WINTER CHALLENGE 23rd September - 31st December 2012

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: WINTER CHALLENGE 23rd September - 31st December 2012

Postby Unity1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:10 pm

I have had some good days then bad as I've been emotionally eating due to the R4 dramas.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Movingalong » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:05 pm

Hey all,

I'm joining this a little late, but I'm back in again. Last year, my challenge was to write 3 good things a day. I've been doing that since January 15, 2011 and have kept it up over the year.

This year, one of the challenges is to make my Thanksgiving and Christmas as nice as I can. Last year, I went to a friend's house for the two holidays. I don't think that will be happening again this year. My family lives far away, so I won't be seeing them. I don't like the cold and bad weather during this time of year, so I dread the holidays every year.

Everything moved so fast this year. I only realized that Thanksgiving is next week sometime earlier this week. :shock:
But I've been thinking about it over the year, so I'm not completely caught off-guard.

I'm looking for any ideas that would help make the holidays a nicer time for me. I'll also say that I'm not willing to go out to help feed the homeless during Thanksgiving. People have suggested that to me before. It's already a tough time for me; trying to help other people isn't a good idea for me during that time.

I'll post a heads up to this post in the conversation thread also, in case people don't normally look here.
Movingalong
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity1 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:36 pm

Hello again :D

i'll give your query a think over the next few ways
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:20 am

WRITE AT LEAST ONE ARTICLE
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Movingalong » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:03 pm

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I wasn't sure where else to put this.

Winter has always been a challenge for me. This winter was no exception. I've been working on doing things differently this winter since April 2012 for winter 2012. I created a journal of things that I wanted to try that either worked or that might work. There were some really difficult times and there were some successful moments. I just looked back at the journal to see what I had done and realized how many changes I've made and realized why things sometimes seemed very new but sometimes oddly comforting and familiar. But that's looking back. As I was going through it, it was frightening and overwhelming a lot.

Some of the things that worked:

-Taking my trash can into the garage instead of leaving it out -- it's odd how much this little change helped. I didn't have to worry about my trash can getting blown over and it was easier to get access to emptying things.
-Eating at home instead of taking out -- over the years, I got used to picking up dinner. It was cheaper and easier than buying a lot of food that I would throw out because I couldn't finish it all. This year, I ate at home pretty much every night. That was a huge challenge because I had to figure out what to eat. I don't cook and had to learn what was reliable. Not eating was not an option. I'd still rather eat out since I think it's still less expensive to do, but it was less stressful to not have to drive out in bad weather. On the plus side, I really enjoyed looking at new ideas for easy throw-together meals on the internet. I'm still weighing whether I'll continue eating at home.
-Paid bills by phone -- I had been sending my bills off at the post office, but that was time-consuming and I had to drive to the post office. I considering paying bills online but decided against that. I considered sending bills from home but decided against that too. Paying bills at home was time-consuming but had the advantage of not having to drive anywhere to do it.
-Bought an inexpensive rice cooker - as a subset of eating at home, I bought an inexpensive rice cooker to have a reliable base to my meal every night. I love rice so that helps. I started with white rice and later moved to half white and half brown rice, which I really liked.
-Started looking into supplements -- as part of dealing with the winter blues, I started looking at supplements to help lift my mood. I had heard good things about a magnesium powder, so I bought a bottle of it. I just tried a very tiny amount, but didn't get very far with it. I'd like to continue looking into more herbal or natural alternatives to help lift my spirits during winter and the rest of the year as well.

Things that were challenging:

-Isolation -- because I was staying in so much, I started to feel very isolated. At the same time though, I felt less lonely than I did before. I wrote to a lot of people via email and talked to a couple people on the phone. As the winter wore on, I felt more divorced from the world even when I was out around people.
-Worry -- worry got the best of me many times during the winter. I won't say that's unusual for me, but I worked on it a lot this winter.

All in all, it was an interesting experience, still ongoing. I'm glad I started that journal because it was interesting to see how many things changed. It really is amazing how much change happens when the changes are small but they happen almost every day.
Movingalong
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby grahamcl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Movingalong, that's great that you were able to see how you made changes, and what the results were. I think it helps to sort of "solidify" the change when you can look back and really see what the effect was (if it was good). I can see how not having to go out would make you feel more isolated, or seperate from, the rest of the world, but then it also makes sense that you might feel less lonely. When I spend more time alone I tend to see the rest of the world as something that I'm not really a part of, and I turn my focus more inward. That in turn makes me feel less "left out" and more "apart from", if that makes sense. I don't know if that's good or bad, but, there it is.

As far as making meals at home more often as opposed to picking up something, what if when you did cook you made enough for an extra meal and put it in the freezer? I don't know what you typically make other than the rice, but most things freeze pretty well, and then you would have some meals already done for a later date. I especially like to freeze soup in ziploc bags. Somehow if I make soup there is always more than I want to eat at once, and I don't want to eat it every day for a week, so I pour it into 2 or 3 freezer bags and then I can get it out some other time when I don't feel like cooking. I don't know how much cooking you feel like doing, but it doesn't take much more effort to double something when you're cooking and freeze the extra. Just an idea. Don't know if it will work for you, but I thought I'd throw it out there. :D

Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into how to make things better for the winter, and seems you've found some good things that work for you! Yay!
"The thing about food, is you're a much happier person if you eat well and treasure your meals."-Julia Child
grahamcl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Monthly Challenges