2013 - Peter Walsh - January 31 days of 10 min decluttering

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: Peter Walsh - January 31 days of 10 min decluttering

Postby Tituba » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:53 pm

January 16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RngGjmF7 ... e=youtu.be

Day 16 - That Mysterious Top Shelf in That Mysterious Closet: It's your choice today. Pick any closet in your home and tackle the uppermost shelf. Report back any surprises!
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:10 pm

January 17

Diving for Condiments: Today it's all about those condiments hiding in the dark recesses of your refrigerator. Check out the video then dive right in. I'd love to hear the oldest 'Use-by' date you encounter! #31Days2GetOrganized

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI4fF1ak ... e=youtu.be
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:53 pm

January 18

Day 18: Under the Kitchen Sink - This is one of the toughest but most rewarding challenges. Drag everything out from under the kitchen sink. Discard any old, never-used, damaged or not-wanted items. Gather like things together. Consider using a plastic tote for cleaning products and a spare baking tray or similar for keeping other items together and off the floor. Consider hanging a tension rod for squirt bottle storage too. Show that space who's boss!

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:09 pm

January 19

Day 19 - A Huge Challenge: Today we're tackling magazines .... one of the most common hurdles I encounter in decluttering homes. I know this will be tough for many but it has to be done. Watch the video. Forget all your excuses. Go magazine hunting!

(boy does this have ST name all over it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhHTgavw ... e=youtu.be
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:06 pm

That's exactly how I did ... except, I didn't keep even one "pass" magazine. They're all gone. I guess Consumers Reports is a minor exception, because I'm keeping two years of regular issues and the auto issues since 2003, but not a complete pass.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:11 am

January 20

Flat surfaces: Small or large, flat surfaces seem to attract clutter! Today I want you to choose just one flat surface in your home, spend ten minutes getting it in order, and then COMMIT to keeping that space clear and uncluttered. Check out the video, choose a surface and get to it. Let me know what space you're working on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FMed6zE ... e=youtu.be
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:18 am

I have a TV tray that is adjustable to a few angles (or flat, of course). I found when doing my homework and reading from the textbook, it was easier to read it at an angle (TV tray has a ledge to stop book) while doing homework. Now, I keep it at an angle permanently, because I find if it's flat, it just attracts papers and stuff. It gets frustrating sometimes when I want to "set something down for a minute", but it's worth it to have it clear.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:19 am

Challenge roundup. How are you doing?

Day 1 - Put away Xmas stuff
Day 2 - sort socks
Day 3 - Plastic lids
Day 4 - Place for remote controls
Day 5 - Clean up bedroom
Day 6 – Towels
Day 7 – Underwear
Day 8 – Paperwork
Day 9 – More paperwork
Day 10 - Platters, Muffin Tins, Baking Trays
Day 11 – Linens/towels
Day 12 – Closet
Day 13 – Spice rack
Day 14 – T-shirts
Day 15 – Rest and admire your first 14 completed challenges
Day 16 – Top shelf of your closet
Day 17 – Organize/toss condiments
Day 18 – Under the kitchen sink
Day 19 – Magazines
Day 20 – Flat surfaces

I'm good on all except flat surfaces & paperwork.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:20 am

When I walk into my apartment, 99% of the time I have something in my hand and it ends up on the kitchen table. Tends to stay there until the weekend. I'm also guilty of doing work on my coffee table with my laptop, so I have a pile of papers, notes etc. on there most the time.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:54 am

There's a spot kind of in between my front door and the door down to the basement to the garage, where I used to have a coffee table (flat only :) ), and I used that for my keys and other junk that was in and out of the house. Since I got rid of all the magazines, it cleared up a half-sized book case, so now I have that there. It has a more narrow surface area than the coffee table and has worked well for that purpose, now.

Speaking of magazines, I liked what he says about just throwing them into the recycle, don't try to figure out how to make the best use for their second life. I think we over analyze that and never get anywhere. Plus, a lot of these places won't take anything, so you spend more time trying to find a second home than it's worth. With clothes and books, it ends up being easier, because as I found out, the library just takes boxes and boxes of books, and we have several used clothing/shoe drops all around town, and in fact there's one within walking distance from me.

What cracks me up is I see baby strollers, kitchen tables, bed mattresses, you name it sitting outside these units. One time I happen to be walking out of a gas station that had one in its parking lot and the pick up guy just happened to come, pick up, and was talking to me and shaking his head at the stuff people left outside of the bin. I laughed. It was like luggage or something, who knows, I forget.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:03 pm

Speaking of magazines, I liked what he says about just throwing them into the recycle, don't try to figure out how to make the best use for their second life. I think we over analyze that and never get anywhere.

Yes. I've had a bag of magazines in the back seat of my car for a couple of months and I keep meaning to drop them off somewhere. They aren't in my house....but clutters the car.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:31 pm

January 21 -

Conquering Your Kids' Toys: You all knew this was coming! Watch the video. Remember to focus ONLY on those toys that are no longer age appropriate for your kids. Don't think too much. Conquer this challenge!! For those without kids or toys, watch the video .... there's a challenge in there for you too!

No kids - you declutter luggage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvIkXf7k ... e=youtu.be
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:10 pm

January 22

Take Your Medicine: Today I want you to tackle your medicine cabinet. Pull everything out. Wipe down the shelves. Group like things together. Collect out-of-date medications together for return to your pharmacy (don't flush or put them in the trash!) Use plastic containers to keep like items together. Already done? Use your ten minutes elsewhere ..... no day off today!
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:29 pm

January 23

Pot, Pans and Small Appliances: We're back in the kitchen today decluttering pots, pans and small appliances. Be tough .... open space in the kitchen will make the room more inviting and motivating. Watch the video. Tackle the challenge. Let's hear what you let go of!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tat2Qb9R ... e=youtu.be
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:45 am

Weekly live radio chat with Peter Walsh

http://www.getreallive.com/live-radio-s ... -jan-24th/
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext