Gratitude - 2015

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Gratitude - 2015

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:58 pm

Post what you're grateful for.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Gratitude - 2015

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:58 pm

Today I'm grateful for

things going right for a change
Molly
My HO and Boards friends
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:25 am

Hi,

I'm grateful to be back again on the bsher boards.

I'm grateful, Elaine, to see you starting this thread fresh for 2015.

I'm grateful for the sunshine today.

I'm grateful that I survived 2014 -- very, very, very difficult year.

I'm grateful for the opportunity (always, but especially at the New Year) to start over, start again, start up again, reconnect again, speak again, listen again, make new friends again, be creative again, see new things, do new things, etc., etc., etc.

I'm grateful to be alive!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:50 am

This article gives much to think about.

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/20 ... new-nikes/
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:53 pm

I've been really sick lately and feeling sorry for myself so I thought I would make an effort to look for things to be grateful for.

I'm grateful that I have a nice apartment in a nice area of a nice city.

I have this apartment because the county I live in is trying to end homelessness. Unfortunately, the money they had was far less than what was needed and they had to stop helping any new homeless people that weren't already in the program.

After teetering on the edge of homelessness for 13 years I finally met someone who worked there who stepped up and found a place for me. Now the government pays for part of my rent and I pay for the rest.

I am sick but I am blessed to have a wonderful apartment to be sick in!

We all have so many things to be thankful for. I hope more people stop by this thread and join in. It's important to say "Thank you" to the Universe.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:02 pm

I am also thankful to the government in Utah. (I live in California).

I saw a news report on John Stewart's show about how, in Utah, they came up with the solution to homelessness by giving the homeless............. homes! They found that it actually cost much less to house the homeless than it did to pay for the other services that are generally used to deal with the homeless. I hope other governments follow their example.

It's basically what the county I live in planned to do but ran out of funding for it.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:19 pm

Interesting article, Tituba,
It makes complete sense that someone without money would want to buy things - just as someone who is overweight (like me) would eat ice cream to feel better. I think if we weren't so inundated with advertisements it would help.

Hi, Inspire, I hope things look up for you, and soon.

Some people don't like to "count their blessings," but for me - especially when things are rotten, I need to do that - not to deny the problems which are very real, but to give me a sense of balance.

Anyway, today I'm grateful for:

Internet friends,
my writing group
Molly
no computer gliches
having the basics (food, health, money) covered.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:30 pm

Hello everyone,

Today I'm grateful for the sun that is gradually breaking through the dark morning fog. I live in Northern California (SF Bay Area). The morning fog, I find depressing, but today the sun is working hard at shining through. It inspires me to try to "shine through" the fog of my life.

I'm also grateful for my kitchen. It's the perfect size for me. I move around it like a master chef because everything is immediately within reach.

I'm grateful for the fact that I grew up in a house with an apple orchard. I learned to make just about anything you can think of from apples: cobbler, pies, crisp, jelly, etc. My mom died when I was 15 years old but she taught me to cook and to make a great pie crust from scratch. I have some apples that were donated to me and I'm going to make an apple crisp today. Can you smell it baking? The cinnamon and cloves, the fresh apples, the crisp, all blending together and flooding the apartment with their scents? Isn't food wonderful? I'm grateful for food and for my mom for teaching me how to cook and bake.

Elaine -- Who is Molly and why are you so grateful to have her in your life?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:45 pm

Hi, Inspire,

I love home-baked apple pie, and anything else with apples and cinnamon.

Molly is my dog. I guess I do mention her a lot. My project for the moment is The Molly Chronicles a slice of life from the perspective of an intelligent Border Collie with an above-average work ethic. It's available on Amazon, or you can read about Molly for free on my website [url]Temporaryaddress-jody.blogspot.com[/url] By the way, those are her words, not mine. She's just a bit conceited.

Today I'm grateful for the beautiful blue jay who is taking up residence in my plum tree.
The fact that there is nothing bad happening in my life right now.
Sophos anti-virus system (You can guess what that's about.)
My friends, whom I'm going to meet with in a couple of hours.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:20 am

Today I am grateful for inventors -- those wonderful people who say, "How can we do this better?", or "What can I make that doesn't exist yet?"

Today, specifically, I'm grateful for whoever invented the LazyBoy recliner. I can rock gently in it (and I do love rocking! very soothing) or I can push it back into recliner position and watch TV. Sometimes, I even curl up, throw my electric "throw blanket" over me, and sleep in it when I'm feeling really depressed.

I'm also grateful for the discovery of my electric throw blanket. I thought electric blankets were just designed for beds but they're not. They also make ones to throw over you while reading or watching TV.

Which leads to my third grateful thing -- the Big Lots store! I went there to buy an electric blanket for my bed and saved so much money I was able to buy the electric throw blanket for just $4.00! What a deal! Almost 2 for 1!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Elaine,

I went to Molly's website and read a little and really got hooked! I'll go back and read more later. Give Molly a pet for me and tell her I love animals and I was pleased to meet her in print and look forward to hearing more about her views on life, humans, and fellow animals (like sheep).

And, regarding sheep -- they're not really stubborn, they just appear that way because they're just, um, not, ah, as highly intelligent as dogs. I love sheep! They're darling. They just get confused sometimes and appear stubborn when they are thinking --- slowly --- about what to do... or where to go... next. I know from a dog's quick perspective it might seem stubborn when it's just...slow...er.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:06 pm

Today I received flowers from a client. Totally unexpected and very appreciated.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:27 am

I think it's great that Elaine created this thread in the "Monthly Challenges" area. IT IS A CHALLENGE TO BE GRATEFUL FOR WHAT WE HAVE SOMETIMES.

Now that I've joined here, I think each day, "What do I have to be grateful for today?" And sometimes I'm too bummed out to think of anything! But making the effort each day, whenever I think of it --sitting in traffic, taking a shower, walking to work, hanging from a tree (I added that last one to see if you were really paying attention!) usually I can come up with something, and when I do, I feel better.

So, it's a CHALLENGE, guys! Give it a try. See what you come up with. Share it with us. You can do it! Tell us how it's going. We'd love to hear from you.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi,

I'm grateful for the internet for so many reasons but just now I'm grateful to find out how to make an old DVD work when it wasn't working. Use white vinegar and a soft, flannel cloth. Hold the DVD from the edge with a finger in the hole, dip the cloth into the vinegar and wipe from center to edge, turning it in a circle on your finger. Then dry the same way with the cloth and let dry completely. It unstuck my old DVD and now it's working again!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:12 pm

Hi, Inspire,

Thanks for the kind words, the tip on cleaning disks, and checking out Molly's work. The Molly Chronicles is available on Amazon, but I'm not making a lot of noise about it, because I want to first post it on Eileen's website on Gogetfunding.com Barbara Sher posted it here under "Doing good in the world," and I want to donate copies of The Molly Chronicles to people who donate money to Eileen. The e-book is not done, which is what's holding up my idea. Eileen's comments and poem appear in the book, which is part of why I want to donate the book as a gift to those who contribute.

By the way, Daryl the Sheep has answered Molly's disparaging comments about sheep, and pointed out that sometimes herding dogs are b-a-a-a-d. Molly can be a bit uppity, I'm sorry to say.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges