JUNE CHALLENGE - CLUTTER/TO LIST/CLEANING/PERSONAL

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: JUNE CHALLENGE - CLUTTER/TO LIST/CLEANING/PERSONAL

Postby Cha! » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:35 pm

Urbanpioneer = thanks for sharing the info about the article. I aspire to live a life with limited "stuff". Mostly worked around the house today - mowed part of the lawn, caulked windows, clipped branches, picked up branches from last weekend's storm. More storm expected ... :bash: Unity, I have had a few nibbles on a couple of things I listed online. I followed up on those today. I also marked a few more things for sale and took them to my neighbor's garage. She says she's going to have a yard sale this weekend. At least the stuff is out of my house! :) If it doesn't sell, I'll just drop it off at Goodwill. I need to focus my efforts on paper. I have gotten rid of some paper but would really like to finish the job this week.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mogget » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:10 pm

Mogget wrote: Week Two: Seals cracks in leaky roof Buy hanging pots to plant out lobelia's, allysum and sweet peas Sort through and discard old/unworn/ill-fittting shoes - donate to op-shop Take various electrical bits and bobs to Cash converters (old mobiles, vcrs, computers etc), op-shop or tip partial... Move dresser upstairs Fill cracks in lounge walls Practice typing, goal to get up to 55wpm (from about 35wpm) Gid rid of "shelf of shame" of dodgey DVD's Set up large reptile habitat Submit assignments for week 2 uni
Not got as much done as I would have liked this week. have been REALLY unwell first with a bout of tnsilitus and then a chest infection. Feeling beter at last today, but a lot of the handyman/garden stuff had to fall by the wayside. Taking stuff to pawn shop still on the cards but realised actually quite tricky to do without a vehicle, so will try to arrange a lift - so have slight concern that i will look a lot dodgey coming in to sell 3 vcrs, 3 dvd players, 2 stereos and 3 mobile phones, 2 computers. "Hi, my name's Mog and I'm a burglar...". Have reassigned some items to week 4. Week Three: Study and prep for essays due in week 4! Book purge! Sort and donate/sell unwanted books Take various electrical bits and bobs to Cash converters (old mobiles, vcrs, computers etc), op-shop or tip Move bookshelf to upper level - rearrange front window display - CLEAN WINDOWS!!! Discard old snake box Book Invigilator for exams Reinforce bathroom floor Start ripping my CD collection onto my harddrive (and thence to ipod) Take dodgey mattress down to salvo's Re cover the ironing board and move it out of "laundry" (Tidy Laundry) Bring heater upstairs Hang Curtains in bedoom and fix bedroom door for insulation Call Father in law and get new mattress! Cancelled as he is keepingit for the spare room. Week 4! Submit 2 essays and learning log Fill cracks in lounge walls Practice typing, goal to get up to 55wpm (from about 35wpm) Buy hanging pots to plant out lobelia's, allysum and sweet peas Retile shower Buy paint for bathroom Feed Snakes
Mogget
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:25 am

Hi mogget and Cha I'm having a clutter-fest due to those blooming moths - all the old coats and shoes have gone plus dried flower arrangements and other stuff. Never done so much vacuuming in my life :D Months ago I'd started seeing all these small white bits all over the carpets and I thought it was down to my son washing a tissue in his pockets. Another son had very holey woollen gloves, again I never made any connections until now when I've been looking up moths on the net and seen that the white things were in fact, larvae :bash: Cha - hope you finally got rid of all your clutter. Mogget - did you get an invigilator?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:07 pm

Hi Unity: Still no signs of a yard sale. I have decided to take everything I was going to try to sell that is still remaining in the house to Goodwill for a charitable donation. I'll leave the stuff that is already in my neighbor's garage in her garage on the off chance that she decides to have a sale. I'll donate whatever is left at the end of the summer to charity. Got paid for the books I had listed online, so I need to box those up and send them on their way. Also followed up on another email inquiry. And I contacted the granddaughter of a woman who had given several decorative plates to my mother. I thought the granddaughter might like to have the dishes that originated from her family. She is thrilled with my offer, so I'm working on connecting with her. I have started with my "10 things" again in an effort to keep moving forward with the big purge. I also decided to buy a new car, so I've been sidetracked doing research on cars, but I do also want to keep up the work in the area of decluttering. Today is the anniversary of my dad's death, so I thought about him a lot today. I also realized that a lot of time has passed since his death and I have spent the majority of that time taking care of my mother and cleaning out this house! I am sad about his death and also sad about the years that feel "wasted" in the decluttering of this house. I definitely want to get this done so I can move on!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Cha! » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:41 pm

Prepared another box of things to take to the donation center. Also got stuff ready for the recycle center tomorrow. Threw away old toiletries and household supplies. I am enjoying the fact that I can see more progress around the house!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:08 am

Great job, y'all! I'm trying to get back on track. Here are some of the things that I would like to get done this weekend: Laundry. Clean house. Set up room for husband's daughter. Get required items for Body for Life challenge. Schedule VVA pick-up. Steam clean carpets. Grocery shopping. That sounds like enough to keep me busy. Will be spending Monday through Friday next week in a hotel (long story), so I hope to get a lot of planning accomplished during that time.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:48 am

Hi everyone, mango good to see you back. Cha - hope you are ok after that anniversary. And that you get rid of your stuff! I think I might get away from a major chore I offered to do some while back- my parents furniture clutter from 3 houses back! My son is doing it. I'm still vacuuming like mad usually start about 11.30 pm. Got 3 lots of moth killer - spray, balls and a paper strip and if it doesn't subside I'll have to get professional advice next week. So my to-do's are - phone for advice re moths make hospital appt make dr appt photocopy statements ( :bash: a lot of financial stuff got lost in the post) email relatives in Scotland
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:27 am

Hi Everyone, Unity, I can't believe how much work you're doing regarding the moths! Good luck with eliminating them. I think it would be wise to hire a professional because there may be a bigger problem than you think, which is out of sight. Today's to do list 1. Cash in a big can of coins-can't wait to see how much I have 2. Go to Lowes and buy a gallon of taupe paint for my sewing studio 3. Go to Joann's for their pattern sale 4. Remove some old paint from a piece of furniture 5. Clean the blinds in my livingroom 5. Clean the walls in my bathroom (since I quit smoking I have been cleaning surfaces to get rid of the yellowish film) 6. Spend an hour knitting 7. Spend an hour reading (I am trying to rejuvenate an interest in reading as I haven't done much on account of spending so much time on knitting)
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mogget » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:32 pm

Mogget wrote:
Mogget wrote: Week Three: Study and prep for essays due in week 4! Book purge! Sort and donate/sell unwanted books Take various electrical bits and bobs to Cash converters (old mobiles, vcrs, computers etc), op-shop or tip Move bookshelf to upper level - rearrange front window display - CLEAN WINDOWS!!! Discard old snake box Book Invigilator for exams Reinforce bathroom floor Start ripping my CD collection onto my harddrive (and thence to ipod) Take dodgey mattress down to salvo'shave put this off due to rain Re cover the ironing board and move it out of "laundry" (Tidy Laundry) Bring heater upstairs Hang Curtains in bedoom and fix bedroom door for insulation Call Father in law and get new mattress! Cancelled as he is keepingit for the spare room. Week 4! Submit 2 essays and learning log Fill cracks in lounge walls Practice typing, goal to get up to 55wpm (from about 35wpm) Buy hanging pots to plant out lobelia's, allysum and sweet peas Retile shower Buy paint for bathroom Feed Snakes
I feel it's starting to snowball - work has taken a hard turn rcently and I'm not being a s productive as I ought to bein the evenings.
Mogget
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Cha! » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:03 am

Mailed the children's books I sold. Got a nibble on the couch I have listed online - someone is stopping tonight to take a look at it. I hope it sells! A co-worker is planning a yard sale later this summer and she said I could bring stuff to sale - yeah! Getting another small bag of items ready for a charity donation.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:20 am

Hi everyone, good to read the latest updates. I'm still dealing with the moths. Rang two professionals - 1 let me down, the other hasn't come back to me :evil: So I'll have to try someone else. I've got lots of different info about how to deal with it but it's like chasing your tail, you sort one lot out and another lot appear. I also didn't like the advice from the carpet shop of spraying meths. I've been making cedar oil sachets and putting them all over but now found out that it doesn't work unless you put all the items in a plastic container and seal it. Nightmares LOL Dining room still full of unsold items. This week I've been told there are supposed to be boxes of stuff turning up that my son is going to deliver and as samples. Now where are they going to be stored I have no idea. However, because of the moths, more stuff has been got rid of and I have a good idea how I want to the house to look to avoid further problems next year. Minimalist! A good way to cut right through the angst of de-cluttering old stuff. I don't feel any guilt at all. Mind you the house is looking a bit odd as I had to remove a tablecloth which was covering a dodgy table and there's fly papers everywhere. And I've stuffed tissue in cracks in the fireplace. I hope it won't be too hard to find someone to sort it out for me. mango - are you still de-cluttering and writing those lists?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Monthly Challenges