JULY FINANCIAL THREAD

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: JULY FINANCIAL THREAD

Postby Unity » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:53 pm

Hi everyone, Welcome back to the thread Mango. Looks like there are going to be some possible large changes for you - car, house.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:46 am

Thank you, Urs! Yes, change is in the air these days.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:16 am

I'm hoping to get my share of the water survey job this week (see fitness thread) but things are not going according to plan (messed around by the co.).
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby missC » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:52 am

Hallo peeps. I'm posting because my financial goals make me feel a bit panicky and short of breath. Maybe if they're out in the open I'll feel less emotionally tied up in them. 1 Read all paperwork to do with my tax return for the last financial year (my first ever! In the UK you don't have to do them unless you register as self-employed. 2 Fill in my paper tax return so I know I have all the info to post online. 3 (Probably) have to phone the tax office for help in doing these two, as the paperwork is madly complicated and I am already having trouble making sense of it. 4 Get home contents insurance quotes. 5 Get a job. Don't want to, but it's a must not a want. Contact all agencies and make sure they are on the case. 6 Continue listing (Ebay, Ebid, Amazon etc). Sales are unusually slow right now but that's no reason to let up. 7 Carry on getting my accounts up to date (I'm way behind but there's still time to get them sorted). 8 I have a store reward card with lots of points on it and have never bothered to find out what I'm entitled to. Find out! I feel stressed. Are there any other UK bods doing tax returns? How did your first one go? Difficult?
missC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:54 am

Balanced bank account. Eeeeek.
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:51 pm

Heading out for frugal grocery shopping, with coupons. Thinking about pricing car tires tomorrow.
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:22 am

Hi everyone, hi, MissC, I've not had tax form like you, instead the tax credits form - something that I'm always moaning about on here as since the beginning of this year I must have had about 6, last one few weeks ago. I hate them LOL and I know that one won't be the last either as I had some major changes at the start of the year. The first one this year said I had to repay them some money but still haven't had the final bill sent.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:02 pm

Looked at hybrid cars online. In my area, there is a 6-8 month waiting list for the Ford Escape hybrid. There isn't one Toyota Prius left in the entire Southeast. I don't know about the new Honda Civic hybrid. Checked on the Smart ForTwo, though, and the waiting time is 14 to 18 months! Didn't get to the grocery shopping yesterday, so did it today instead (coupons and all). Sold two books on Amazon. Some of the items on eBay have bids.
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:58 am

Hi mango, can you manage at the moment car-wise if there's such a long wait? I don't know what a hybrid is. As I don't drive and walk everywhere I don't have all the hassles surrounding cars. Many years ago I did have 2 cars and had friends always coming in the car with me and I could drive all over the place long distance and in very heavy traffic but whenever I had a test I went to pieces and failed every time (over 20 :D ) so in the end gave up. I can't shift any of my books and they are now in the garage instead of the dining room. Mango whenever I read about your coupons I wonder if you have ever signed up with a market researcher. We got coupons for lots of free yoghurt packs. I will have to nudge my son to get back to that site so we can get some more (he was supposed to be a word of mouth agent so has to write up the feedback).
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby missC » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:37 am

Unity wrote:Hi everyone, hi, MissC, I've not had tax form like you, instead the tax credits form - something that I'm always moaning about on here as since the beginning of this year I must have had about 6, last one few weeks ago. I hate them LOL and I know that one won't be the last either as I had some major changes at the start of the year. The first one this year said I had to repay them some money but still haven't had the final bill sent.
A pal of mine claims them. So far they have made two errors in calculating what she's owed - both times they have sent nasty hostile letters demanding payment (as if she was intending to refuse or as if it was her fault in the first place). I have only dealt with lovely helpful friendly people so far when ringing HMRC (touch wood). But either the govt or HMRC seem to be approaching tax credits in the wrong way.
missC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby missC » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:38 am

I have slacked off on getting my accounts together! Must get back on track!
missC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:49 am

Hi everyone, Looked over yet another tax credit form today.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:21 am

Month ending very very soon. Done most things on the list. How about you?
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Monthly Challenges