2015 - Peter Walsh 31 day Declutter Challenge

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: 2015 - Peter Walsh 31 day Declutter Challenge

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:30 pm

Okay. I'm here. I'm understanding that his challenge is to commit to 10 minutes a day. That seems doable.

Day 8. Done! Well, not really! I don't have any pets or kids so I don't have to do that day.

Day 7. Under the sink. I thought this would be easy because my apartment building finally set up recycling. (Yes, it took them until 2015 to set up any recycling. Before that it all went into one dumpster). When they gave me my little compost bin I did work under the sink to make space for it and a separate recycling bag in addition to my regular (don't know where this garbage goes) bin.

But with the 10 minute challenge I took everything out again, CLEANED the area, and spent the time rethinking what's under there. There's a small cupboard next to it that is really designed for cereal boxes but I had cleaning stuff like sponges under there. So, I got the under sink done and the cereal box cupboard done. It's not a lot but it looks and feels better. I think I might like this challenge. (Well, until I get to the major areas of my space!) We'll see. I'm willing to give it a go.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:11 am

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:57 am

Hey,

how is everyone doing with this?

I like the 10-minute time frame. Instead of saying, "I have to clean the bathroom, I have to clean the kitchen" and then not doing it and driving myself nuts hearing myself say that over and over, I've now started setting the timer for 10 minutes and just going in the kitchen or bathroom, doing what I can and then leaving when the timer goes off. Feels so good to walk away and know something got done!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:27 pm

You are doing great inspired! I find the daily 10 min assigned task a better way for me to stay on top of the clutter than randomly decluttering. When I don't have a plan, a assigned task, I tend to wander and not get a lot accomplished. Whatever works is best for you. Keeping flat surfaces clean has always been a struggle.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:02 am

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:33 am

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:36 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Tituba. (I always wondered how you got that name?!)

I read through every challenge and combined a few. When I did the sock drawer it reminded me of a good way to use unmatched socks. Put them over your hand and use them for dusting. Works really well!

I almost didn't read the "Declutter for good" because I thought, "THAT will never happen!" But I read it and I'm glad I did. I'm still working on my kitchen so I went through the cupboards for things I don't use and came up with a bag of stuff for the Good Will. I hang onto things that I think I'll use "at some point"! I really had to pry the pizza pan out of my hands. Me? Make pizza? That's what you eat when you DON'T want to cook and want to order in! But I thought, "Well, I might use if for.........something!" Couldn't think of thing so out it goes.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:54 pm

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:55 pm

I fill odd socks with cat nip and donate them to the pet shelter
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:09 pm

I did Day 1, and then fell off the wagon. Maybe I'll try again in February. Good vibes to those of you who are successfully decluttering.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:34 pm

I fill odd socks with cat nip and donate them to the pet shelter

(I don't remember how to make that a quote from Tituba)

What a great idea! How do you fasten it closed?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:24 am

I either make a quick hand stitch or I use a sewing machine.

Day 18 - Junk drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyyrWVI ... e=youtu.be
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:21 am

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:59 pm

I did the junk drawer. But 10 minutes? It took me FIVE 10-minute time frames -- 50 minutes. It looks really good but to be totally honest, some stuff just got moved to the other junk drawer! But it's headed in the right direction. I did the kitchen junk drawer and some stuff got moved to the office supply junk drawer.

I also did the kitchen pans challenge. Again, 10 minutes isn't enough time. They're still all over my kitchen counter. But that's partly because I decided to clean the cupboards before putting all the pans back in.

I also did the books challenge. I didn't find five books yet to give away but I did get books reorganized in the 10 minutes. The reality is.......... I have about 200-300 books. Yes. I know. Book junkie. But I'm determined to get rid of as many as possible so I will go back and keep doing 10 minute intervals.

I'm starting to get the hang of these challenges and the 10 minute time frame. I'm glad that I'm doing it. I'm focused on the kitchen and it's really looking better every day.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:20 am

You are doing so well inspired! Junk drawers are a challenge. I keep the stuff because, well, it is good stuff, though the truth is, rarely even touched. Just moved around and organized every now and then. Otherwise, I don't use the stuff, but don't toss the stuff either. I have, however, been able to get it to one drawer. Wait. That's not true. The drawer in my nightstand is a catch-all as well.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges