AUGUST 2013 HEALTH and FITNESS

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: AUGUST 2013 HEALTH and FITNESS

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:47 pm

I'm not sure what thing I did you're referring to.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:49 pm

Scenario Thinker wrote:I'm not sure what thing I did you're referring to.

You changed the name of the thread from the Running thread to the Health and Fitness thread. At least I think you're the one who changed it!

RE: My application for the YMCA financial assistance program. I did it! And I wouldn't have if I didn't have accountability here. All 8 pages are filled in, photocopied, enveloped, and in the mail box. Whew! Glad it's off my list. If they approve it, I can SWIM which would be heavenly for me.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:06 am

ST, I was referring to SW and other unmentionables. Luckily for me it hasn't been mentioned lately :D

Inspired, that's great news.
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:13 am

Unity1 wrote:ST, I was referring to SW and other unmentionables. Luckily for me it hasn't been mentioned lately :D

Inspired, that's great news.

Thanks! I also did 10 minutes yoga in the morning and then 45 minutes before bedtime yesterday.

I'm very curious about the "SW and other mentionables" but I won't ask!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:33 am

inspiresuccess wrote:I'm very curious about the "SW and other mentionables" but I won't ask!

This goes back a few years, talking about sweat (sw), sponges (sp) and ShamWows!. I found about the pinnacle of the conversations and illustrations:

viewtopic.php?p=222568#p222568

Unity can't bear to hear(read) the actual words, so they're abbreviated.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:05 pm

Ran 3.61 miles.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:36 pm

Wow I had over 7,000 on my original username on that thread. I can't remember which date it was now as I was trying not to look too carefully at the content (for obvious reasons ST)

I had forgotten all about the Shammy and the sponges thank you so much (sarcasm) for reminding me. Did you notice I avoided the phrase 'dr.......g with sacrasm)

Inspired I bet you are wondering if you have stumbled upon a madhouse lol

Well done on the yoga. That is something I used to do daily for most of my life but stopped the past year which has caused a detrimental problem I think as I gained weight.

Maybe I'll be inspired by you to carry on again.

I'm trying to avoid the long walks this week as I have a lot to do and don't want to feel too tired.

Saturday - 2+ miles
Sunday - 1.2 mile
Monday - 0.5 mile
Tuesday - 2+ miles
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:52 pm

Unity1 wrote: Did you notice I avoided the phrase 'dr.......g with sacrasm)

"Draining", in case you were wondering, Inspired.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:03 am

Ran 3.48 miles.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:57 pm

You were wrong ST that's not the word I was avoiding.

Saturday - 2+ miles
Sunday - 1.2 mile
Monday - 0.5 mile
Tuesday - 2+ miles
Wednesday - 2+ miles in wrong shoes = sore feet. Started new home excercise regime
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:58 am

Unity1 wrote:
Well done on the yoga. That is something I used to do daily for most of my life but stopped the past year which has caused a detrimental problem I think as I gained weight.

Maybe I'll be inspired by you to carry on again.

I'm trying to avoid the long walks this week as I have a lot to do and don't want to feel too tired.

Saturday - 2+ miles
Sunday - 1.2 mile
Monday - 0.5 mile
Tuesday - 2+ miles

I've found that during the times in my life that I did an hour of yoga daily, I always maintained my ideal weight. Since I need to currently lose 20 lbs. I want to get it going daily again.

Yesterday sucked. I was too depressed to do any kind of exercise. (I'm searching for a new place to live and it's not going well). Today I'm determined to get my yoga done. I hope you'll get inspired to do it, too!

I looked at your list of walking and said to myself, "Yikes! What's your excuse for not at least doing a 10 minute daily walk"? I hope your walking will inspire me to get out there at least 2-3 times per week and just do a little walking. At least until I hear from the YMCA and can hopefully shift to swimming.

Congrats to you for walking DAILY! Cool!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:28 am

Ran 4.57 miles.

I hope I inspire you, too, InspireSuccess. I've been reporting my running mileage about 4 times a week for YEARS on this thread.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:27 pm

Scenario Thinker wrote:Ran 4.57 miles.

I hope I inspire you, too, InspireSuccess. I've been reporting my running mileage about 4 times a week for YEARS on this thread.

Hi Scenario Thinker,

I'm truly hoping you will inspire me to try running again. I need to start out slowly with walking first to test my bum knee. (I hate walking!) And then I'll slowly mix in a little jog and see how it goes. I would LOVE to run again. So, thanks for posting your running mileage! And congrats for your CONSISTENCY which is VERY IMPRESSIVE!

Yesterday I did well. I did 40 minutes of yoga. I also did 1 hour of a mixture of things that help me physically -- Alexander technique (which helps with posture and back/neck problems), using handballs on my back for back massage, and Reflexology foot massage (which, like yoga, tunes up the system). I also listened to a self-hypnosis tape for relaxation.

Today - I got outside and walked for 20 minutes. And did foot massage again.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:46 pm

Saturday - 2+ miles
Sunday - 1.2 mile
Monday - 0.5 mile
Tuesday - 2+ miles

Wednesday - 2+ miles in wrong shoes = sore feet.
Started new home excercise regime

Thursday - fitness workout.....+1 mile walk
Friday - fitness workout followed by lawn mowing + 1.5 miles

I had to laugh when I read inspired's post rather too quickly, thinking I saw 'handbells'. That seemed like an interesting idea lol
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:42 pm

inspiresuccess wrote:I'm truly hoping you will inspire me to try running again.

Just so you know, I'm not just trying to inspire you to run again, just trying to inspire consistency. I wouldn't want to see you get injured. :)

When I had an injury in the past where I couldn't run for three months (devastating to my younger self at the time), I started walking, and I grew to like it quite a bit. I could see the scenery better and could actually look at stuff, where it's more difficult while running. But, of course, walking's not perfect either. I started getting shin splints. But, it might have helped if I wouldn't have built up to regular 3 hour sessions going at a good clip sometimes. It would have saved time, because I felt like all I was doing was walking. But, then about 3 months later, I was able to run again, so I scrapped the walking. But, I always know I can fall back on it (assuming I can still walk, of course :) ).

But, I was dumb. I had just finished one of my earlier marathons, and a week later started doing speed training. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I felt great, though, so why not? Ouch, that's why not. I don't do speed training any more, I just plod along. I'd rather keep going than get sidelined with an injury.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges