FEBRUARY 2013 HEALTH and FITNESS

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

FEBRUARY 2013 HEALTH and FITNESS

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:36 am

Talk about goals, issues, successes and stories for:

1. Health
  2. Weight change
  3. Fitness
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: FEBRUARY 2013 HEALTH and FITNESS

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:38 am

FRIDAY: Ran 4.3 miles. Bitter cold again. Got very tired just being in the cold, much less the running.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:43 am

Ran 4.3 miles. A little warmer and SNOW! Wore YakTrax. It was two years ago today we had about 2' of snow.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby grahamcl » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:28 am

You know, I was so ticked off when I saw yaktrax the first time! I had lived in the snow and ice of Boone, slipping and sliding all over the place, for years and years. I moved away, and when I was in town a few years ago, saw them at a store and just about had a stroke. WHERE had these things been all my life??? Who had kept them from us? Was it because we were in the south, and who needs them in the south??? A memory of dropping my baby when I slipped in an icy parking lot, and watching him bounce and slide away from me came rushing back. The first pair that I bought was this Christmas, for my son (the one I dropped), and he loves them. When we had ice the other day, he wore them at work and the other guys were jealous! So, so wish I'd had them when I lived up there in the mountains, and if I ever move back, I'll put some in every car as well as several in the house. Probably should do that now anyway. :wink:
"The thing about food, is you're a much happier person if you eat well and treasure your meals."-Julia Child
grahamcl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:15 pm

Ran 4.3 miles. Very cold, still.

I got my first pair of YakTrax a few years ago and I forget how I found out about them. One year, our town decided they were short on salt and didn't use much, so I wore them a lot that winter. But, the very next year they started using salt again and I haven't had to use them much. The plows come through fairly quick and within even less than a day, the roads are very passable without them. I kinda like having to need them. :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:08 am

Ran 4.3 miles.

Later today, have to have a 30 year old tooth filling checked out. Every once in a while I'll bite on something hard with it, and I can tell it's weak or something, and usually hurts as I bite, but then it's OK until I bite on it again the next time with something hard. Well, a few days ago, I really bit on a walnut piece and OUCH! And now, it's really sensitive to cold and hot liquids. So, best to catch whatever's going on with it before it gets worse.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby grahamcl » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Yes, ST, that should definitely be taken care of! Nothing like tooth pain to make a person miserable. I've had waaaay more than my share in that department, and it always get my sympathy!
"The thing about food, is you're a much happier person if you eat well and treasure your meals."-Julia Child
grahamcl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Well, the dentist tested it (I bit on wood sticks real hard at various points and he blew air on it at various points), and he said it would be called "fractured tooth syndrome", i.e., I have a filling in the middle of the tooth from when I was a kid, and the surrounding tooth is under a lot of stress and probably has very tiny fractures starting. He even thought a tiny part of the tooth might have chipped away probably from biting on something. But, I felt no pain when he tested it, except the sensitivity when he blew air on it and it was just like I drink something cold or really hot. So, he gave me a choice, but he didn't seem too concerned about it being an emergency. He could either replace the filling (and since it takes up the whole inside of the tooth), probably end up putting a crown on it he said ... or just see how it goes, since it's just a sensitivity issue. He said if part of it breaks off or I start having problems with pain just from eating normal, then come back and he'll "numb me up" and take care of it. I have a cleaning appointment in just over a month anyhow, so it will be a good time to revisit (unless something happens sooner).

So, no numbing, pain, gagging and biting my lips afterward while eating today! He gave me some sensitivity toothpaste (my teeth are a little sensitive anyhow).
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:32 am

Ran 4.3 miles. Roads were icy. It was raining "ice pellets" according to the weather. Felt like a light rain. Had to be careful, and it slowed me down even more than normal :) , but I made it entire way.

Hours later it started snowing hard.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby grahamcl » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:59 pm

We only got rain, but I would have liked some ice and snow. Feels like we haven't really had a proper winter, and now the daffodils are blooming and robins are here!

Glad the tooth isn't too bad, and maybe it won't have to be pulled. I'm supposed to make an appointment with someone my dentist referred me to, but I really don't want to.

In health news, I'm still hovering at the same weight, still not exercising, and still eating as I please. Maybe if I could manage to get over the cravings and get in some exercise I could change that.
grahamcl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:31 pm

They won't pull the tooth. It's either a filling replacement or a crown (the filling takes up a lot of space, that's why the concern about surrounding support). But, I've been being careful and it's doing OK so far. What will probably happen is I'll forget about it after awhile, and then bite on something hard again and either this will happen again with the sensitivity, or it will crack or chip.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:30 am

Ran 4.3 miles.

I was surprised how bad the roads were still. Probably because we had the freezing ice pellets and then all that snow on top, the plows couldn’t get down to the road. I was still running on a thick layer of hard snow. Plus, snow still stuck to all the trees.

Because of snow blowers, you can see how many inches of snow at the edge of the snow blowing. I'd say 8 to 10 inches. I should have taken a tape measure on my run.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:55 am

Ran 4.3 miles. They plowed again yesterday, because roads were clear. Snow starting to fall off the trees and I ran under small "snow showers" as I passed under trees.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:05 am

TUESDAY: Ran 4.3 miles
S.Thinker
....o