November 2012 HEALTH AND FITNESS

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: November 2012 HEALTH AND FITNESS

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:22 am

I've converted back over to frozen veggies, now, too. I just finished up my last batch of fresh several days ago. Warm vegetables are more fun to eat in the colder weather, anyhow. Plus, the fresh in the grocery story had a limited variety, frozen has more. I'll probably go back to fresh in the warmer months again. More fun to eat in the warm weather.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby grahamcl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:50 pm

Frozen vegetables are awesome. They are often "fresher" than what's "fresh" at the grocery store because they are picked and frozen immediately, sometimes in the field! Pretty cool set-up if you ever get to see it.

I went back and rechecked what I was saying about fruits and vegetables being overrated, and I think I should clarify. It was an answer to a person who had asked what vegetables they could eat that would least irritate their digestive system (they have IBS), and how to prepare them. His answer was to focus more on removing the foods that irritate the gut, eat good quality sources of protein and fat, and don't worry so much about the fruits and vegetables. Once the digestive system is healed it absorbs nutrients better. Sweet potatoes, yams, beets, turnips, and other root vegetables are widely available and when cooked well easy to digest, and they contain antioxidants that we look for from fruits and vegetables. Things like spinach and kale are definitely harder to digest.

The main point was to calm the inflammation first, and that placing so much emphasis on the fruits and vegetables isn't necessary, not that they aren't important or needed in the diet. Sorry if I made it sound that way! :oops:

I really don't jump on any ol diet bandwagon, I try to follow the science. One thing that I have to be careful of (because it's easier not be) is to make sure that the research is good. Studies that are not well designed can come from anywhere, even well-respected academic institutions, and their results often make the news. A retrospective cohort study with a food frequency questionnaire is not a well designed study, but a crossover clinical trial in a metabolic ward is. Often the studies we hear about are the former because there are very few of the latter. I'm not as knowledgeable about research as I would like to be, so I take my time checking things out.

When I go off on a nutrtion tangent, I don't mean to be pushy, I just get a little overexcited! Just skip over my posts when I do that...it won't hurt my feelings at all. :D
"The thing about food, is you're a much happier person if you eat well and treasure your meals."-Julia Child
grahamcl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:56 pm

That's OK, Graham, I gotcha :) . I wasn't snapping at anything, anyway, just making a long-observed point. Time and time again, I read and hear about these crazy things, and it always comes back to the tried and true ... balanced diet and don't over eat. But, like I said people don't usually follow that, and me neither. I can say I "cheat". I told my doctor that (he's my age), and he said the older we get, the less we can cheat.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby grahamcl » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:48 pm

I'm really wondering if my daughter's digestive problems would resolve if she stopped eating the processed stuff. Grr. She won't give it a real shot, so there's no way to know. When she was younger and I had a tighter grip on her food choices, I tried limiting her dairy consumption, but that really didn't change anything. She has terrible flare-ups when she goes to her dad's and she eats a lot more processed foods there. She said Saturday she was in a lot of pain and had eaten pizza for dinner the night before and then pancakes for breakfast. If I could just get her to try while she's here..... :roll:
"The thing about food, is you're a much happier person if you eat well and treasure your meals."-Julia Child
grahamcl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:17 pm

Ran 4.3 miles
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:55 am

FRIDAY: ran 4.3 miles.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:36 am

Ran 4.3 miles.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:38 am

Ran 4.3 miles.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi all

I need to get back into posting. I walk a lot daily but still haven't been on the scales. As fpr the strange digestive problems its a mystery as I can eat identical food on consecutive days, one day I am ill, the other I am fine.

I have tried cutting out various items on different weeks and no matter what I experiment with the problem is still there on certain days but not on others. Perhaps there is something I am overlooking but can't work out what.

I will try a more detailed food diary this week, who I meet, where I go, what I do as well as food/drink, what time I eat etc.

Walked a lot lately, on feet most of the day yesterday, walked today

I also want to do excercises each day too so want to update daily.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:33 pm

S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:30 am

Ran 4.3 miles.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:32 am

Ran 4.3 miles.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:55 am

Ran 4.3 miles.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Ran 7.1 miles.

It was getting kind of monotonous seeing my 4.3 miles every time. :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:41 am

Ran 4.3 miles. Warmer out, wore shorts!
S.Thinker
....o