JUNE FINANCIAL CHALLENGE

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: JUNE FINANCIAL CHALLENGE

Postby Mogget » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:37 pm

Mogget wrote:Joining the challenge for the first time. My goals for June: Brown bag my lunch Open a high interest savings account and divert a portion of my salary into autmaticcaly each fortnight Fill out new Tax statement to allow Fee Help recovery
Brownbagging going well Savings account opened Tax statement waiting on HR maager to return from annual leave Adding to my list: Read The richest man in Babylon weekly for 8 weeks (see my post on this book under Interesting Finds) Sell odds and sods to pawn shop (old mobile phones etc) Cash in my health insurance rebates Stick to newly drawn up budget (living on 70% of income, using remainder to pay off Fee help and put to savings)
Mogget
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:14 pm

My efforts to quit smoking have paid off this week, and I do mean PAID, as in aprrox. $60 as I was smoking almost a pack and a half a day. Talk about saving money. I am going to play with the extra money for a couple of weeks, and then I'll put it away in savings. In a few weeks more money will be opening up because a person we are helping to support is getting married! This week I spent the money I saved from not buying cigarettes to purchase home improvement items. Tomorrow I plan to shop at a wholesale club to save even more.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:31 am

Hi mogget and Kashtanka, $60 a weeek- you'll have plenty of money for extra craft kits :D I haven't sold any of my books etc so will contact a book dealer if they aren't gone in the next week.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:03 am

Hi all, Sounds like things are going well! Congrats on your progress. As for me, I've taken a bit of a financial backslide. I liberated some credit cards from the safe deposit box to pay for my husband's trip and use on my quest for better self-esteem, plus marriage counseling and therapy. I feel like it's money well-spent, but it's sliding us back in the wrong direction. On the upside, I finished a new editing project, and we're still waiting on our 'economic stimulus' cheque. Will try to get back on track once my husband's trip is over and I can plan a new budget.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:42 am

Hi everyone, mango, good to see you back and you are still going forward with your plans, and I think the extra outlay is necessary and not necessarily a backwards step. I just got a letter that I have got some backdated allowance but it was a heck of a lot less than expected (putting it mildly). So I can't rely on that money at all. So I do need the mysterious plan B :D
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:37 am

Hi Everyone, I haven't had a cigarette in 10 days, and I have saved about $100. Soon, maybe tomorrow, I am going to start an automatic weekly withdrawal from my checking to put into a special savings account. That will be MY money, and I'll save it for something special-don't have anything in mind at the moment.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:38 pm

How is everyone doing? Kashtanka, how's your saving and not smoking going? Today I mailed another rebate form. I am looking for a new car. As much as it pains me to spend the money, I really will need a new car soon, so it's better to get one now when I have time to look at several options. i am having fun looking at different models and trying to figure out the best deal!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:26 am

Hi everyone, Cha, hope you get a car you like. I got some unexpected cash (feng shui corner again??). to-do's 1. check if NI is being paid 2. tax form 3. fill in c.a. forms 4. phone book dealers 5. look at pamphlets - MAKE CHOICE and DO IT. 6. other items except books - relist
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:44 pm

Hi Everyone, Cha, I'm doing great with not smoking and saving money. I've already accumulated about $200! Thanks for asking. Today I must say that I got the best financial deal that I have in a long time. I caught the tail-end of a library book sale and walked away with a huge bagfull of books for $2. On the way out the door, I was smiling and patting myself on the back at the same time. Also this week I bought a few items of clothing at 70% off. Not a bad week but next week I'll be making a purchase that has no discount. A Mary Kay consultant will show me some new products and discuss skin care for aging skin. It should be educational, but painfully expensive!
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:20 am

Kashtanka - WOW!!! $ 200 - that's a massive amount. Just shows how it all mounts up. Last night I had 'a' financial conversations as opposed to 'the' one. This might sound strange but I know my own code :D so this means I can do certain financial things without worrying. I'm so relieved as I had got myself into a state about it for a long time. The boxes of yoghurt samples I had been concerned about about aren't turning up instead we have vouchers to get them free (I was wondering where on earth they would go).
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Monthly Challenges