Write Two Pages a Day Challenge

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: Write Two Pages a Day Challenge

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:20 am

I found the word count in Libre Office but it won't let me use it. Could you tell me what your word count is per page (and whether it's single space, double space, etc)?

It's important for me to write about my art (and music) in order to get clear about what I want to accomplish and what the theme and concepts are. Since I'm not a writer, just writing about them will be helpful. But the word count would give me an idea in case I want to write a magazine article or something that would have to be submitted.

Maybe I can call the computer tech who installed Libre Writer and see if they know how to do a word count.

I'm impressed with your dedication to writing, considering the fact that you think a lot of it isn't good. That's cool. And inspiring to me with my art work. In other words, -- it doesn't have to be "good". That reminds me of an affirmation I used to use a long time ago when I was designing. Here it is:

"It doesn't have to be good. It just has to be done".
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:38 pm

My word count is about 500 words per page. This is with Times New Roman font size 12. Line spacing is multiple at 1.15 and there are ten points of spacing after paragraphs. I just copied the spacing information. I know that the ten points after the paragraph means there's a little extra space between paragraphs. I just pulled up an average page of writing with several paragraphs in it.

My computer is a Windows PC. The word count doesn't show up when I write on the Boards, for example, but it comes up automatically in word in the lower left hand corner of the screen. Also, if I click on a phrase, it will show the word count in that phrase.
I'm not being modest. What I write for NaNoWriMo isn't very good. I'm just trying to get a lot of words written. My first drafts are always terrible, and it takes a lot of editing to get them to where I want them.

I hope you'll let us know how your art comes along.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:57 am

Thanks, Elaine. I'm just going to assume that single space, 12 times roman, is one page for now.

I just wrote 1.25 pages in journal writing about the art project I'm working on. I'm not going to worry about getting exactly 2 pages done every day right now. Whatever I write per day is a start.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:57 am

P.S. My plan is to do this thread for writing about art and music. And the other Xday thread for actually setting goals for the art work.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:19 pm

For me, and for most of my writer friends, one page per day, or about 500 words, is a very full day of writing.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fotografa » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:48 am

Hello, is this challenge still on?

I am writing a few pages a day (handwriting) following the advise of Julia Cameron from her book "The artist's way". She recommends the writing in the morning for unclogging the creativity flow...So my pages are more random thoughts and for my own record.

What kind of writing are you doing in the two pages? Is it for public eye? How do you get yourself moving every single day on this challenge?
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:54 am

Hi Fotografa,

Welcome to the Boards! It looks like people haven't posted here for awhile. That doesn't mean you can't get the challenge up and going again. I'd like to start doing some writing myself and I think 2 pages a day is a realistic goal for me. Thanks for bringing the thread up again. Let's see if we can challenge ourselves to get a minimum in.

Most people on the Steps Per Day thread are writers. You're welcome to join that thread. They're much more active, accomplished and published authors, which definitely doesn't describe me!

I've been a journal writer most of my life. I still want to do journal writing, but I want to expand the type of journal writing I do. For instance, I'd like to start writing dialogue between different parts of myself. I want my artist self and my designer self to "talk" to each other to compare what they have in common and what is different in what they do. Dialogue journaling is a specific type of journaling that I haven't done and would like to try.

I've read the book you've mentioned. Good for you for giving it a try. I am assume you're reading/writing that book because you have some artistic goals so we probably have that in common. I've also read Wishcraft and it definitely changed my life. I'm glad you've discovered both books.

Let's see if we can motivate each other to wite two pages a day!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fotografa » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:09 pm

Hello InspireSuccess,
and thanks for your reply!
Sorry I didn't find the thread "Steps per day" yet, where could I find it?

the idea of a journal in dialogue is very interesting. We certainly have many aspects to our personality, as human beings, and that approach can integrate different parts of us, making them cooperate on the same page. It also seams more theatrical and you can get to know yourself better through it.
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:39 pm

Fotografa wrote:Sorry I didn't find the thread "Steps per day" yet, where could I find it?
It starts new each month. Right now, it's December 2016 Daily Stepping. It's in the Success Stories forum.

Fotografa wrote:...the idea of a journal in dialogue is very interesting. We certainly have many aspects to our personality, as human beings, and that approach can integrate different parts of us, making them cooperate on the same page. It also seams more theatrical and you can get to know yourself better through it.

The dialogue approach comes from Ira Progoff, who developed a really interesting journal writing process. I've been using it for years. There are so many different parts to it. There are many I've never used and some I've used off and on, but years ago. I look forward to seeing what comes up with the dialogue.

How are you doing with your 2 pages per day?
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fotografa » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:01 am

Oh, thank you InspireSuccess, I will visit the December Stepping to see what's happening.

My pages are going OK, they became one of my daily routines. Like brushing my teeth. It's easier every day and I'm curious to see where this exercise leads.

I goggled Ira Progoff and I had a pleasant surprise. I knew journalling has a therapeutic effect, I was feeling it on myself :), but I'm happy to see someone dedicated professionally to this method.
I will look into it. Thanks!
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:01 pm

I kept a journal starting at age 13. It got me through the miserable junior high school and first half of high school! I read the Ira Progoff. As well, the Diary of Anais Nin is definitely recommended for anyone needing inspiration in journal-ling. I think the second volume is the one with the highest acclaim, IIRC.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:14 pm

SquarePeg, I've read Anais Nin off and on throughout the years. Thanks for reminding me. I'll get one of her books out of the library soon.

Fotografa, tell me more about your work with The Artist's Way. Are you learning new things about yourself? Do you have specific goals with your photography that you're focusing on with the book? Which chapter are you on?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fotografa » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:32 am

inspiresuccess wrote:Fotografa, tell me more about your work with The Artist's Way. Are you learning new things about yourself? Do you have specific goals with your photography that you're focusing on with the book? Which chapter are you on?

Inspiresuccess, you are really very nice and inspiring to get this going and care about my "stuff" like you do! It's good to feel that someone else is also caring about your wishes.
The Artist's way, is a book I didn't finish and I want to use as a helping guide to reconnect with my own creativity and get past some blocks.
But, right now I'm in the middle of a big project called relocating to USA, from Italy. I leave this Sunday and so all of my energy is on that.
I do write the journal every day, and I wish to do the steps in Artist's Way, only it will have to wait until next year.

How about you?
From the other topic about hearing difficulties I see you are going through a special life situation, it could be a good book about how you deal with it.
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:02 pm

Welcome to the USA! What part of the country will you be living in?

Even though you're not working on The Artists Way right now, the fact that you've gotten into the habit of writing the journal every day is great. I'm glad that part of the book is helpful. The book wasn't the right type of book for me, but I did get one thing from Artist's Way that I still use. It's the phrase, "Leap and the net will appear". Whenever I'm doing something new and I'm nervous about it, I print the sentence and post it on my wall to help me have the courage to move forward.

Thank you for your support with my hearing loss. I read your last post in that thread and I plan to be back there soon and respond to what you said.

When exactly are you going to be moving here?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fotografa » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:50 pm

Hello InspireSuccess, thank you for welcoming me:). It's going to be a great adventure; hopefully I will establish there for the rest of my life. The longest plan I ever had.
I will be moving this Sunday, in 2 days.
First in NY to family, than eventually in NJ, don't know where yet.
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges