2012 Declutter, Home and Garden

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: 2012 Declutter, Home and Garden

Postby Unity1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:01 am

Let's hope you suddenly don't get an urge to move again in the near future Mango :D

I do really like reading the posts where you all have decluttered and got things done round the home.

I could have added the fact we finally got rid of the old monitor (backburner list) in the carport at the rubbish tip ........however...........there is now a large pile of old printers round the back of the house - these were picked up at the tip by DS who needed to strip them for parts.

He also surprised me by suddenly deciding to move his bed to a different position. Massive difference in the energy of the room. And he's kept it tidy. Also he's decluttered the garage a few times since the summer and needs it tidy as he's using it as a workshop.

Dad wants to do some repairs to the summerhouse but I put him off because I have a fear of him being round when MM visits, I'm still not ready for that confrontation. Dad can't understand me not wanting the work done.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:31 pm

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi all,

He also surprised me by suddenly deciding to move his bed to a different position. Massive difference in the energy of the room. And he's kept it tidy. Also he's decluttered the garage a few times since the summer and needs it tidy as he's using it as a workshop.

That probably makes up for all of the printers, Unity! :)

I was away all weekend and didn't get any decluttering done.
I also work 4 days, so I don't envision getting a lot done for the rest of the week, either.

My birthday is on Tuesday - it's my only day off until the weekend. I doubt I'll spend it decluttering...

I'm thinking about going to the movies (a matinee), dropping some candy off at work, picking up the flowers from T. at work (or maybe leaving them there - they would look nice on the front desk, and my cats would likely try to eat them (or knock them over) if I brought them home), and getting Chinese takeout.

However, when I got home today, I cleaned the cat area, sorted through the paperwork and bills, made myself a written To Do list for tomorrow, brought in the newspaper, clipped coupons, vacuumed, unpacked and put everything away, and straightened up a little bit.

More progress to come.

I haven't clicked on that article yet, Tituba.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Great article, Tituba (and very true).
I bookmarked that blog.

Thanks for posting it.
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby grahamcl » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:08 am

I forgot to post that I decluttered the kitchen countertop the other day. It looks so much better! I had some canning jars sitting there (waiting for the canning day that never happened), and just odds and ends that really needed to find other homes (like the trashcan). Now maybe I can put my kitchenaid mixer out on the counter! We've lived here almost four years, and it's still in a box. :oops: That's what moving so much has done to me! I don't want to take things out of boxes because I never know when I'll have to pack it back up again. And I keep things that I don't use because I think I might use it at the next house.

Sad, I know. Will I ever get over it? I have never had a "forever" home. Except that old house in mountains that I always wanted to go back to........

Hmmm....
Might need to ponder that one some more. More than I already have, I mean. Dig a little deeper.
"The thing about food, is you're a much happier person if you eat well and treasure your meals."-Julia Child
grahamcl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:40 pm

Why is it that you've always been moving so much Graham?

Have you used the mixer at all?

Kitchens always look better after a declutter because they are rooms that you go into so much. I can empathise with the canning idea - my worktop has lots of jars too.

This evening I'm going to put away clothes in my bedroom that were draped over the chair - I couldn't believe how many I found when I transferred them to the bed.

Well that's the plan, hopefully I won't just put it all back on the chair :roll:
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:02 pm

I did put away all the clothes from the chair, plus some clean laundry that had been in piles for ages.

Also tidied up some of my drawers and removed some items. I started thinking that if MM is staying next week and happens to look into a drawer........it's a possibility............there are things I'd rather he didn't see - comfortable but look awful :D
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SMM2005 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:53 am

:lol: Unity, I remember one time, years, and years, and years ago when I was first married and a couple, who were friends of my ex, came over to see the house, rooms etc. and the guy was checking everything out and without thinking he opened a draw (my sock and underwear draw) :lol: and his wife was absolutely mortified and said something to him. His attitude was, "what is the big deal." It wouldn't have been my hubbies underwear draw as he didn't wear them :oops: :lol:

Anyway, with my new office at work, I now have a different room, with two windows, and coveted at that, to decorate. Nothing fancy though, as I don't have much to spend. I bought a couple of small, inspirational pics that have birds and flowers on them and one says "dream" and the other "believe." I purchased a couple of frames with shells on them, and one that has a frame that looks like the two pics. I will bring in pics of my cats, and get one of me and Jeff, to put in the frames. I will place them on top of the bookshelf that came with this room. There are two extra chairs for clients to sit on that are blue (nothing fancy) and a light beige colored wall. I would also like to find an inexpensive round rug for the center of the room. That will cozy it up. I will find a couple of larger pictures, as well. This is a room that gets a lot of bright light. The CEO likes it COLD :shock: 30 or 40 degrees outside and when he is here the air conditioner is on (like now)!! and the blower in my office is alive and well. The woman with the hot flashes dream :wink:

What are your "home" plans for the spring? For me, maybe another wall design for the living room and den. Bedroom is going to be the challenge :)

Susan
SMM2005
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby grahamcl » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:10 pm

That's so funny Susan! I remember being surprised that people buying a house would look in closets and cabinets. Guess I just never thought about it.

Unity I have a chair like that in my bedroom. I keep putting the clean clothes there as if they will put themselves away. I need to get rid of the clothes that are taking up space in the closet and in the dresser drawers, the ones that I just don't wear, so that the ones that keep ending up in the chair will have a home.

We moved a lot because my mom would go where the rent was better, or there was a good job. Once a friend of hers bought a restaurant and asked her to come help manage it. It was a couple of hours away, and when we moved there we didn't have a place to live yet. They were working on the restaurant, getting it ready to open, and we lived in it. It had a big fireplace in one of the dining rooms, and we slept on the floor with blankets and sleeping bags. I remember the carpet had a plaid design, and I practiced doing cartwheels on the squares in the carpet. My mom's friend had a trailer hooked up on the property that she was living in, and we would go take baths there and watch tv. It didn't seem odd at the time, but looking back I can see how it might seem strange. We lived in four different places in that town, counting the restaurant, and we were only there about one and a half to two years.

I could go on and on......we moved so much, it just amazes me that I'm only a little bit crazy. It really does make it hard to settle in anywhere, because in the back of my mind I'm thinking I'll just have to pack it back up again one day. My husband doesn't get that at all. He didn't move anywhere near the number of times I did, and get this, he grew up in a military family!
"The thing about food, is you're a much happier person if you eat well and treasure your meals."-Julia Child
grahamcl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity1 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:09 pm

Hi Ladies

Graham, what a really unusual story, living in a restaurant on the floor. I never expected that would have been your reply to my question. I bet you must have plenty of interesting memories.

Susan, that must have been embarassing to have someone look through your drawer in that sort of situation. Your husband didn't have any? :shock:

Actually this subject reminds me of something. There used to be a married couple I sometimes sat with in the cafe and they had children, one of them was DS's age and one day I asked him if he knew the boy. He started acting a bit strange when I asked and said there was something he knew but didn't want to say. Eventually I discovered what it was. A group of them were round the couple's house one day to see their friend and while they were waiting found some embarassing items :shock: which gave the impression the parents led an alternative lifestyle.

If you had seen the couple you would have never guessed. I found it really arkward to spend time with either of them ever since and try and avoid it because I can't stop thinking about what I was told.

I like the plans for your office Susan. Do you get expenses?

As for my house, I'm not doing anything for the time being as the financial side of the D is going on.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby grahamcl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:34 pm

Wow, Unity! That would be so awkward. I would have blushed beet red every time I ran in to them after that!

Today I went from room to room and made a list of things that need to be done in each. I wrote down everything that I could think of that could be done to make the room less cluttered, more comfortable, and more visually appealing. The lists have big projects and small projects so that I can pick and choose depending on the time and energy I feel like putting into it.

This week I'm going to work on the bedroom list.
grahamcl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SMM2005 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:31 am

Unity - :shock: :oops: Uh, no.....ex-hubby did not wear underwear but then he eventually started wearing those thin cotton short-like things. He would also wear his jeans to the point of...HOLES....so that is all I will say :oops: (other than, I wouldn't be able to tell him when I threw a pair of his jeans away or he would become quite upset) :lol:

I can only imagine what those embarassing items your son found were :lol: I remember as a child my friend brought a couple of us down the hallway to her bedroom to play and her father was in his room with the door wide open stepping into or out of his pants. The other girl I was with had one of those high and loud shrilly laughs and she let one of them out at the moment she saw him. I almost died :lol: and my friend's father was not so happy and started yelling at her. :lol:

No, I don't have expenses paid for my work office. The chairs, bookcase, and my desk, phone, bulletin board, and computer were already here, as it usually would be, and I am bringing in my own frames/pics, which I have already done. I want to get a round cozy rug and a couple of more pics (or something) to hang on a couple of the walls.

Hopefully your "D" will be over soon and you can get on with the rest......I know what you mean, I am short on cash myself, but will use some of my income tax refund, and not purchase anything too expensive.

Susan
SMM2005
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:36 am

No underwear and jeans with holes :D Interesting Susan...........At least you had less washing to do.

That's nice of you buying the rug out of your own money.

Because I was busy lately and unwell, I decided against decluttering my bedroom surfaces for MM's visit, I just put things in piles and left it.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:19 pm

I've slowed down on my decluttering, but I made an estimation to a friend yesterday that I've given or thrown away approximate one-sixth of my personal belongings. I'm feeling much lighter. I'm going to work on it more next week.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Has it made other parts of your life better Kathy, I know you mentioned you felt lighter - as in less burdened or is it also about physical differences, weight etc?
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges