JUNE CHALLENGE - CLUTTER/TO LIST/CLEANING/PERSONAL

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: JUNE CHALLENGE - CLUTTER/TO LIST/CLEANING/PERSONAL

Postby Cha! » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:05 pm

Unity - it sounds like you are being very hard on yourself. Maybe you need a vacation? I donated a bag of stuff to charity and dropped it off tonight. I also started going through the cupboards gathering unwanted food items for a food drive at work. A strange thing has happened this week - as some of you may remember, I had a problem with getting my dumpster emptied this past winter because of the excessive snow. I switched to curbside pickup. All was going well until this week when I came home yesterday to find that the trash had not been picked up. I left a message for the pick up company last night, notifying them they forgot me. When I got home today, I found that the trash was still not picked up and there was no call from the company - no acknowledgment that I even called them. So I called again tonight and asked that the company manager call me tomorrow. Why do I keep having such an issue with trash?!?! I feel like this is blocking my efforts to clean out and it's really frustrating me. I hope it gets resolved tomorrow.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby kashtanka » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:56 pm

Cha, the garbage issue sounds really annoying, and I hope the problem is soon resolved for you. Even with some unexpected challenges thrown in today's mix, I managed to gather eight bags of garbage for pick-up. In the midst of decluttering, I have been doing some decorating with inexpensive items to perk the place up. I don't want to do much in the way of decorating until my husband and I buy our own home...but I purchased some decorative items like candles, a large mirror, a floor lamp and two small lamps, some picture frames for enlarged photographs for dirt cheap. For all of the items I paid a total of $120. The walls could use fresh paint, but it will probably be awhile before I tackle that.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:58 am

Hi everyone, Cha - the dumpster/trash situation. I'm sure there are many self-help books that would state that there is a law of attraction thing going on e.g. you might be feeling 'I'm always having problems disposing of my rubbish' and so you do! :D Strangely enough I had years of problems with cabs and after the first few times of being let down I became paranoid - and guess what - problems every time. Got let down twice this week by one man re the house, but another one turned up both times and I did find I had a different vibe about him because he'd done work on the house before and was very prompt. So perhaps there is something in it regarding your thoughts or it might just be down to a lack of organisation by the people letting you down. Do your neighbours have similar problems? Kashtanka - I bet you feel much better now you've spruced up your home. I've got a chore I must do TODAY no excuses. On the personal/mental clutter front - at the Dr's today for physical probs I mentioned some of my problems relating to the personal stuff and I've been referred to someone to talk it through. I was against this for years but on the spur of the moment, agreed.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mogget » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:16 pm

mango wrote: Mogget, what is an invigilator? It sounds rather scary.
Hehehe it does doesn't it. An invigilator is someone "of good standing" who will verify that I have done my exams without cheating; for my correspondence course. It's a bit annoying because you (obviously) aren't allowed to use friends... but of course all the people I know who could invigilate are my friends - this is how I know them! and of course I am unable to think of people who could invigilate that i don't know... There are professional services etc who do this, but I want to get it for free if possible (stingey!)
Mogget
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mogget » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:54 pm

Mogget wrote:Ok To Do's for June:- Week One: Draw up study calander/plan for new uni subjects Set up mushroom beds Plant herbs/vegie seeds out Assemble large kit wardrobe (and pack all the scattered clothes into it!) Get Snakes fed Call electrician to rewire snake cages (litter, glass, wiring etc) Get application into Melbourne Uni Set up large reptile habitat
Items in red now done!
Mogget
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Cha! » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:40 pm

Unity - I hope you find relief for your trouble. Approach it with an open mind but pay attention to your intuition as to whether or not it is working for you. Finally got the trash issue resolved. Didn't really get a reason for why my first two calls were ignored, but I was told there was a new driver who couldn't find my house. I got a call from the company Vice President of Operations with an apology and the trash was picked up today. I'm glad that's done! Listed two crystal items online for sale. I am emailing a woman in Canada who is interested in some of the children's books I listed online, trying to figure out how to get them to her quickly and in time for her grandson's upcoming birthday. I'm thrilled to sell books that we enjoyed as children to another child to enjoy. Spoke to the local ebay store. I'm going to take a few items to them next week and see how it goes. Took some golf clubs that I have had for YEARS (i hate golf!!) to Goodwill for a donation. Bagged up the aluminum cans in the kitchen and turned them in for cash. Left a message for the guy who has the ad in the local paper for lawn care. I would love to hand that off to someone else. Gave a decorative plate that belonged to my mother to one of her very good friends. Again, I'm thrilled to give something that meant so much to my mother to someone who will treasure it as much as she did. I wish I would have gotten more done today. I am motivated to move forward! Keep up the great work, everyone!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:33 am

Hi everyone, Cha, so relieved for you and your trash. Your comment about the decorative plate reminded me of something perhaps you could help me with. Over 10 years ago a friend that lived nearby and always had a great deal of stress and personal problems had lost her mother. I met the lady once when she visited (she lived a long way away). Shortly afterwards the friend gave me something of her mothers - a sort of decorative bit of china - not a plate but in the category of 'no idea what it is' but of a religous significance. I was a bit stunned but have kept it ever since feeling that I could not give it away. Now I'm wondering whether to still keep it, or if I ever see the friend (rarely) I could mention it and ask if she wants it back. I've also got an unusual cushion that she bought me that I found yesterday whilst doing some sorting in the airing cupboard. What do you think I should do? You're doing well with all your sales too. And cash for cans. Did you have many? Hi mogget, I've done lots of correspondence exams but they never asked for an invigilator. Hope you find someone soon. Re the counselling. I'm already regretting saying anything to the doctor. I think this will all depend on how the person operates. If she has to write the session up then I think I'll pass. In the past therapy was a total waste of time and more than once it led to situations I never expected with outside agencies getting involved - which basically lost my trust forever in talking to professional people so the next time I started with someone new I never discussed the real cause of my issues. However, years on and I need to talk it over with someone so I'll just have to see what happens. TODAY - MUST MAKE A PHONE CALL TO HOSPITAL must -DO SOME MORE ROOM CLEARING must - GOT TO DIY SHOP AND ASK ABOUT FILLING BIRD HOLE PLUS THOSE SWARMS OF LITTLE MOTHS Last night I did another hour of gardening - I really loved that I wished that I could spend all my time doing that. So why don't I??? Put things back into airing cupboard even though bird situation isn't sorted.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:52 am

Went to diy shop got advice. Want to find alternative for pests - look online tomorrow phoned hospital laundry washed, needs to be taken out of washer and dealt with later Unlikely to do the clearning/sorting etc. The more I know I've got a deadline coming up, the more I'm resisting. Real coincidence re my earlier post and the friend who gave me something years ago. I met her and talked about the object. She wanted me to keep it as it would give her unwanted memories. She said I could give it away if I wanted. It's small, so perhaps I'll keep it??
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:58 pm

Upstairs clearing, some cleaning, natural remedies for moths (I'm nearly choking as i've got cotton wool balls of essential oils very near to me at the computer) also mixed up some dry herbs and put round the house. We shall see if there is any difference.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby summerbreeze » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:53 am

Hi All, Quick commitment to a task: I need to write down what topics ttruly interest me and figure out whether to go for a PhD in psychology or change to a different field...or simply get into a good PhD program where i feel intellectually challenged....put my questions on paper by monday...Thanks summerbreeze
summerbreeze
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mango » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:45 am

Hi all, Returning from the Land of the Lost... :D I would really like to accomplish the following tasks this weekend: Put together and fill the box that I bought for recycling electronics and take it back to the store to be disposed of properly. Get the eBay and Amazon items that I sold recently packaged up, out of the house, and mailed. Start the editing project that is due on the 16th. Start on the house cleaning, as it has fallen by the wayside for the last couple of weeks. Get through one or two of my bookkeeping lessons. Call Walmart about the insulin syringes that I recently ordered but never received. Put nephew's room back together before he gets back from his trip (sold my desk that was in his room and had to take the door off to get it out). Think about career situation and come up with a preliminary plan. Happy Saturday!
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:25 am

Happy Saturday to you too mango. That's a long list of chores to get through. This month I hope to start- bedroom - must be ready by 20th paperwork piles ebay/classifieds - gather plants and pot up? bird hole blocked outside painting birthdays plus Father's day - find date of Anna reply to L email re form urgent Summerbreeze - good luck with your choices and decisions
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:25 pm

I got through a few of my tasks this afternoon: I put together the recycling box, filled it, and took it back to the store. I packaged up and mailed all of the items that I sold on eBay and Amazon.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:47 pm

I also put my nephew's room back in order, and put the door back on. Myself!

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:39 am

mango the door hanger - that was a good job to do. It must have been not that heavy? The outside door that was taken off the garage is so heavy that it is blocking my outside tap and I can't shift it. This month I hope to start- bedroom - must be ready by 20th paperwork piles ebay/classifieds - gather plants and pot up? bird hole blocked outside painting birthdays plus Father's day - find date of Anna Anna - discovered it was yesterday and I'd had a party invite but missed it amongst all my emails that I don't read reply to L email re form urgent - done adding - get outside door moved
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges