JULY FINANCIAL THREAD

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

JULY FINANCIAL THREAD

Postby Unity » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:02 am

Do you have financial goals for July? If so post them here and follow your progress.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: JULY FINANCIAL THREAD

Postby Beebelle » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:40 pm

Pay off my 500Euro c/c - 500*1.6= $800. So send a cheque for $1000 home this week. Eat out only ONCE a week, including lunches. Save $500 every paycheque- pay myself first. ;)
Beebelle
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby concentrate » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:29 am

Hi all, My goal for the month is to list my bills and their due dates. I get so angry when I don't make payments on time. I'm disorganized, that's why it happens. When I'm organized financially, my mood in all areas seems to be better. Good luck, everyone. Mary
concentrate
New User
New User

Postby Unity » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:58 am

Hi Mary and Beebelle, good luck on your goals. I've got the usual procrastination about forms this week so made a small step by putting them upstairs inside my diary (which I keep downstairs) a sly ploy to make me do it so I can return the diary to its rightful place :D Today - water testing/leaflet person coming round (I'll probably be helping with this - son's job) He's the only person in our area that is doing it. Gulp - all that walking (we don't have cars). Another of his jobs - unpaid -Yoghurt market research - I might go and get some today - we've got vouchers for lots of free packs Mango - how are you?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:53 am

Done yesterday- looked at my forms and made some unpleasant discoveries which may need appeals. emailed 1 book dealer relisted ads on different site water test job - more involved than originally thought so I might help with the organising. To - do ASAP- Get advice re CA appeal Get advice re NI Home feedback form Tax form Gas bill TO DO IN JULY chase up book dealers keep re-listing Hope you have a good day everyone
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:56 am

To - do ASAP- Get advice re CA - done Get advice re NI - got phone number Home feedback form - done Tax form Gas bill TO DO IN JULY chase up book dealers - one refusal already keep re-listing Today I spent most of the day on the CA problem and doing a ton of filing
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:46 pm

HI everyone - welcome to our new participants! I bought a new car and a beautiful new chair last week, so I have big bills to pay this month!! My goal for the month is to pay for my items, enjoy them, be grateful that I have the money for these purchases and get back on track with saving! I found a few lottery tickets that I had lying around. I turned them in and won $8! I am going to focus a lot of effort on improving my eating habits while trying to trim money from my grocery bill. I'm also going to do a better job of transferring money to my money market account so I can get the highest rate of return possible on the money.
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:01 am

Hi Cha, glad you bought things you wanted - and won something too. Reading that reminded me of a tv ad I watched last night about a new lottery scratchcard where you can win 1000 pounds a week for a year. Me- phoned re NI doing tax form but need info and can't get through on the phone - NOTE. As this is likely to be one of my final years of doing these kinds of forms I found, to my horror, that I'd always been misreading a section so could have always been putting in the wrong figures. I lost count how many months i used to have 'read things properly' on my 150 steps list :x gas bill ready to send
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:51 am

I think my update ought to be on the RANT thread as I can't believe how many times over the last months I've been given the wrong information by so-called experts. :twisted: So I still have to chase up and sort something that I believed would have been settled already. Made a horrible discovery. The place I usually go to the cafe and bakery for tea, cakes or meal. There is another bakers (no cafe) up the road which I occasionally go to for filled rolls but never look at their cakes. Yesterday I noticed they had this cake that I love - and always buy in the cafe to take home. It was much less than half price :evil: I normally pay. I'm hoping that it tastes awful otherwise I'll be kicking myself :D How are you all doing?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:42 am

Books harder to sell than anticipated. No buyers for other things either so some are going for a car boot sale Found out relevant NI details, no action needed until the end of the year. Helped my son with the sample job, I might take on a round as well as it was easier than I expected even though it was pouring with rain and we got totally soaked. What i didn't anticipate is taking the samples to the post office and having to add certain info to the paperwork then and there at the counter as I wasn't allowed to take the parcel away after they printed a postage label. Unfortunately dropped it and all the samples fell all over the floor, luckily not breaking. Next time I'll have to ask for stamps. How are you all getting on?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:06 pm

Hi Unity: I'm still plugging along ... how are you? Today I refiled my 2006 taxes for add'l money back. I also mailed in some losing lottery tickets to see if I get chosen for prize money. Sent shipping info to woman interested in my crystal candle holder. Sold another crystal bowl. Got more stuff ready for sale for next weekend's yard sale. Gathered some clothes to take to a resale shop. Now I'm going to list more things for sale online. I can't wait to get this house cleaned out! :)
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:20 am

Hi Cha, I'm doing ok. Just got an email about something I am selling on behalf of my son (been listed for about a month), and he sold a lot of things in a sale, none of my things though :( Good luck on those lottery tickets.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:27 pm

Hi all, Congratulations on your progress! I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. I've accomplished a few things: 1. Started saving about $30 per month on my telephone/internet bill by switching my long distance calling to Skype ($2.95 per month). 2. Put aside the cash that I withdrew from my money market account. I can't decide whether or not to close the account, now that I got the $100 bonus. The interest that it generates is pretty minimal. 3. Plan to put aside our economic stimulus cheque ($1200) when it arrives. 4. Put aside two items to sell on eBay, and will be going through my books again to look for more items to sell. If I can get my husband to go through his boxes of stuff, I may even find some more items. 5. Plan to put aside the cash from my husband's money market account after he gets the $100 bonus. 6. Read one book (Ready, Set, Sell by Michael Corbett), and about to read another (Home Staging for Dummies), in case we end up deciding to sell our house. Yes, the plan is to generate as much cash as possible and put it aside. So many balls are in the air right now that I don't know exactly what it will be used for, but I want to have as much as I can stashed away for whatever the reason turns out to be. I'm also thinking of selling my car and getting a small hybrid. Trying to push my husband into doing the same thing. Cha, what kind of car did you end up buying? Need to do: 1. Put credit cards back in safe deposit box. 2. Research car prices. 3. Stop making my own laundry detergent. 4. Make list of debts, interest rates, and monthly payments. 5. List items for sale. 6. Get back into couponing.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:33 pm

Hi again, I accomplished a few things this evening: 1. Balanced bank account. 2. Discussed monthly finances with husband. 3. Grocery shopping (I wanted to spend less than $100, and I spent $92). :D 4. Paid bills.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:12 pm

Today: 1. Paid stepdaughter's tuition. 2. Found another item to list on eBay. 3. Looked at Craigslist for part-time income opportunities.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges