists - almost finished with the chores on the daily checklist - gave husband ultimatum about office stuff (take to work THIS WEEK or it goes to charity) - tossed a few things from my bathroom cupboard Wow, Urs. Good luck getting rid of your spooky noise. Mogget, what is an invigilator? It sounds rather scary. Kashtanka, I felt the same before I started all of this decluttering. My mind is getting clearer now. I hope you have the same experience.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:39 pm

Hi everyone: Wow - it's hard to believe June is already here! Welcome, Mogget. You've got a very ambitious month planned out. Unity - I hope you get to the bottom of the scary noise and that it's nothing to be alarmed about. Mango - You've really been accomplishing a lot - keep up the great work! After my wasted week off, I have to return to work tomorrow. I really could use another week off. I haven't been sleeping well - maybe as I get more information and create plans to move forward, some of the anxiety will ease up. I did get quite a bit done today. I did my normal cleaning and got my trash ready for pick-up tomorrow morning. I got enough for an extra large garbage bag full of stuff, in addition to the usual stuff. I also started a bag for charity, went through two more boxes and did a bit more painting. I also listed some furniture for sale online. My goals for the month are to finish cleaning out the house and to contact a professional painter for an estimate and guidance. Our yard sale still has not gotten off the ground. I do have a few things in the garage that we're using for the sale. If things don't shape up soon, I'm going to remove my stuff and donate it. I'm not going to waste any more time with this. Here's to a productive week and month for us all! :)
Last edited by Cha! on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:54 am

I wonder how many of us have mogget's 'shelves of shame' :D Need to add some monthly goals re mental clutter/draining activities 1. forget it - someone who was supposed to turn up today to block a hole - hasn't! and it's the 2nd time they have let me down. Not worth the stress getting worked up and looking out of the windows every 5 mins or double checking the phone. 2.another 'let it go' scenario which is a biggie. All my life I've held onto situations which I know are not doing me any good, where I am doing everything in my power to keep hold of them and doing things I'm very uncomfortable with. One of those 'devil you know' scenarios where you can't trust that something better will come along. The reality is that if the people knew exactly what was going on in my mind they wouldn't be too pleased. This is what I'm trying as a shock tactic to remind myself whenever I feel myself going into 'do whatever it takes' mode. I imagine them being told certain home truths and the look of horror on their faces. 3. stop buying/library self help books - they don't help at all because I know exactly what the problem and solution is - but I'm too scared (point 2) to do it.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby summerbreeze » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:56 am

Hi All! Hi Unity, I like your humorous note re self-help books ...my challenge for the next week is: a. purging and filing papers lying about the apt b. getting a folder going with all information, advice etc related to actions to take toward a move and a new career... c.please help with this...I am looking for a class or a thread somewhere for people who are tying to get a clearer sense of direction re one's dream job. Pleasee does anyone know where to deal with this mental clutter? Is this what daybooks are for? Thanks.....Cathy
summerbreeze
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi summerbreeze (lovely name) welcome to the gang. Mental clutter - I am finding that by being conscious about it is half the battle so that when I my mind is going into overdrive I try to think about what has gone on then write it all down - then I can see connections with all sorts of other situations where I'm doing exactly the same thing but never realised. Then when the same situation comes up again try to anticipate your response (not easy) and do it differently. If you write down all your mental clutter here in the form of lists, it could be helpful. e.g. after I wrote the post above re the situations where I need to let go. I saw a relative and then walked home in a right old state as there are things about me and them that I find difficult to sort out. Suddenly I had a :idea: moment and saw the similarity even though up to that point I had never realised it was the same thing. Dream job - have you done the excercises in wishcraft? You could make it a part of your to-do list here. http://www.wishcraft.com p.s. What I have found is that if you have unmet needs then all the excercises in the world may not work. Not saying this is anything to do with your situation as I don't know you, but that I believe it's one of the reasons why lots of people keep on searching just when they think they've found what they want. If your mental clutter is about scanning subjects, write them down as well.
Last edited by Unity on Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:29 pm

Today - wrote email on my list No noises so far but I have noticed that I only ever hear it when I'm downstairs in the front room. I did a test walk/jump on the landing and the floorboards are creaking like mad so I'm guessing it is down to them but I wonder why nothing happens when I'm upstairs? (unless there really is a ghost that's shy :? ) Avoided doing any clearing/sorting although I've realised that time is creeping on and if I don't watch it, Saturday will be upon me and I'll be in problems as there's more to do than anticipated. It will have to wait as tomorrow I'm going with my craft club to a members house with a fantastic garden, as the usual premises are unavailable. I didn't mention it in my lists (forgot) but my lawns look like a meadow. This year something has self seeded in them that's really long and grows ridiculously fast :bash:
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:13 pm

Mogget, I commend you for knowing so far in advance what needs to get done! Summerbreeze, welcome aboard! Unity, hi! Today I had a list of things I wanted to get done. When I woke up I got on the treadmill. While excercising, my son called and asked me to meet him for shopping and lunch. So I figured, an hour driving, an hour shoppig, and an hour lunch. I thought I could do that and still get things done. Long story short, the whole adventure took 5 hours, and very little of my to-do items got done. (2 to be exact.) I don't mind though. Tomorrow is my son's birthday, and he lives out of state...two good reasons to spend time with him. Maybe that's why I normally don't do lists.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:01 pm

Welcome, Summerbreeze. I have found that as I declutter and eliminate things from my life that I no longer want or need, I am naturally getting more clarity about how I want to live my life. Have you tried "Take Time For Your Life" by Cheryl Richardson? It's a pretty comprehensive book about getting your life on the right track. I am absolutely exhausted today so it's an early bedtime for me. I did manage to mark a few items for sale and to list a couple things on craigslist.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby catladydi » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:30 pm

For June I want to: 1. Keep up the weeding and watering of the garden 2. Finish putting in a small pond in the yard 3. Keep up on exercises 4. Try to get at least 1 hour of study in each day: instead of skipping some days and spending 3 or 4 hours to catch up on other days.
catladydi
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:35 am

Hi catladydi, welcome to the group. I think my mental clutter list is getting much longer than anticipated. Just returned from a trip and I can't believe the kind of things I was talking about to people. It's just like physical clutter, with some of it you feel that you can't let go even if realistically you know it doesn't do you any good. So I say things and act in ways that I know is mentally exhausting, but can't seem to stop. And that's what is even more annoying, I'm literally acting most of the time, not being natural at all. I'm going to make the mental clutter the main focus of this month. Would be such a relief to make progress.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:35 am

Completely forgot about the room clearing that I was going to do today, however I did gardening instead -weeding for an hour and cut down the long grass in my lawn using hand shears. Bought a couple of plants that I visualised would go in my front garden but once I returned, realised that they wouldn't suit the spaces. Did some pot moving and outside de-cluttering. Felt fantastic. Had another mental clutter situation after visiting someone. Went away thinking either I keep away from ALL PEOPLE forever or else must get this sorted.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges