JUNE FINANCIAL CHALLENGE

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

JUNE FINANCIAL CHALLENGE

Postby Unity » Fri May 30, 2008 11:52 am

Join us in working through you financial to-do list and receive support along the way.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: JUNE FINANCIAL CHALLENGE

Postby kashtanka » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:08 am

My financial goal for June is to cut down my grocery bill. I'm not really sure what I spend now, but it's a lot. I estimate that it's somewhere between $130-$160. That's for two people! My husband and I eat a lot of fruit and drink a lot of juice. Just these two things cost over $50 a week!
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mogget » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:53 am

Joining the challenge for the first time. My goals for June: Brown bag my lunch Open a high interest savings account and divert a portion of my salary into autmaticcaly each fortnight Fill out new Tax statement to allow Fee Help recovery
Mogget
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:23 pm

Hi everyone, Kathy, as fruit is good for you what are you thinking of for alternatives? Hi mogget, what is free help recovery? Me - find a way to avoid dithering and worrying about decisions as there are too many options. Accept it and let it be as it is now Block out some time in the month and think it through Change Get advice
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:49 pm

Hi all, and welcome new folks. - discussed with husband that he can't buy what he wants when he wants it and save the money that he needs for his trip at the same time - made shopping list and gathered coupons - will be coming up with a list of skills that I possess that I can use as income streams and listing my services on Craigslist - transferred money from PayPal for sale of desk - e-mailed my supervisor to see if we could meet for a beer and an off-the-record conversation
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:53 pm

Mango - good luck with the meeting with your supervisor. I listed furniture for sale online, cashed in the money in my coin jar and sent checks to my money market & IRA accounts. I've decided to put all of my change in the coin jar at the end of each day, just to see what happens.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:37 pm

Urszula, that's a good question. I don't want to live without fruit but the price is out of this work. Tonight my husband and I looked at our bank statement to see how much we had spent on groceries for the last month. It was $870. I want to do something about that...it's just sinful to spend that much on food. I am going to check out Sam's Club this week, and see what their selection and prices are like. Recently I've done all my shopping on the fly, when I could squeeze it in, and didn't compare prices or check sales flyers. Time to change. Has anyone here tried shopping twice a month istead of weekly, and if so, how does it work?
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:38 pm

Urszula, I meant to say "world" in the last post. :D
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:33 pm

Sent money to my money market and IRA funds. I have decided to contact a local business that manages ebay auctions. I need to find out what they sell, how much they keep and if there are dollar limits to what they will handle. I've decided that I don't want to spend my time doing this and that paying someone else to just get it done will be beneficial to me.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby catladydi » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:10 pm

My goal is to stay within my budget. I have gone over budget each month this year. Very annoying. I keep seeing stuff I want. Yes want: not need! Plus in June there are no birthdays in the family to throw me off budget! I have June budget all laid out and hope I can stick to it this month. Diana
catladydi
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:43 am

I can't get into gear for the financial thread at the moment as I've got room clearing, gardening and bird -hole blocking, and a close relative in hospital on my mind. Hopefully next week I can think straight although I did get some unexpected finances at the weekend so it's looking good. And I can convince myself that I don't need to find a job :D catladydi, your post reminded me that there are birthdays in June for me to buy for plus Father's day.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mogget » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:06 pm

Unity wrote: Hi mogget, what is free help recovery?
In Australia you can get the government to help you pay for your university study with an intertest free loan - This can be either Fee Help or HECS. It is paid back by deductions from your wage once you eran over a certain amount. I am over that threshold and have juststarted tertiary study, so I am getting them to take money out of my pay.
Mogget
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Cha! » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:53 pm

Exchanged a blanket i purchased for one half the price.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby kashtanka » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi Catladydi, good luck with your goal. Besides cutting down on my grocery bill, another goal I have is to cut out compulsive shopping. I am always finding cute things that my grandchildren would like, and instead of always buying I have to chill and say "Oh, isn't that cute?"
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:39 am

Hi everyone, Cha, that was a good exchange Thanks mogget for the explanation Kashtanka - re your expenditure in the month - if you have the available money does it matter if you spend it? Me- after seeing the DR it looks that the likelihood of getting any benefits re the back is dependent on an xray, which I've now been referred for, but it didn't seem likely the way it was talked about. So I'll have to think about the imaginary plan B :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges