JUNE HEALTH AND FITNESS THREAD

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: JUNE HEALTH AND FITNESS THREAD

Postby mango » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:59 am

Hi all, Sorry to have gotten lost again, but I've found my way back! Breakfast: multi-grain cereal w/ nonfat milk, cranberry/pomegranate juice, diet Dr Pepper Snack: nonfat cherry yogurt, sliced orange Lunch: sesame seed bagel w/ light vegetable cream cheese, banana, nonfat cherry yogurt It's going to be 100 F here today (that about 35 C for you, Urs). Eeeek.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:02 am

Glad to see you back mango. Are you still doing those laps on the campus? It's hot here too, but not that hot as you've got. Today - long walk, lunch out
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:29 pm

Urs, I had been doing the laps (sometimes 3!) until it got so hot. Must get back to it as I will be sweating all day anyway. :roll: Snack: pb&j on honey oat bagel, nonfat strawberry yogurt, sm glass orange juice

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Hmmm. I think I forgot to eat dinner. Snack: pretzels, diet Dr Pepper I was proud of myself as I went to a movie with my husband and a friend of ours, and I bought my snack (pretzels) before the movie and took a can of diet soda from home. Much healthier choices than the popcorn or candy and soda that I would normally get. Exercise: none

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:46 pm

Also downloaded the June class schedules for the YMCA. Will try to make myself go tomorrow.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:35 am

Every little bit helps mango. Today I'm probably visiting a relative in hospital and will get in some heavy duty stair climbing. (never go in lifts)
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:43 am

I'm feeling really pleased. So what that I've been eating cakes? Even ate a few today although small. This afternoon I walked 24 flights of metal stairs without feeling tired and stood up for a few hours as well. Last time I walked up those stairs was about 4 years back and I could hardly breath at the top so I'm obviously very much fitter. Also glad that I'm wearing a skirt a size smaller than normal. Something is working. I think I'm going to get back into the stair running excercises at home. How are you doing mango today in the heat?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:30 pm

Well, I got up, ate breakfast, and then went back to sleep. Oops. I felt guilty the whole time, but I am trying not to push myself so hard in every single aspect of my life. Breakfast: multi-grain cereal w/ nonfat milk, cranberry/pomegranate juice, coffee Snack: none Lunch: sesame bagel w/ light vegetable cream cheese Snack: very small bowl raisin bran cereal w/ nonfat milk Not thinking that I'll get to the gym today, as I'm lazy and it's HOT outside. Was happy to see that my husband has been very busy with household tasks while I've been sleeping. It's the exact opposite 99% of the time. :D Will be heading out for groceries sometime between now and midnight. :D Urs, congratulations on the stairs and the smaller skirt size. I know how hard you've been working.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:32 pm

Had some coffee to give me a kick start. It's amazing that I will go out and pay over $4 for a 'fancy coffee' when I can make a very decent cup at home for pennies. Must keep reminding myself of that.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:12 pm

Have decided to get back to a sensible eating plan that I followed years ago. The basic premise is to eat 6 small meals, each containing protein and carbs in approximately equal proportions. And daily exercise (alternating strength training and cardio). The best part is that one day a week is Free Day, which means no exercise and you can eat whatever you want. Apparently, it helps the metabolism from slipping into deprivation mode and stalling weight loss. Bill Phillips' 'Eating for Life' if you want more info. And guess what? Today is going to be my Free Day. :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:20 pm

Decided to look into a new gym that just opened up. I need to begin exercising regularly! Also going to start paying attention to my diet.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby spark » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:39 pm

The basic premise is to eat 6 small meals, each containing protein and carbs in approximately equal proportions. And daily exercise
That is how I lost, and kept off, over 100 pounds for five years now. Add to this: keep a food diary eliminate sugar stay away from temptations (regular haunts that serve desserts etc.) Mango - you will be so successful at this plan. Can't wait to see your progress.
spark
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Mogget » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:23 pm

Mogget wrote:Goals: Use my crosstrainer everyday, twice a day, and work my way up to 20min morning and night Brown bag a healthy lunch Continue to live caffiene free Hit the hay early
Up to 15 min morning and night, but have missed a couple of days due to the flu. Bah!
Mogget
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:19 pm

Thanks, spark. Mogget, I hope you feel better. Cha, that's very exciting! Dinner: Big Mac, medium fries, medium Coke That was the BEST fast food meal I EVER had, since I gave myself permission to eat it and announced it to the world! Also bought a bag of Doritos, but actually didn't feel like eating any of them after I gave myself guilt-free permission to do so. :D My nephew is going to hide them from me until next Sunday. Tomorrow, I will start the six small meals, along with vitamins, meds, lots of water, and a cup of green tea every day. I already drink 2 oz of pomegranate juice for the antioxidants. I also plan to call the YMCA and set up an appointment to find out how to use the strength training machines and the FitLinxx program (there is a computer monitor at each station that tells you what weight to lift and seat height and reps and everything, it looks really cool, but you need an intro session to get it all set up). Then I will plan out my week to alternate cardio/yoga/strength training, with Sundays off. I also plan to walk my dog every day for 30 minutes after work, but that's really more for his benefit than mine. Very excited about my new plan! Will weigh in tomorrow, and then weekly on Sunday mornings. I will keep you updated! :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:38 am

Hi everyone, Seems that we are all motivated and trying different things. I have been wondering where is the nearest tower block to me to use their stairs, but there aren't any here unless I travel a long distance. So I'll just have to increase my stair climbing at home. mango, i never got on with the 6 small meals a day plan that I tried some months back, I found I couldn't eat it after a few days. So hope that it works for you. Spark, I've realised that I probably don't always convey the full picture so if you saw me you'd be in for a shock. Whenever I mention to the doctor about my weight gain I get quizzical looks, as compared to most people I'm probably skinny. I think mostly it's that I feel uncomfortable rather than anything else (I used to have an eating disorder). e.g. it feels horrible now with thighs in the hot weather but when it's cold I'm not bothered at all and know they are slim. And I get frustrated with the types of clothes that are around now as I can't seem to get any to fit as everything seems to be hipsters so it's ok with skirts but not trousers. I incorporate the cakes into my daily calorie budget when I have them. And usually when I talk about cakes, I mean tiny ones, mainly a small square of cold bread pudding.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges