Jan 2015 EXERCISE BigButt,BellyHang,BoobDroop Crowd

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

Re: Jan 2015 EXERCISE BigButt,BellyHang,BoobDroop Crowd

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:34 pm

still getting some yoga done each day and exercising in the car most of the time when I drive. hey, it's a start!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:07 pm

wow! just did a great session of yoga! very relaxed and feeling so much better. I really didn't want to do it today. I didn't sleep well last night but I'm so glad a pushed through and got it done.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:04 pm

FINALLY! I'm doing some yoga EVERY DAY and I'm doing MORE THAN 10 MINUTES! WOW!

I was hoping that doing 10 minutes a day of SOMETHING would get me reconnected with exercise. So far, I'm doing yoga and car exercise. Hopefully, I will move on to other things as well.

ANYBODY OUT THERE DOING THIS CHALLENGE? I hope so. Let us know how you're doing.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:53 pm

Yes.

I'm not exercising every day, but i"m getting more done than I would if this thread weren't here.

I'm so glad that the yoga is working for you. I've tried yoga, and I just don't like it, but the way you write about it makes me want to try the one you're doing. My body needs the stretching, and I like the mind-body connection that yoga addresses. Not sure why I don't like it.

I can now do 20 minutes easily on the cardio machine, and when I started 10 minutes was impossible.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:50 pm

Hiatus from exercising. Got back into it today.

Inspire, are you still enjoying the yoga?
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:21 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been gone awhile. Big health scare. Lots of tests. Very few answers. Not even doing 10 minutes a day of exercise.

I'm going to start again. 10 minutes a day might seem small but if you do it 6 days a week it adds up to ONE HOUR. That counts.

I will be starting yoga again. Still loving it, Elaine!

I moved my TV into another room where there will be more space to do some exercise DVDs. However............... once I moved the TV it stopped having a picture! I found the instructions but after fiddling for awhile I still haven't gotten it to work. But in the meantime, I can get back to yoga.

Hey, guys! Anyone else out there who is doing 10 minutes a day of exercise? Would love to hear from you. 286 views on this thread but..........only Elaine and me checking in. Please..............come join us! We'd love the company!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:50 pm

Hi, Inspire,
I was walking Molly today and wondering how you were doing. Very sorry about the health scare. I hope it turns out to be only that - a scare. I'm not working out every day, but I'm doing something. The walk I mentioned earlier was my second of the day. So that counts.

Thanks for the post.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:50 pm

My 10 minutes of yoga has been growing on it's own and I'm now doing about 20-30 minutes without timing myself. I'm soooooo grateful. It does work, folks. You start putting in the 10 and then it gets easier and then your time gets longer on its own and then the tape measure around the waist gets smaller.

Lots of views here but where are those Big Butted, Belly-Hangin' Folks out there? ARE YOU ALL JUST READING THIS??? That's like watching an exercise show on TV while lying on the sofa eating bon-bons. Ya gotta get up and DO SOMETHING! 10 minutes a day! YOU -- yes, YOU THERE -- come and join us. NOW!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:38 am

Well, Good-bye, everyone. I was hoping to get help staying motivated with my exercise but since only one person joined in, I'm going to go someplace else on the internet where I can get support. To those of you who read the post but didn't join in, I wish you the best of luck with your exercise. To Elaine -- thanks for joining me. Good luck to you, too. Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:17 am

:( :( :( :( :(

Well, you inspired success in me. I haven't done ten minutes every day, but I did enough exercising to make a difference. And I still feel as if I'm part of this challenge even though I haven't been 100% faithful. I hope you see this post and know that I said "Thank you."
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 01, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi Elaine,

Let's talk yoga. Is it the 15 minutes of yoga you hate, or the 15 minutes of centering prayer, or both? Tell me what it is about it that you don't like.

I must say, if your goal is to get limber and not be stiff, 15 minutes of prayer each week will not help you with that goal!!!

I will come back with some suggestions tomorrow but if you could answer my questions, it would help. I'm sure we can get you limber in a way you might like.

P.S. A gazillion years ago, I used to be a diet/exercise counselor. I created individual programs for my clients based on what they liked. I think if you're doing something you don't like just because you think it's "good for you", you won't stick to it.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat May 02, 2015 9:30 pm

It's the 15 minutes of yoga that I don't like. The stretches hurt, even gentle stretches. I don't like the bending over. My stomach gets queasy. I don't mind the balance exercises. And of course everything is awkward because I'm new at it.

I like the centering prayer.

As far as exercise goes, and I need it, I walk my dog for 30 minutes each day, sometimes longer. I like going to the gym. I like swimming, (don't like all the prep work - changing clothes, shower, etc.) so I don't go swimming often. I like working on my cardio machine at home. Years ago, I hurt my leg on the treadmill, so at the gym, I avoid all the standing equipment - treadmill, elliptical, etc. I like the stationary bikes. I love the rowing machine, which I can blitz out on for a long time. I don't like the nautilus equipment, but you're supposed to do some of that in your exercise routine, so I do a little of it. Having said all that, I don't go to the gym all that often, but I do go, and I do like it. I don't like exercise classes. And I'm horribly stubborn and don't like people telling me what to do, so I don't want a personal trainer.
Running is out.
I used to like bike riding with my husband, but he doesn't go anymore.

As I get older, I'm getting stiff. That's what made me think Yoga. I think I need the stretching and the work to improve my balance. Maybe there's some other way to stretch.

I've always believed that exercise should be fun. If it's not fun, I won't do it.
I think that about covers it. Thanks for any suggestions.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat May 02, 2015 10:19 pm

Thanks for the info.

I don't think yoga is a good fit for you at all. Would the instructor be OK with you just showing up for the centering prayer?

If you like the prayer, just do the prayer. I have been doing centering prayer for about 6-7 years and love it, too. Whoever is teaching this class has put together an odd combination. Yoga is thousands of years old and is from India. Centering prayer comes from an old European Christian tradition called Lectio Divina. It's much "younger" than yoga and from a completely different tradition.

Since you like cardio equipment, I think what would be best is to do your stretches after you do cardio. This is for two reasons. First reason - cardio gives you endorphins which will make you feel a bit more open to the stretching. Also, the cadio warms up your muscles. The benefit of this is the stretching will hurt less when the muscles being stretched have been warmed up first.

Re: bending over. There's no reason that you should ever have to bend over in order to stretch. You can just skip any bending over things.

There's a book about stretching that I've been wanting to check out that I think might suit you. I'll check it out first and let you know about it.

Yoga addresses 3 things that are good for people as they get older -- strength, flexibility, and balance. All three prevent falls, which are one of the main dangers of getting older. However, those 3 things can be achieved in other ways. The first thing you are already addressing through cardio -- strength. Flexibility can be achieved through other stretches besides yoga. We can look at some specific yoga positions for you that you can do at home that will address balance and don't involve any bending over.

RE: Nautilis. It's true that strength training with weights is really important as we get older. How do you feel about working from books at home? I have a great Weights over 50 book that I use at home. You just use some light weights 3-5 lbs for hands and some rubber band-y things.

I think we can work this out together. We can put together a group of exercises specifically designed for you that you can do either at home after your cardio or at the gym after cardio. And as far as swimming goes, I have some great strength and stretching exercises you can do in the pool. We can do this!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed May 13, 2015 1:13 pm

Hi IS,

Thanks. I think the part I like best of what you wrote is that I don't have to do Yoga if I hate it. There are other ways to stretch. I honestly never thought of that. So I'm doing some stretches in the shower. I tried stretching after cardio. So far not great. I'll try it again.

My granddaughter had a birthday party with a bounce house strong enough for adults (like me) to play in. Sore for days after, but it was the greatest balance, cardio, strength and stretching ever. :D
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue May 19, 2015 5:50 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:
My granddaughter had a birthday party with a bounce house strong enough for adults (like me) to play in. Sore for days after, but it was the greatest balance, cardio, strength and stretching ever. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Challenges