JUNE FINANCIAL CHALLENGE

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: JUNE FINANCIAL CHALLENGE

Postby Cha! » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:32 pm

Turned in aluminum cans for cash. Had a nibble on some children's books I listed online. Listed some nice crystal pieces online for sale. Canceled my 6-month free Showtime account prematurely so I don't miss the deadline and end up paying for something I never use anyway. Balanced check book - statement arrived in mail today. Next steps: Look for a new (more liberal) checking account; Look for new (cheaper) phone service.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:45 am

Good luck Cha. Never thought of selling crystal. I hope my son will set up an ebay a/c as he's bought a lot of stuff from a rubbish tip that he had to pay a very small amount for - but was brand new in boxes. Then I can sell some of my things which I think will be hard to sell through classifieds. An ebay shop like you mention seems a good idea. Not heard of those. I'm trying an experiment re finances and other things in the next few weeks, I'll post when the time is up.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:48 am

Cha, I love children's books also! I'd be interrested in knowing which ones you have. Unity, I can't want to find out what your experiment is. It sounds intriguing. I went grocery shopping yesterday and saved $20 on my bill. I am going to save all my grocery shopping receipts and add them up at the end of the month. My goal is to spend $600 instead of $800. Concerning impulse shopping, the only item I bought this week was a doll making kit. That is going to be returned. Also, I'm not going shopping with a certain friend because when I am with her, I end up spending a lot. She encourages me to buy a lot of things, which is easy to do because of the stores we go to, and then I find out that she returned all of her purchases the next day. So I'm the only one who ends up spending.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:05 pm

Kashtanka, That's a big decrease already. Some weeks ago I started writing down how much I was spending on groceries, of course I managed to forget about keeping it up. Now my son is coming back for the summer so it will be harder to cut back. Complusive buying - mine is at a minimum. I've seen this really interesting cross stitch design to be done on canvas of a lady's face. It's very small and already set in a frame.. Never seen that before. It's very cheap in the 2nd hand shop and so far I've restrained myself :D What kinds of things do you mostly buy?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:08 pm

Kashtanka, Congrats on cutting down your grocery bill. I need to start reigning in expenses as well. I am selling 3 different sets of children's books: The Happy Hollisters, Nancy Drew and the complete "Little House" series. I also have a variety of single children's books like "Tom Sawyer", "Little Women", "Little Men" and several others. i love children's books, too, but have decided that I'd rather have them out doing a little good in the world than stuck in the back of my closet! Steps for today - more checks to my money market and IRA accounts. It's boring, I know, but it is working and I am adding to my balances, and that's the goal! :)
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:30 am

Hi everyone, Whilst weeding in the garden yesterday I was very annoyed to see hundreds of self-seeded plants of a type I don't want in the garden. However, it got me thinking it might be wanted by someone else, so, 'at some stage'=major resistance :D I will have to look up the name and see if I could sell it. It's an unusual type of grass/fern and grows huge - no idea of what it's called. Cha your consistency will be paying off with your savings.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:54 pm

My mom said I can take lots of plants from her garden so I've started looking online to see how much to charge. Also has some indoor items I could sell and keep the money. So I need to get organised. Paid a bill.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:49 am

The financial experiment :D God moves in mysterious ways. Basically I was thinking ultra positve about attracting certain things and this morning when I open the curtains I got the shock of my life when I looked at the front garden. There is a very heavy stone frog which is a planter full of flowers and a wooden wishing well of flowers and a sign saying 'guard dogs keep out'. I'm guessing it is down to kids moving things from other people's gardens. But that frog is too heavy for me to lift. I've got to ring my parents just in case they bought the plants, but I can't imagine why they would have put them on the lawn like that. I'll have to write a letter to the local paper so that the rightful owners will come forward. Not quite what I was hoping to attract but it made a pleasant change!
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:54 am

Urs, that is hilarious! What a shock that must have been. Financial tasks that I would like to accomplish this weekend: Deposit cheques. Balance bank account. Update financial spreadsheet. Transfer money from savings account to chequing account. Transfer money to chequing account for nephew. Remind nephew about rent cheque. Pay bills. Come up with a list of skills that I can post individually on Craigslist to come up with more part-time income. List a few items on eBay. See if I can find more books to list on Amazon. What I have done so far today: Read about 'freedom accounts' and started the process of getting one set up. E-mailed my money market account folks re: the $100 bonus that I was supposed to receive after setting up automatic deposits for a year (which ended this month). I'm proud that I kept that commitment.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:10 am

Hi mango, I'm beginning to wonder what set of subconscious beliefs I've got - first the birds now the garden ornaments! It's like I'm being a foster parent :D I went to the police station and someone will come round in the week and pick them up. I just hope that they will keep up with the watering. There were some nice plants in the stone frog. I've now put a sign up at the front of my house - just in case the rightful owner spots them and wonders if I'd taken them LOL I can't imagine doing all those financial errands at the weekend.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:27 pm

Yes, it was probably best to put up a sign. :D I deposited the cheques. I transferred the money from savings to chequing.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:35 pm

Finished setting up the Freedom Account. I'm starting with $58 per month, to cover annual property taxes on both cars, annual AAA membership fee, and annual homeowner's association fee. It is set up as an automatic transfer from the joint chequing account to the joint savings account and will occur at the end of every month. :D Also found out that my money market account will be credited with the $100 bonus on the anniversary date of my account opening (6/26). Yay!

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:01 pm

Urs, that is really funny! It gave me an excellent idea for a children's picture book! You get into the strangest situations, don't you? :D Good luck with getting the frog removed! Cha, I would love you to PM and tell me more about the Happy Holister books as I might want to buy some. (If still available) I have a Nancy Drew Collection, but not any of the original ones. Do you have any of those? Mango, have fun when the amount in your freedom account grows! Good move on your part. Today I had an experience that has happened to me three times now. One time it was at a Weight Watchers meeting, and two times it happened at writing confernces. (like today) This is basically what happened. At the end of the conference, books were being given out as door prizes. After several names had been called and mine hadn't....I remembered what I had done before, so I decided to try it. I turned to my friend and said "I never win anything." Wouldn't you know that my name was the next name called! So what is that called, reversing the law of attraction? Last night in my hotel room, while knitting and watching home shows on TV, I started thinking about furniture pieces in my basement that I can paint and SELL. I really love those shows because they get my creative gears moving!
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:38 pm

I love those shows too, Kashtanka. Balanced the bank account. Updated the financial spreadsheet. Paid bills. Transferred money for nephew.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:45 pm

I also took my own snacks (a bag of pretzels and a can of diet soda) to a movie instead of buying something at the theater. I spent $1.01, rather than the $9.25 that my husband spent on popcorn and a slushy drink. I wish there was a virtuous emoticon. :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges