WINTER CHALLENGE 23rd September - 31st December 2012

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: WINTER CHALLENGE 23rd September - 31st December 2012

Postby grahamcl » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Ok, I think it's time. I think I actually HAVE to do it. I must give up sugar. :cry: It is the very devil in disguise....pure evil in a physical form...and it must be eliminated.

I feel like poo, and I am tired of it! If I eat one little candy corn, I may as well sit down with a 5 pound bag of sugar and a spoon! :shock: The effect of sugar on my system is SO incredibly bad that I have finally decided it's time to cut it completely out. Totally and completely.

It will not be easy, but then most of my nutrition choices lately have not been easy. I figured this would be a good thing to do for the Winter Challenge, and if things go well I'll just keep going. After the research I've been doing lately, it seems like the logical next step in my quest for better health, and since it isn't something that my body needs, why not?

I just got home from work awhile ago, and I had eaten some frozen yogurt with some VERY sweet toppings, and within a few minutes I felt like crap. Seems like every time I eat a big dose of something sweet, my head hurts, my stomach feels yucky, and I just don't feel very good.........but then I want more! :twisted: It is the very devil incarnate.

I've already stopped putting any sweetener in my coffee, so that's taken care of. I only really get sugar when I give in to something like the candy my mom has sitting around the house :!: , ice cream at night, or when I work and get a free frozen yogurt. Trouble is, it's been getting more and more frequent! We'll see how it goes. I guess if I can give up grains completely, surely I can give up sugar!
"The thing about food, is you're a much happier person if you eat well and treasure your meals."-Julia Child
grahamcl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:50 am

Graham, good luck on eliminating sugar! I feel sick from eating it too, and the holidays are pure hell for me! All the goodies and sweets come out in full force then! I even had to give up entertaining, because when I did I felt I had to serve deserts, and I'd eat the leftovers. The worst case was when I had a party and bought a Cheesecake Factory cheesecake that had 12 slices. Only 4 were eaten at the party! (It was a jewelry party) I ate the other 8 pieces over the next few days and I was terribly sick and tired for month.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:20 am

Hi all,

Graham, that sounds like a great goal! I can't wait to hear how you feel.
Kathy, do you avoid sugar now too?

Sugar doesn't seem to have that effect on me. Of course, take into account the fact that I don't ever 'crave' it. I'm one of the only women I know who doesn't really care one way or the other for chocolate, and candy sitting out doesn't tempt me at all. I'm also 'something like' lactose intolerant (though I can't drink the lactose-free milk either, so it must be something else), so ice cream doesn't really grab me either.

Of course, my nemesis is salty snacks, so there you go... :lol:

Do they have sugar-free frozen yogurt at your work? I would hate to miss out on something free... :D

I've changed my mind about using the voice recorder on my phone. I've decided to keep my phone turned off and in my purse throughout the entire work day (part of my list of things to make work less miserable). So, I'm going to use a small notebook instead. I'm using the voice recorder when I'm trying to sleep, though.

Journaling is still going fabulously (if that's a word). I did the same thing yesterday - kept the Word file open and just kept adding to it.
I'm thrilled with my progress so far.

Off to get all deep and thought-provoking in the Conversation thread... :wink:
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:49 pm

hi all

Good luck on the challenges.

I think it MUST BE the bread after what happened over the weekend. So from today onwards no bread and will see what happens.

Like you Mango, I'm into salty snacks and not really interested in anything sugary. I can eat it but
don't care if I don't.

Are youre revelations about yourself taken from the journalling?

Having probs with laptop today so can't check what everyone else has written, sorry if I'm missing out on comments.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi all,

How is everyone doing with their goals?

I've been journaling every day! I feel great about it. I'm just writing down random thoughts and ideas, and listing the things that I accomplish during the day. It gives me a strong feeling of accomplishment, and a way to empty my head of problems and thoughts and ideas. For some reason, it's also really helping to boost my formerly miserable self-esteem! I don't know what the heck is going on.

I won't get all new-agey and weird on you (well, not much) but it feels like there is a force at work in my life these days that was just waiting for me to take stock of myself and my dreams, rethink my goals, and come up with a better plan. I'm a spiritual person, so I'll have to say that God is at work in my life... but to each his or her own. All I can really say is that there's definitely some sort of synergy going on. That's the only way that I can explain it.

The only other time that I've ever felt like this was just before I got into vet school. I know THAT sounds weird, as I hated vet school. However, I'm talking about everything leading up to my acceptance: 3 extra years of college, 80+ volunteer hours, dating a dairy farmer (that was odd timing), my interview and written essays, etc. It just felt like there was synergy at work in my life then, too.

I feel like I'm on the right path. Out of the blue. And that, my friends, is an EXCELLENT feeling. :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:56 pm

That is good news Mango

I didn't eat bread for a few days but still had those problems :roll:

Back to square one

Last time I had anything like this I only ate custard and banana for a month but I can't face it.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi all,

Unity,I don't think I could face custard and banana for a month, either!
Is there another potential culprit in your diet?

Graham and Annalena, how are things going?

I didn't write in my journal yesterday. It was a long, hard day and I just couldn't do it. I felt like I was missing out, though.
I'm back on board with it today, and feeling much better.

Earlier today, I wrote about everything that was bothering me, and once I was finished, I felt like taking a nap. So, I did!
Rejuvenation!

:D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:38 am

Journalling does open your mind - but from my experience, I ended up writing exactly the same stuff all the time, when I find old notes from years ago, it was virtually identical.

What I was trying to do was to find a path in life. But what I think was the real problem was I had a terrible fear of never finding friends, have nights out, relationships.

Since I met MM and found my social circle, I realised that I no longer had any need to journal.

Except now I'm writing my nights out in my diary as it's been such an extraordinary time. I wish I began recording it last year.

I haven't had any bread although have had things like crumpets etc and seem to be ok. Last time I ate bread I was ill.

What I have noticed is that since all this strange digestive problems started I lost my appetite and have been eating odd combinations of food and odd times. Haven't lost any weight though.

As I have had ibs in the past, these symptoms are totally different so can't really work out what is going on.

Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi all,

That's interesting about your experience with journaling, Unity.

I'm on track again today. It's a lovely feeling.
For me, it seems like a good alternative to emotional eating (it gets what's bothering me down in writing without having to find someone to listen). It's also helping me to improve my self-esteem (I note the good things that I notice about myself), look at self-limiting thoughts and expectations, and deal with issues that have been bothering me for a long time, etc. Once I get it all down in writing (plus my Things I Did Today list, of course, which helps me avoid negative thinking), I feel more at peace.

Sorry to hear that your symptoms haven't gone away. Are you still putting mustard on everything you eat? :wink:

I hope everyone is having a good day! :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby grahamcl » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:01 pm

Fell off the wagon today. :( I managed to not eat frozen yogurt at work, and had avoided the candy dishes at home.....until tonight. Not sure why, but I gave in to an ice cream bar. Then, I was in the candy. And more candy. Now I feel yucky, dang it.

Of course, this sort of thing happened with other foods I've given up, so it isn't hopeless, but just a bummer.

Unity, I know I sound like a broken record, but I really wonder if you left off everything made from wheat, rice, oats, etc for a few weeks how you would feel. Meats, vegetables, eggs, maybe a little fruit, and that's it....but just for a few weeks. Then, just go back to the way you're eating now and see how you feel.

As far as my sugar problem, I've known that it was an issue for me for a long time. When I was studying drug education, we had to give up all drugs (including caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol) as well as sugar for a period of time. I was shocked that sugar was the hardest thing for me to avoid! I ended up eating fruit non-stop until I realized what I was doing, but it was so hard. Caffeine was hard too, but sugar was the worst. After going over my results at the end of the project, it was concluded that I was self-medicating with sugar and caffeine.

Mango, to answer your question, we do have one sugar-free flavor of frozen yogurt at work, so last night I got a little bit of that one with a spoonful of chopped strawberries on it. It was good, but I think that may have started this backsliding problem today. It may be better if I just don't get any at all.

You know, I started on this health journey when my husband commented that there would be lots of pictures taken at DS's graduation. I'm glad he mentioned it actually, and I just realized today that we will be going to visit DH's family after Thanksgiving, and there will be lots of pictures there too. And then there's Christmas! Maybe it's not healthy motivation, but it works for me. I've seen enough pictures of me overweight to know that they do not represent the way I think of myself. I'd like to have the family photos that my kids show to their kids be ones that don't make me cringe! :lol: On top of that, I feel better too!

Next on the journey is to add in exercise. I'm looking into Crossfit, but I'm a looooooong way from actually doing it.
"The thing about food, is you're a much happier person if you eat well and treasure your meals."-Julia Child
grahamcl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby mango » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi all,

Graham, you haven't picked an easy goal, so definitely expect some ups and downs!
Well done for making all of this progress for the photographs - I'm sure you're going to look wonderful.

I'm the same way with Doritos as you are with sugar... I think if I ate one, I would eat an entire large bag of them. And then want them again the next day. So, I'm avoiding them completely now!

I cringed when I read about the class that you took. I could NEVER give up caffeine. I've tried and tried - I'm one of those 'outliers' on the Bell curve - a LOT of things (foods, medications, etc.) affect me to an extreme.

I only have one cup of coffee a day, so I'm not worried about it. But some examples:

- 1 glass of wine gives me a headache the next morning
- 2 tablets of ibuprofen (400 mg total) act like a sleeping pill
- soy turns me into a raging lunatic and gives me symptoms of PMS
- birth control pills make me want to kill people

Scary! :roll:

I'm still journaling, and loving every minute of it. It's so easy to do on the days that I'm not working. Work days have been more of a challenge. Anyway. I started doing it on October 18th, missed one day, and I have 21 pages in a Word document, so far! I'm going to save them by month and put them on my flash drive for safekeeping. It may amuse me to read what I was thinking about now when I'm an old lady.

:lol:

Have a great day, everyone!

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi all,

How is everyone doing?

I'm still journaling, and still loving it!

I need to set aside a day at the beginning of each new month to write down the ideas that I had the month before - I don't want to lose out on any moments of inspiration!

It will be harder this week, as I work 3 days rather than 2. All of my work days seem to be separated by only one or two days until next week sometime. I'm not very happy about that, but I'll be pleased with the added income from the extra work day.

One thing that I've noticed lately, and it's really odd: I feel like I'm becoming a nicer person. Not that I was a horrible person to begin with, but I find myself being more thoughtful lately.

Perhaps that's because of all of the simplifying, and having to find other things to do instead of my traditional 'time-wasters,' but whatever it is, I hope it continues.

Have a great evening, everyone. :D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi all

Graham I know that grains isn't the problem unless it's bread because I don't eat anything like that normally, usually I only eat veg and meat and during the weeks when I stopped bread it seemed to get even worse some days eg today.

I am now thinking that vegetables may be the culprit as I had been eating a lot of salads and home made veg soups (and no grains) when this problem started a few months ago. That's why banana and custard used to work years before to calm things down.

Unless it's down to something else entirely of course. I suppose trial and error will eventually find the suspect.

How lovely that you are likely to have photos that you feel good about. I think a lot of us women have a phobia, I know I do.

Mango, glad you enjoy your journalling and are feeling the benefit.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby kashtanka » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Hello All,

I'm ready to snap! (there is a tie-in to this thread, don't worry) I didn't have any sugar yesterday or today, and I'm feeling very tense. I was feeling fatiqued with sugar, and now I feel very irritable and like I can't cope with day to day stress. Help!

So many frustrations this weekend, so little opportunity to express them...ugh! I hope I can stay off the sugar.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:45 am

Ack!

I stopped writing in my journal for DAYS (I blame that on my soul-sucking job, complete with an extra work day).
I really felt a difference - I went back to some old habits, etc. Surprising what a difference it makes in my life.

So, it's back on track today!

How is everyone else doing?

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges