2012 Declutter, Home and Garden

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

2012 Declutter, Home and Garden

Postby Unity1 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:02 am

Welcome to the new home and garden thread :D
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 2012 Declutter, Home and Garden

Postby Unity1 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:22 am

TO DO LIST

Buy -
curtains for front bedroom
clothes I think look good on me
computer room - carpet, cupboards ??
lightbulbs

Get rid -
clothes I don't like, don't suit me
clutter back of house

Return
art magazines to club

Give

Prune -
front bush, back all around garden

Do -
moth spray every room, sofa
tidy books in computer room
kitchen repairs
dining room wall repair

Throughout year -

clean paintwork, windows, ceilings
organising, filing
important paperwork - housefile - organise better

Last edited by Unity1 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:02 pm

Hi all,

You know that I need to do this one...

I need to unpack, clean, organize, declutter, and decorate my home.

I'm trying to be debt-free by the end of March (see the Seasonal Challenge), so I have to be ultra-frugal until that is done.
Fortunately, it will probably take that long just to get things unpacked, cleaned, organized, and decluttered!

I'm going to try not to buy anything for the house in the meantime, unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary.
I can't even imagine what could fall into that category, so I think I'll be okay.

I have a lot of things to sell and donate, as well.

I'll worry about the decorating after I'm debt-free.

I just forwarded the 'before' pictures of my home from my phone to my email account.
I will post them on Photobucket and put the link here shortly.

Keep in mind - I'm a minimalist (believe it or not), and everything I own is 'out' in those pictures.
There's not ONE THING in any of the cabinets or closets or the storage shed.

So, I'm not a hoarder, by any stretch. Just an FYI, since you'll think I'm a lunatic once you see the pictures! :D

Prepare to view the carnage... :lol:

One more thing: this goal brings up a lot of uncomfortable feelings that I haven't dealt with over the years.
I've never lived in disorganization at this level (I moved 4 times in 6 months this year), but I've also never decorated any home that I've lived in since 2000.

So, just another FYI. This is a deep, meaningful, and extremely emotionally difficult project for me.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi Mango

What I found useful is having MM over for a visit just before Christmas, as the house was very tidy by the time all the family came over.

Similarly on his visit last week, I had a last moment clean although I didn't hide away as much as before.

He's already talking about his next visit............

Do I need to put on dark glasses when I see your photo in case I go into shock if I see everything clearly? LOL

Is it that you don't have the time to sort yourself out or you are just procrastinating? I've totally forgotten if you've moved again or not (away from the place with the crickets ) :?:
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi all,

Is it that you don't have the time to sort yourself out or you are just procrastinating? I've totally forgotten if you've moved again or not (away from the place with the crickets ) :?:

Unity, I'm procrastinating. I have more free time and fewer responsibilities than anyone on here. :bash:

I've not moved again since the crickets, thank God.

I moved from an apartment in City A to an apartment in City B on February 1st (with just a car full of essentials, and the 3 cats).
I moved from that apartment to another one several floors up after a few weeks.

I moved the remainder of my belongings from City A to City B at the end of March.

I moved from the second apartment in City B to an apartment in City C on September 15th.
I moved from that moldy apartment to the house in City C where I am now (with the crickets in the storage shed) on October 5th.

So, I guess that's 5 moves in about 8 months, actually.

And I'm still not unpacked! To say that I feel like a failure is an understatement. :?

You will cringe for sure, but there's nothing out of the ordinary in the pictures. Just stuff in piles.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:48 am

Mango you really ought to have a 'how to move' website, remember we talked about it before? You have so much experiences and personal knowledge.

So you have more free time and less responsibilities - I have noticed the more of those I have, the harder to do anything as well. I often wonder if it would be easier to sell up and live out of a hotel room.

I never heard of the word procrastinate years ago.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby grahamcl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:28 pm

I would like to jump in! I have more time now than I can ever remember having, and I've waited for this forever, so I really need to get on the ball and DO something. I am determined to finally make my home the clean, comfortable, and cozy haven that my family and I so desperately need it to be.

For the remainder of this week I'm going to focus on the master bedroom, so that means a good clear out of clothes that are no longer serving any purpose other than taking up space. Aside from the odd magazine or book, clothes are the real problem in this room. Next week I'll tackle another room, whether this one is finished or not.

Between clutter clearing, I'm also trying to stick to a general cleaning schedule. Before I had all this time, I had an excuse for not cleaning. My schedule was basically clean what I could, when I could, IF I wasn't exhausted. Now that I have time and no excuses, it's time to crack the whip!

All those years of studying home economics are finally paying off!
"The thing about food, is you're a much happier person if you eat well and treasure your meals."-Julia Child
grahamcl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby grahamcl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:32 pm

btw Mango, I completely understand what it's like to move so much. I haven't moved that many times in such a short span of time, but I counted the number of times that I've moved in my life, and it came to something like 36 times in 40 years. I've lived in my current home going on 4 years (a record), and I still have things in boxes!!!
"The thing about food, is you're a much happier person if you eat well and treasure your meals."-Julia Child
grahamcl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:48 pm

I moved alot too and kept things in boxes. I find that I do the most when I have a deadline (like dinner guests). When you have time off, you need to schedule things in blocks (like just the closet) and not attempt to do the whole house. Keep it to a manageable time (like one hour) and you have to keep both the TV and computer off during that hour.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi all,

Welcome, grahamcl!
Our goals for our homes sound similar (though I live by myself).

That's a lot of moves!!!
I think you've got me beat.

Tituba, that's great advice.

I've been doing much better with this challenge since I channeled Unity and had a massive clear-out (for a house guest). I'm not unpacked completely, by a long shot, but I'm making slow and steady progress. I'm keeping the house clean, cleaning a little more each time, keeping on top of the laundry, dishes, trash, and recyclables, filling a box for charity, figuring out what I need to have in the house in order to make things run more smoothly, and V-E-R-Y slowly unpacking/organizing.

I'm proud of how things are going. Finally.
Still have to post the 'my house is a mess' pictures - and now I need some that are 'post-cleaning and organizing' but 'pre-decorating.'

I guess Friday is now my cleaning day - it's been two weeks in a row.
And that was one of my New Year's resolutions!

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby grahamcl » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:11 pm

I only accomplished the absolute bare minimum today.........I made the bed. Sort of. That was the smallest unit that I could manage.

When I went to make coffee this morning, the coffee pot wouldn't turn on. :jawdrop: So I took the kids to school, and when I came home I went back to bed.
grahamcl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:20 pm

That was the smallest unit that I could manage.

I hear you!
Sometimes the smallest unit that I can manage is having a shower and putting on clean pajamas...

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:00 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to jump in for a bit because I'm doing my winter decluttering. Yesterday I started packing things up that I want to dispose of, and I collected 5 large garbage bags. When I was doing this, I was thinking that I'd like to get rid of 20 bags total. And then do this 4 times a year. It sounds like a lot, but until I slim down my belongings to a minimum I'm not going to be satisfied. I spent too many years buying things, and now I'm tired of the whole thing.

Graham, I'm glad you're thinking along the lines of having a cozy place to live. That's a good goal to shoot for. I love doing domestic things, cleaning and decortating, etc. I like to be proud of my home if someone stops over. Good luck to you in your pursuits.

Mango, that's great that you've established Friday as your cleaning day. Good for you. Maybe you could have company more often so you'll keep it up. :D Have fun decorating!
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:50 am

Hi all,

until I slim down my belongings to a minimum I'm not going to be satisfied. I spent too many years buying things, and now I'm tired of the whole thing.

Kathy, I think that's an amazing insight.
And I'm impressed with your plan!

I would love to see your home. I bet it's beautiful.

If all goes well today, I'm going to invite an old work friend over TO MY HOME for a beer tonight...
It's so unnatural for me that it might cause her to have a heart attack!

So, you're right about entertaining.

I especially like what you said about being proud of your home when people stop by.
That's one of my goals.

I'm consciously replacing the word 'house' with 'home' every time I write it.
Not sure why. It feels like it fits with the goal, somehow.

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges