MAY 2013 HEALTH AND FITNESS

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: MAY 2013 HEALTH AND FITNESS

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun May 19, 2013 6:51 pm

I think your computer eats human food.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun May 19, 2013 8:17 pm

ST - :lol:

Walked 3.0 miles. :D
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Sun May 19, 2013 10:23 pm

Hi all,

I know it's too early in the game for me to wax euphoric about exercise, but I'm going to say a few things anyway! Let's hope that I stick with my exercise program and don't embarrass myself.

I've noticed a few things.

1. I felt a tiny little endorphin rush when I finished my workout tonight. That was unexpected. It certainly doesn't mean that I enjoy exercising, but I do enjoy taking steps that shut up my inner critic. LOL.

2. When I looked at myself objectively in the huge gym mirror, I realized that I do look overweight, but I don't look extremely overweight or obese (although my BMI would beg to differ). I was wearing yoga pants and a long-sleeved t-shirt, which were both pretty form-fitting. If I had been looking at a stranger, I would have said that she needed to lose maybe 20-30 pounds and tone up a bit. My body image is so out of proportion with how I actually look. I know that's true for a lot of people. But there was the truth - literally staring me in the face. Since the inner critic had finally been silenced for a few minutes (I had just stepped off the treadmill), I got a rare glimpse as to how I really look.

So, maybe that will be my first goal: lose 20 pounds while getting into the routine of exercising regularly. It's certainly less intimidating than the one I would have chosen prior to today: LOSE 70 POUNDS AND DO IT NOW, NOW, NOW!!! And then... I would have done ABSOLUTELY nothing. Heaven knows I've made the plans enough times.

:lol:

3. The gym has something that's been missing from my life since I stopped working. A concrete floor! It has thin, commercial carpet over it, but underneath it's concrete. I have a back problem that is really helped by laying on a hard floor and stretching my arms over my head. No one has been able to diagnose the back problem, and I've had it since 2003. Laying on the floor like that makes some of the muscles that run beside my spine spasm for a few minutes (OUCH!), but then it feels like everything kind of aligns properly. I used to do this at work all the time (my coworkers got used to it). I can't do it in my apartment, since the carpet pad is so thick, and the other areas of my apartment (with vinyl flooring) still aren't the right consistency. But I can do it at the gym! I did it tonight, and it felt fantastic.

4. Working out at night completely curbs my appetite. I don't feel like eating anything at all afterwards (though I do drink more water - and I already drink a lot of water!). So, my last meal is in the early evening (about 7 pm), which is what the experts say is best for weight loss. It just worked out that way. I'm starving in the morning - which is, apparently, the best time to eat your largest meal of the day. I haven't managed that yet, but I'll work on it.

5. Working out at night also prompts me to take a shower at night, which means that I'm pretty much ready to go when I roll out of bed in the morning. Anything that makes my morning routine easier is what I'm looking for right now. I've always hated having a shower in the morning, but I've been too disorganized to do it at night. I put a morning shower on the same list as having a loud alarm clock. Just a nasty way to start the day. I like my mornings to be very gentle and calm - I like to drink a cup of coffee while I read the news headlines, etc. My EXH used to run the blender (to make a protein shake) first thing in the morning, EVERY MORNING, and you could hear it all over the house. It drove me NUTS. It was so bl**dy loud that I could hear it when I was in the garage! It did not make for a serene and gentle morning.

I love living by myself!!! :D :D :D

OH. The 'stay up all night and sleep all day' project was a bad idea. I'll explain that over in Daily Conversations.

6. Working out decreases my desire to eat junk food. I can't explain that one. Since I've been following the 'everything in moderation' eating plan AND THEN started exercising, I haven't bought any junk food at all. It took the combination of the two to make the difference. Not to say that I won't eat any in the future, but I haven't felt a need or a craving to go out and get anything.

Now, we're just talking about 3 days here. Not exactly a peer-reviewed scientific study. I think I'm writing this down more for myself than for anyone else. But I did want to write it down.

:D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Mon May 20, 2013 4:49 am

Hi

Yes I know ST there is a touch of 'Day of the Triffids' in my computer room :D nothing is safe for long.

Mango I feel the complete opposite of you, I get super hungry after a long walk or workout and eat whatever I can lay my hands on lol

I do think a full length mirror in a bedroom could be a good idea to see what we look like. In my case I think I would be slim all the time after a daily reality check. But it works in reverse, if you think you are much bigger than you are.

I can understand the really hard floor and the back, I used to do that too.

If you are no longer doing your sleep in the daytime routine, what time are you in the gym at nights?

If you want a laugh about my eating so far today -

lots of cold chicken pieces in a sort of tikka flavour and a few grapes (breakfast)

roast veg eg potato, carrot, red onion, aubergine, courgette, tomato
massive portion (plate sized) of stuffing, gravy (lunch)

guess what I feel rather full :?
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Mon May 20, 2013 7:35 am

Hi Unity,

Hmmm...
Aubergine - I would guess that is eggplant.
But courgette - no idea (and trying not to Google it).

:lol:

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Mon May 20, 2013 7:42 am

Oh, I have been going to the gym between 9:30 and 10:00 pm.

One problem - the treadmill that I use isn't in the area picked up by the control sensor for the lights, so they go off after about 15 minutes (since I'm generally the only person there). I can still see what I'm doing because the treadmill is beside the window, so I get all of the light from the street lamps outside. And the treadmill console thingy lights up, of course.

I have to use that one - if I were to use the other one, I could possibly have people on both sides of me, and that would make me claustrophobic. :lol: Our quirks are what make us interesting, right?

:D

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Mon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Aw, cr*p.
I awakened the sleeping giant by posting that stuff. :bash:

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:28 am

Hi all

Mango what sleeping giant?

I am eating roast veg for breakfast and had a small handful of spicy chicken cold pieces just now as I was putting veg into oven. No idea why but for ages now I cannot have cereal or anything else i used to eat in the morning, only savoury and I don't have anything else I can eat. Need to go grocery shopping.

Courgette - looks like a small cucumber, it is usually fried. I wonder what is the name where you live.

So your gym is dark unless someone is inside?

I have let my excercising slide yet again, I think it's because for the past year or more I no longer watch tv and so the routine of doing excercises when the ads came on doesn't apply. Whenever I try and incorporate fitness in some other way it doesn't work.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mango » Tue May 21, 2013 8:36 am

AHA!

Courgette = zucchini!
Who would have guessed?

The sleeping giant is the voice inside my head (the inner critic's boss, I think) that gets very upset when I accomplish anything or get too happy. Then I run off and do something contrary to my goals. Like ordering a pizza to be delivered, and eating it when I'm not hungry. Or skipping a workout. Or both.

:?

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:04 am

Hi, so you have eaten something naughty?

For lunch I was naughty myself(very late so it was dinner really) I had 3 sausage rolls from the bakery, ham - egg - salad long soft roll, 3 bags of crispy snacks they are the low fat variety made from cassava flour and not potato chips so only 83 calories and 2 gms fat instead of the horrendous amounts you get in the other packs then after a gap when I was chatting to a new friend who happens to be a plumber who came over when I had an emergency in the loft with the water tanks today - I had another pack of snacks with salad :oops:

On the plus side I was on my feet most of the day from very early.

Weird thing happened on my way home and man came running up to me and asked if I had a car nearby. I said no and he said a man who lived on the corner was covered in blood as he got attacked by a cat who had got to his pigeons (he has aviaries think they must be racing ones). I was shuddering as I hate anything to do with birds, I spotted someone getting into a car nearby and I directed the man to ask them, then saw them all going towards the house and the man in the garden with a big cloth around his arms obviously the one that was attacked.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue May 21, 2013 11:37 am

Ran 3.2 miles.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby grahamcl » Wed May 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Mango, you won't believe this, but I knew what a courgette was!

I have eaten really, really, really badly today. :oops: I mean, so badly that I can't bear to type the words.

Let's just leave it there, shall we?

I think being hormonal makes it like temporary insanity, right? Like the sharks in a feeding frenzy when they eat other sharks by accident? Yeah, I could've eaten a person without realizing it. :lol:
"The thing about food, is you're a much happier person if you eat well and treasure your meals."-Julia Child
grahamcl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby grahamcl » Wed May 22, 2013 5:20 pm

I have to keep reminding myself that the Walk is in 3 weeks!!! :shock:

I only have three weeks to undo the recent poor eating choices, and get myself presentable. I need a haircut too! :shock: Ack! I really have to make that appointment.

If I manage to behave for the next three weeks, I could be 40 pounds lighter than I was at last year's walk! :D
"The thing about food, is you're a much happier person if you eat well and treasure your meals."-Julia Child
grahamcl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity1 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:05 am

Hi all

Mango - walking updates please !!!!!!

Graham, have you considered drinking lots of water, there was a time when I thought I had a water infection and was drinking lots more than usual to flush it out and I lost an enormous amount of weight in a week. I recall I had bought a skirt without trying it on, it was very tight, barely could do it up. By the Friday, it was very loose, hanging off me.

I decided to do this now as I seem to be in a stalemate with my weight, I'm eating stupidly all the time and won't do excercise. Walking alone isn't making any difference because I'm also doing far less physical work in the house than I ever used to, I've been in a severe resistance for a long time.

ST what is the weather like for you?

I was looking back over this month's thread as I thought someone new had joined but couldn't find the post.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu May 23, 2013 3:17 am

Unity1 wrote:ST what is the weather like for you?

It has been raining and gotten colder, why do you ask?
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges