Jan 2015 EXERCISE BigButt,BellyHang,BoobDroop Crowd

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Jan 2015 EXERCISE BigButt,BellyHang,BoobDroop Crowd

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:36 pm

Okay. I'm 40 pounds overweight. I haven't exercised in five years.

Here's the Challenge:

TEN MINUTES PER DAY OF MOVING YOUR BODY.

WHAT COUNTS:

Air guitar counts. Sex counts (Unless you just lie there while your partner does all the moving)! Walking ten minutes counts. 10 minutes of yoga counts. Free style dancing to your favorite music counts.

WHAT DOESN'T COUNT: Lying on your sofa while watching an exercise video. Lying on a park bench while watching a group of seniors do Tai Chi outdoors. (unless it took you 5 minutes to walk to the park. Remember: walking for 5 minutes in one direction means you have to walk back for 5 minutes. This counts!)

WE HAVE TO MOVE FOR TEN MINUTES EACH DAY. IS ANYBODY UP FOR THIS CHALLENGE?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Jan 2015 EXERCISE BigButt,BellyHang,BoobDroop Crowd

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:23 pm

I thought I'd add one more thing. We, as a group, (assuming someone joins me!) will decide: DOES IT COUNT? YES! NO!

This past week I did watch a one hour yoga class online while lying on my back in my Lazy Boy Recliner. DOES IT COUNT? NO! Although it did tell me I might want to try some of those postures (for ten minutes!) in the future.

I do have exercise videos/DVDs that I used to do a long time ago. I AM SO RELIEVED to know that when I get them out (and dust them off!) all I need to do is TEN MINUTES! All those exercise programs are always 30, 40, 60 minutes long. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? AFTER ALL THIS TIME? NO WAY! So, what happens? I don't do them AT ALL!

It will be interesting to see what it feels like to just do TEN MINUTES and then get on with my day.

I'm not going to weigh myself. I'm not going to measure myself. I'm not going to track my "progress". I'm just going to start moving again.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:41 pm

Ouch!

I dug around and came up with a thing called Bender Ball. The ball is small -- about 6-8 inches diameter. Not one of those big exercise balls. This one is small and fits in the lower part of your back. Then you do some simple, small movements with your abs. (It comes with a DVD and the ball just gets blown up)

Level 1 (done twice in a row) makes up about 10 minutes.

At one point she says, "Put your hand on your ab and feel that muscle". Um.................. after 40 lbs of extra weight all I felt was a large, swishy area. I know there are still muscles under there because after doing the level one twice I definitely felt an "ouch" inside there.

10 minutes didn't see like long but after all these years with no exercise, I have a feeling I'm going to feel some pain tomorrow. We''ll see!

I remember why I got this. It's because it really protects your back while doing ab stuff.

The DVD didn't work after all this time and I had to go online to learn how to properly clean a DVD and make it work again. (The cleaning process worked!) I might have to clean some other DVDs when I finally uncover them in the closet.

Well......................I've begun!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:17 pm

I'm up for it.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:46 pm

GOD, THIS IS SO PATHETIC! I did 10 minutes ONE DAY and this is the 2nd day and I did nothing! I thought about it several times during the day but didn't get it done!

Sigh! WHERE IS THE "CHEERING SECTION THAT WON'T QUIT" THAT IT SAYS ON THE HOME PAGE?

HELP, GUYS! I NEED SOME SUPPORT!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:52 pm

I guess I'm going to give up on this. It's either not the right time or I just can't do it without support.

Signing off.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi, Inspire,

I'm cheering, but I I don't post every day.

I haven't done very well either, but I think I'm still in the game but having a set back. I do know it's worth doing, and once we get into the habit of ten minutes a day, we won't be able to get through a day without the 10 minute workout.

I don't know if it's the right time for you or not. That's for you to decide. Either way, here's my ten minutes of support.

I really don't post every day. And sometimes life happens and the Boards have to take a back seat. So I'm sorry if you expected a reply and didn't get one.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:54 am

Hi Elaine,

No, it's not you. I just feel frustrated with the "Boards" in general. This used to be such a fun, lively, friendly place but it feels like a ghost town to me now --- like one of those old Wild West movies with the empty, ghost town with a tumbleweed drifting down the empty main street. Where did everyone go?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:03 pm

This board has been on the decline for about 3 years. Those who are still serious about life change are members of the paid board http://barbarasclub.com. This board stopped being about wish/obstacles and helping people a long time ago when people started using the board as a diary. Most serious readers of Barbara's work abandoned the board when it went in this direction.

Barbara leaves this board up because there are valuable threads and people use the board for reference. Don't be discouraged at the lack of participation.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Hi,

It sounds as if you were a part of the Boards when there was a lot going on. It has been much quieter lately. Especially in the last year when a whole lot of regulars left.

I am part of Barbara's Club (see Tituba's comment) but I also like to post here. The two sites are different. Barbara's Club - Hanging Out - HO offers a topic a couple of times a week, either an audio clip, a video clip, or a written page or two. Some clips hit me spot on, some not so much. That figures. Not everything Barbara writes is going to apply to every single person. I have made friends on both web sites, and I wrote two books, with a lot of help and encouragement from the Boards, and from Hanging Out, but mostly from the Boards. I've gotten some great help from HO when I've needed it, but the day to day "keep going" type of help has come from here more than from HO.

Since the Boards are maintained without us paying anything, I sometimes wonder if this isn't just "too good to be true." And maybe that's why HO has more people posting there.

Meanwhile, the two things you can do here are to gravitate towards the threads with the most activity, and reply to the new people who post here so that they won't think this is a ghost town.

I hope this helps.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:29 am

Just had a thought. Please, please, ignore me if I'm wrong. You use the words that a drill sergeant in boot camp would use. Of course I have that drill sergeant in my head as well. Most of us do. What I read is the sense of "maybe if I got really tough with myself. . . "

Are you having any fun with the exercise? If not, would a different activity be more enjoyable?

Also, 40 lbs. is not 100 lbs. or 200 lbs.

For me - I'm about 45 lbs. over my ideal weight. I used to be 15 lbs. heavier than I am now, (60 pounds over ideal weight) and my doctor told me I had diabetes (one point over the line). That was eight years ago. (That was also right after Halloween.) I dropped 30 pounds and the diabetes went away. Also, the ache in my back, the limp, and the pain in my hip dropped down to no big deal. For me for now, if I dropped 7 pounds, the aches would be no big deal. So I'd rather drop the weight, than have back surgery and a hip replacement, and start taking insulin, and deal with whatever else would come with the extra weight. Or at least, I'd like to postpone those things. I'm retired, and that gives me lots of time to do things, but it's so tempting to just watch TV and eat junk food.

For me, if it's not fun, or at least close to fun, I won't do it. I walk my dog every day. Over the eight years, we've probably walked about 2000 miles. If I feel grumbly, I look at her, and check out the trees and sky and such, and I think that I'd be in way worse shape if I didn't have our daily walks.

I want to add one more activity to my life. That's the ten minutes I'm trying to commit to with these posts. I'm not an exercise-class kind of person, and I don't like Yoga. I like the gym, swimming, aerobic gardening, and I have a cardio machine that I can use while I watch TV. (I'm very much a TV sort of person.) So I would like to add 10 minutes a day of any of the activities I've mentioned above. Or take Molly for a longer walk that our usual. I haven't ridden a bike in years, but my husband and I used to enjoy doing that.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:38 pm

Hi Tituba and Elaine,

Thanks for your feedback.

Tituba -- I did go to Barbara's new site but one thing she said in the video made me come back here. She said "There will be no goals". I'm at a point in my life where I want to START making goals again and having support doing them.

Elaine -- you suggested I post on other forums. Since I haven't been here in a long time, my plan was, to just choose one forum -- Monthly Challenges -- and stick with that awhile before checking out other ones. I chose Tituba's De-cluttering challenge and your Gratitude challenge to start with. Then I decided to add one more -- my own 10 minute exercise challenge. I will (and have) started going to other Forums, as you suggested. Check out my Favorite Quote that I just added.

Elaine, thanks also for adding your personal information about why you want to join this thread. I really appreciate your profile. I will do the same here soon.

And no. I'm not a drill sergeant! :lol: I've adored exercise my entire life and really, really miss it. I'll tell you more about that soon when I write my exercise profile like you did.

Thanks, again, guys. I'm not giving up yet. I just need to ease myself back into the barbarasher.com process again. My main focus right now is the De-Cluttering thread. I moved into this apartment a year ago and before I had a chance to organize anything I was injured in an auto accident. I've lived here a year without being able to do any exercise or being able to organize closets or re-arrange furniture because of the injury. All I've done for a year is survive.

I'm now well enough to do 10 minutes a day of exercise and start going through boxes and closets to organize and de-clutter. And I'm reminding myself to focus on being grateful for what I do have and what I can do.

The idea of 10 minutes of exercise actually came from doing the De-Cluttering Challenge. He has you do 10 minutes of whatever the challenge is and I thought, "Hey, maybe that's a way I could get back into exercising again"! And I came up with the title of the thread so it could be fun and easy and not to serious! :lol:

I'll be back here soon to do my Exercise Profile.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:11 pm

Keep in min the BTN rule (better than nothing). This applies to exercise and decluttering. Doing 5 jumping jacks is better than nothing. Wiping down the sink, is BTN. I know for me, I get caught up in the "all or nothing" thinking that tends to stop me from doing anything. When I realign to BTN thinking and do some (any) small step, I find the energy to do more.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:10 pm

Yes, Tituba, on the BTN way of thinking. BTW I started the declutter challenge, and fell off the wagon. I plan to try it again in February. Inspire, I'm glad you're having success with it.

Inspire, I didn't know about the accident. You're definitely smart to start very small, and just keep going.

Me: I'm going to do my cardio machine for ten minutes tonight. So thanks for the thread and the inspiration to get started.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:45 am

Thanks, Inspire,

I did the ten minutes, but only because I had said, on this thread that I would do it. It was really hard. I used to do 30 minutes and more, no problem and with more tension (rather smugly, I'm afraid.) Anyway baby steps. Thanks for the motivation.

Okay, off to jury duty.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges