JUNE FINANCIAL CHALLENGE

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: JUNE FINANCIAL CHALLENGE

Postby Unity » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:32 am

kathy, That reminds me of the advice that you shouldn't say to yourself 'I must not eat chocolate' as the only words your subconscious picks up is 'eat chocolate'. Lucky you with those wins however you get them. mango well done on your savings at the cinema :P Not virtuous face but 'razz' whatever that means LOL That frog - when my son arrived home after being away he was horrified by the frog on the lawn and was going to make a sarcastic comment but was talked out of it by someone. He was very relieved to discover it wasn't mine :D However, a strong man had difficulty moving it and had to sort of roll it on it's side to get it off the lawn. (I didn't want to end up with a yelllow patch) The night before I heard a car pull up and I thought it was the neighbour, perhaps it was the mysterious frog smugglers! I haven't been out the front yet to see if anything new has turned up.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:46 am

Hello Everyone, Urs, I cracked up when I read your comment about checking out the front to see if anything new turned up. You do have an exciting life! Mango, I did some reading of your blog last night, and I was very impressed. I was glad to see that you take the financial aspect of your life so seriously. As some of you might have guessed, I spend a lot of money for the conference, but it was money well spent, and I will just take it easy on the pocketbook for a couple of weeks. The only things that I can think of that I want to buy are paint removal and paint, in small quanitities. Painting a jelly cupboard and a lamp base are my next to-do creative projects. My husband and I had planned to get out of credit card debt by February, but that never happened. We still have a substantial way to go because of subsequent purchases, and our new goal is to have that debt out of the way by September. Our new estimation factors in new purchases each month.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby catladydi » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:30 am

Darn it! I forgot about Father's day! Also got a graduation notice from a friend's daughter. Guess my new goal is not to go over $50 over budget for this month! Thanks for the father's day reminder, though!
catladydi
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:57 am

Hi everyone, nothing new in the garden today but tomorrow will be a strange day regarding the green bags that we have to put out to be collected for garden waste. No idea why my bags are always targeted and they disappear. So I will be on edge all day to see if I can time it to look out of the window the exact moment the lorry appears. I put my address in massive letters in permanent marker, pink signs and added pink wool to the handles. So they are noticeable!! But, they still go - I think that someone picks them up as they look cleaner. Sometimes I wander round the neighbourhood to see if I can find them but often return with a discarded grotty one. :evil: Kathy, hope you get those compulsive purchases sorted out. I have been very good lately but still managed to buy some self-help books as though I haven't read enough :D but was very pleased I stopped myself from getting the latest xstitch magazine which had a free kit and illustrated frame for an All our Yesterdays design. Diana -unexpected events are hard to budget for. Glad I just read your post because I temporarily forgot about the birthday happening this week. Just realised I posted the garden bags story on the wrong thread - should have been in CLUTTER.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:42 pm

Unity - that's so weird about you garden bags! I hope you can get to the bottom of it. I received one of the rebates I sent in.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:24 pm

I did two online surveys and received two $1 off coupons for my favorite bagel shop. I thought of a relatively painless way to finance my husband's upcoming trip. I postponed my appointment with the shrink (saves me the $30 co-pay).
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:35 pm

Ordered foreign currency online to be delivered to my house to send my father for Father's Day and my mother for her birthday. The shipping cost was a bit steep, but it will save me a ton of money in the end. I am always picking out things that they don't need, and then spending as much or more as I spent on the gift to mail it internationally. Even though cash might seem a bit impersonal, I would hope that they would use it for a treat of some kind. They know what they want/need much better than I do. Will be doing this for Christmas too. :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Talked myself out of bidding on a gorgeous but expensive bracelet on ebay.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:24 pm

My husband reminded my nephew about the rent cheque. I shopped frugally, with coupons. I picked up the Sunday newspaper for the coupon sections. I picked out the sales flyers for all stores that sell food/household cleaners/toiletries to see if I can find some good sales. I signed up at http://www.couponmom.com Still have to come up with some skills to list on Craigslist, list a few things on eBay, and find a few more books to list on Amazon.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:08 am

Hi everyone, mango, you are going strong. Where do your parents live? Cha - well done on resisting although it might have been nice for you I've got my own motivational guru at home now (my son who's into starting businesses etc), we listed some items online and I've been given non stop interrogations about what kind of work I want to do at home - I don't think I stand a chance to get out of it now :D I just had to talk him out of starting a wholesalers and I should never have mentioned that ebay shop that Cha talked about either :D Garden bags - luckily I was outside right when they were emptied so I could grab them quick. So I saved myself some money today - not having to buy any more.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:12 pm

I thought I'd better post this one because it's a biggee for me. Yesterday I purchased a pack of cigarettes for $5.75! I knew they were going up, but I didn't think it would be that much. (For any of you who don't know, NY imposed a very large increase of tax). I said to myself "I refuse to waste that kind of money on something I don't need." Imagine this: I can only buy one pack of cigarettes and one gallon of gas for about $10.00. That is absurb. Soooo, I awoke this morning and didn't have a cigarette with my coffee....and held off having the only one I've had all day for eight hours. I'm not bragging because it wasn't me who did this...it was a miracle! That's the only way I can explain the ability to have gone that long without even a puff. At the end of the night, I'm going to place $5.75 into a jar and start buiding some wealth.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:15 pm

Wow- Kashtanka, you are truly a person of strength! I could not buy the item I need to avoid and have it sitting right in front of me! How are you doing? I called the bank today and asked to switch my checking account to one that is more liberal than the type of account I have. I'll check my online account tomorrow to see if the change took effect. Got a commitment from someone who wants to buy some of the books I have listed that they sent a check to me. Followed up on emails from others who expressed interest in some of my items listed online.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:40 am

Hi everyone, Kathy I just realised that I did the post about your ciggies on the wrong thread, never mind WELL DONE AGAIN. Cha what is caulking mean?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:59 am

Spent all day placing ads, annoying as some I must have done wrong and had to re-do some. Instead of doing individual items I grouped them into lots of similar interests. Still took hours.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi everyone, Very busy, no sitting down at all - lost weight. Checking out charity shops for designer jeans and comparing prices on Ebay. Finding places to sell the toner - companies that buy bankrupt stock. Gone off into lots of tangents. Getting ideas for event promotions, reading up on past notes re subliminal advertising. Got a foreign buyer for one massive item, looking into shipping costs but the money won't be for me unfortunately. Possibly helping someone else houseclearance. Normal life, housework etc has been forgotten :D Hope you are all doing well.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges