JUNE CHALLENGE - CLUTTER/TO LIST/CLEANING/PERSONAL

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: JUNE CHALLENGE - CLUTTER/TO LIST/CLEANING/PERSONAL

Postby missC » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:29 am

My to-do list this month is a to-don't list. I have an important accounts exam coming up, and must not be seduced into letting more interesting goals suck time away from revision. So: Don't list on ebay or amazon Don't start designing stuff for Cafepress Don't read novels in Spanish Don't start working on short stories or a new novel Don't sign up with Helium or Associated Press Don't revise maths with the intent of tutoring It's funny how 'productive' stuff can be an excuse not to get on with your highest priorities. Oh, and: Don't do more housework than will keep the place tolerable and free of infestation. I don't mind that one too much!
missC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby catladydi » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:43 am

missC wrote:My to-do list this month is a to-don't list. I have an important accounts exam coming up, and must not be seduced into letting more interesting goals suck time away from revision.
I love the Don't do list! Especially the housework one! :D
catladydi
New Poster
New Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:32 pm

I read in a book recently that stress is simply caused by not doing what we know we should be doing. It follows that the best way to remove some of the stress from your life is to do what you know needs to be done, and stop procrastinating. I know it's that way for me today: stressed in general, but I know it's because of the bookkeeping lessons and the editing project and the house cleaning, yet I'm not doing any of them... Worth thinking about.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:30 pm

Moving slowly today, but I feel myself warming up now. Removed the bed sheets for laundering. Replaced the down comforter a quilt. Postponed appointment with the shrink. Ordered more of the 'relaxing pillow spray' that I love. Had a nice long nap. Ordered glucosamine/chondroitin for the dog. Found information on the mail order pharmacy so that I can call about my order. Tried to call in rx refill but will have to wait until tomorrow as the system wouldn't let me leave a message. Made grocery shopping list. Picked out coupons that I will need. About to hop in the shower and hit the road for groceries. Lord help me, Wal-mart on a Sunday. Maybe when I get home, I can get through a bookkeeping lesson and edit a few pages of the new project. That would reduce some stress.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:36 pm

I was happy to read your post about stress, Mango. I made a big decision this weekend - anything that I cannot sell is going to stay in the house and will be auctioned the same day I auction the house. I have been running around like crazy trying to sell everything and it's driving me nuts in addition to not really paying off financially in terms of time, energy, etc. It's hard to for me to wrap my head around the fact that the idea of getting out of this house and getting on with my life really might come true!! I want to spend time gathering more information and developing a realistic time line for moving. I am very excited! I did my normal cleaning today, listed a few things online and marked a few more things for sale at the yard sale (which still have not happened). I also pulled weeds - we have had horrible weather this past week - tornadoes, heavy rainfall, windy conditions, high humidity. It's been a nightmare! I cannot wait to move from this part of the country. I'm going to finish my work for today and begin spending time before bed relaxing ... a new thing for me! :)
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Mogget » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:31 pm

Week One: Draw up study calander/plan for new uni subjects Set up mushroom beds - This item now cancelled, we have decided not to go ahead with this Plant herbs/vegie seeds out Assemble large kit wardrobe (and pack all the scattered clothes into it!) Get Snakes fed Call electrician to rewire snake cages (litter, glass, wiring etc) Get application into Melbourne Uni Set up large reptile habitat - This item must wait till after electrician does his thing, next Saturday, so moving to week 2. Items in red now done... In addition had a MASSIVE spring clean over the weekend scrubbing and rearranging bathroom, bedroom, loungeroom, kitchen, and shop! Went through shoes and donated two bags to op-shop, put other shoes I never wear )but can't bear to part with), along with clothes that don't fit into storage, and threw away clothes that were full of holes, worn out etc. Tackled "the heap" in the bedroom and have it tidies away, though still in need of some organisation. Got rid of all the packaaging form my x-trainer, sorted out the snakes, did heaps of laundry etc etc. Very very productive weekend. Week Two: Seals cracks in leaky roof Buy hanging pots to plant out lobelia's, allysum and sweet peas Sort through and discard old/unworn/ill-fittting shoes - donate to op-shop Take various electrical bits and bobs to Cash converters (old mobiles, vcrs, computers etc), op-shop or tip partly done, listed for sale Move dresser upstairs Fill cracks in lounge walls Practice typing, goal to get up to 55wpm (from about 35wpm) Gid rid of "shelf of shame" of dodgey DVD's Set up large reptile habitat Submit assignments for week 2 uni
Mogget
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:29 pm

Well done, Mogget! I don't even want to ask about the snakes as they scare me to death. Cha, I think that is a wonderful plan! Tossed the broken can opener. Well, nothing done on the bookkeeping lessons or editing project, as the shopping trip took forever. And I just remembered that I'm in surgery every morning this coming week and the next, so my day will start an hour earlier. And I had just decided to get up a half an hour earlier than usual so that I would have time to make my lunch and not be in a rush/late for work, and now I have to get up even earlier! Bloody hell. Time to get to bed.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:36 pm

Got a nibble for the sofa I have listed online but I fear it might be spam. I get spam responses from time to time from my online listing. I can't imagine a life where I have the time and inclination to send spam messages to complete strangers! :bash: Mango, I make my lunch every night for the following day. If I left to the morning, I wouldn't take a lunch. I am not a morning person so I hate the idea of getting up any earlier than necessary! :) It's still raining and storming here. I am so annoyed - it just brings back memories of the 100+ inches of snow we got just a few months ago. Geez!!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby summerbreeze » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:15 am

Hi All, thanks for the welcome! Sunday I rested and then read poems about roses in a local park with gorgreous roses.Could not face decluttering.Feeling so nurtured tho. Unity would love to hear more about your situation! Tell us about the difficualt people in your life.Perhaps humor can help! My job now: purge old papers.get papers i need in order. Summerbreeze
summerbreeze
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:14 am

Hi everyone, (wave) Just a quick post, not enough time now to read. Bird hole is temporarily blocked from the outside -looks as though it's in the cavity wall. Listed in classifieds. Forgot all about birthdays etc when I was out. :x
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:23 pm

I've been doing good with my goal of spending more time on household management. I am bringing the weirdest things into my home....painting supplies, lamp shades, nails, picture-hanging wire and hooks, etc. It's been awhile since I've used any of these things!
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:33 am

Tnere is an interesting article in this week's Time Magazine about the "100 things" movement for decluttering. Getting your possesions down to just 100 things is pretty extreme, but it just shows that a lot of people are realizing that their things are just holding them back and holding them down. To let go of them is to have the courage and the room to move forward.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:36 am

WELL DONE KATHY :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Hi urbanpioneer, 100 things -I can see it's possible if you live totally alone and never have any visitors if it includes china and cutlery. Or do they just mean books and other more personal items? Reading back I can see there has been a large amount of de-cluttering and cleaning going on. Well done everyone. How are those sales Cha? Bought something today dirt cheap that good very well be a sought after collectors item so I'm doing some research. I was vacuuming up those pesky moths today and had a :idea: as to how i ended up with them. I've been on the go all day and don't dare sit down or I get told off :D by my son who seems to believe i'm the same age and fitness as him. Now I wish that I didn't have all those piles of stuff to face in between doing things with him. Now if I only had 100 things, life really would be easy to tidy up. Son put the washing machine on and after over 3 hrs turned it back to stop as it didn't move on through the programs. I misheard what he was telling me about it and guess what I did? Opened it and out gushed the water :evil: Luckily I realised what was happening before too much came out. Still the kitchen floor is now very clean! I spent some time moving on the dial and luckily the water drained and finally stopped properly. I really didn't need anything else to go wrong LOL
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:34 am

Hi everyone, Following the recent trend on the monthly challenges using the word 'reverse' I had a busy day of reverse cluttering - piling the dining table up with stuff to sell.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:58 pm

Thank you Urszula! All the work has made me feel better about myself, and having people over. Urbanpioneer, that sounds like a VERY interesting article and I want to get it. I was wondering the same thing as Unity...which items do we count? I once had a simlar idea about clothing...to have four pairs of slacks, 2 pairs of jeans, four tops, etc.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges