EXERCISE MAY 2019

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

EXERCISE MAY 2019

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:47 pm

Hi Guys,

I need to exercise. Yeah, I know. Don't we all?!!! I just found out I'm pre-diabetic and I'm supposed to walk 30 minutes a day 5x per week. I know. It doesn't sound like much. But I haven't exercised in years so it's going to be hard to get started again.

To make it easy on myself, I'm starting with the goal of 30 minutes 2x per week. Just 2x per week. That should be doable.

What's your goal?

Remember, most people try to do too much, too soon, and end up quitting.

So, start small and build up to the big stuff!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: EXERCISE MAY 2019

Postby LalithaN » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:40 am

Hi InspireSuccess,
Here it is Apr 30 7.00 p.m
I have completed today's target 10 mins. I did warm-ups first.
1. Circling of hands in both directions - total 40
2. Front bend complete - 10
3. Back bend partial - 6
4. Waist twists -8
5. Holding in the belly for 1 minute
Then I dusted up my yoga practice
I tried
1. Thrikonasanam [triangle] - 6 times each side
JhanuShirshasanam [head on the knees]- 6 times each side.
10 minutes timer went off and I dutifully folded my blanket [though I considered doing some more]
I found out I haven't lost my flexibility entirely. I can keep my forehead on my knee and catch my heels with both hands.
Thank you again and again for starting the thread. I will try my best to report every day without fail.
As per your post, I assume you are planning a walk. All the Best.
Happy,
Lalitha.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:11 pm

LalithaN wrote: I tried

I found out I haven't lost my flexibility entirely. I can keep my forehead on my knee and catch my heels with both hands.

Wow! That makes me want to go do that, too. Good for you for getting started. I'm not up to a walk so I think I'll follow you and do some upper arm stuff and some yoga.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:54 pm

LalithaN wrote:[though I considered doing some more]

Isn't it good to hear yourself say, "I want to do more" instead of, "I should do more"? The opposite of what we're normally telling ourselves!

10 minutes goes by fast! I can't touch my head to knee but at least I can grasp my toes. It's a start.

My doctor said in addition to aerobics I should do some upper body work with weights. I got out my 2-1b weights and did a little arm work.

Thanks for getting me started. I was feeling a bit glum this morning and you got me moving.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:20 pm

Hi InspireSuccess,
Good Morning. Here it is May 1 6.30 A.M
Happy you are able to touch the toes. That is not an ordinary feat, because many slim youngsters too cannot do that.When I did that pose, I really complimented my hips and waist. I talk to my body often. It may seem ridiculous, but it works.Give a try.
Then how did you do that, standing or sitting? There are two separate postures.Practice what is comfortable to you. The condition is you shouldn't bend the knees, that's all.
I'm happy that I was your motivation yesterday. This is what I want. Mutual encouragement for achievement of goals from persons who are in the same frequency.Without your thread I'll just be procrastinating exercises.
Today I'm planning to do SuryaNamaskaram[Sun Salutation] as an exercise minus its spiritual aspects. It is an overall coverage for the whole body.I'll post how it went.
Bye.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby LalithaN » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:25 pm

Isn't it good to hear yourself say, "I want to do more" instead of, "I should do more"? The opposite of what we're normally telling ourselves!

Hi, we aren't that lazy. We actually want to do more. Just we have a starting problem. That's all.
Lalitha.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby LalithaN » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:45 pm

Hi Inspire,
Today I did SuryaNamaskaram[Sun Salutation]
Oh God! What I have become! In the past I can do it perfectly. Now only I am scraping. At one point in the 12 poses my injured foot started hurting.So I did that pose vaguely. Then only 3 or 4 came out perfect. Rest of them I did poor. My past performance can be counted HD, then today's is 320 pixel.
I did 4 in 10 mins, both legs as one count.Anyhow I'm happy I did. After some days, it will improve.
What are you doing today? Weights or walk?

Lalitha.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed May 01, 2019 4:04 pm

I tried to talk myself into walking and couldn't. So, I got out an old DVD that used to be fun. Hurt my ankle after 10 minutes and had to stop. I forgot to ask the doctor to check out my ankle so I'll have to go back to see her. In the meantime....

I did 10 minutes yoga (head to knee, head to knee standing, and downward dog)
10 minutes arm weights

Gosh, I'm in bad shape! One day at a time!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Thu May 02, 2019 7:01 am

Hi Inspire,
Sorry to hear that you hurt your ankle. Did you go to the doctor? What did she say?
Most of the ankle injuries need more rest than medicine[I have become a pro in ankle injury].
I, for my part today did warm ups as extended exercises. Actually thought of doing floor, lost the wind of it, settled to warm ups.
Eager to hear from you,
Lalitha.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu May 02, 2019 3:27 pm

Hi,

I did my walk! Yay! I know I wouldn't have done it if I didn't have your support here.

Both ankles hurt though. I'll make an appointment with the doctor. Maybe I have arthritis or something. We'll see.

I will rest my ankles tomorrow then try to walk Saturday. If I can do that I will have gotten my 2x per week walking done this week.

I know you have a daily goal. Do you have any weekly goal as well?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Thu May 02, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi,
Happy you finished your walk. But I can't understand what you meant by 'hurt my ankle'.Just a pain in ankles when muscles are extended by exercise, then it is okay. But if you had a fall or a sprain [which I wish you didn't get], it is dangerous to walk. I had a fall 11/2 months ago, still I'm not fully healed.
I'm not scaring you. I'm just writing this out of compassion for a friend.So pls don't mistake me.
For the plans, I go by daily. Everyday, I just act according to my whims and fancy. If you recommend a weekly plan, I'll give a try.
See you.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu May 02, 2019 9:25 pm

LalithaN wrote:If you recommend a weekly plan, I'll give a try.
See you.

I don't recommend it. Just asking!

I only have a weekly plan because of the doctor saying I have to get 5 days of aerobics. Which I'll build up to.

I didn't injure my ankle. It just didn't take to the aerobics side to side motion of the DVD. It did better when I was walking. My dad had arthritis, which is why I'd like to see the doctor. Just to check it out.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Fri May 03, 2019 12:53 am

Hi,
Happy for both of us you aren't injured. Have a check-up as quickly as possible.I am hopeful, you won't be having arthritis.
I am very much excited about having someone to post about daily activity. Otherwise, for one day I'll do one hour and next day I'll give up. I was just thinking, if you were injured you won't be showing up and I was highly disappointed. [Maybe selfish, but can't help saying it.]
You are there and I'm happy.
What do you suggest as a weekly plan? I'm not quite fit for walking. If I don't wear that flexo crepe for a day, my ankle reminds me it is there. Still, I don't climb steps and hasn't gone out since my accident. I can do what I can inside my house.
A set of exercises for three days and another for next four days?

Take care.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby LalithaN » Fri May 03, 2019 6:56 am

Today I did a different sort.
I just wanted to know how many namaskarams can I do in 10 mins. [Namaskaram is a form of salutation to the deity at the end of worship.Though nobody considers that as an exercise,it is an excellent one.Men prostrate and women kneel,place both palms on floor, bend forward and place their forehead on the floor.The gist is when you get up and stand]
So I did this today. At a point I blessed you that you made it only 10 mins. It took all my self control not to look at the timer. I made 65.Drenched in sweat, legs wobbly, but I :D .
Though repeating, thank you for starting this thread.
What about you? Today is not a walking day for you.So I assume, you would be doing weights.
See you.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby LalithaN » Fri May 03, 2019 6:57 pm

Hi,
Here it is May 4 Saturday 7.20 A.M.
Good Morning,
I didn't see your post yesterday. Are you well?
Today being holiday, it is going to be overtime for me. So I decided to do my quota in the morning itself.
Did
Butterfly, Head to knee, front roll ab [I don't know its name]and leg lift. Tried Lotus and failed[Even when I was young, I couldn't. That is a small solace].
Take care of your health and post . I'm concerned.
Well wishing,
Lalitha.
LalithaN
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges