EXERCISE JUNE 2019

Are you up to the challenge?

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Forum rules
Please start the monthly challenge threads here. All other off-topic threads will be removed.

EXERCISE JUNE 2019

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu May 30, 2019 8:41 pm

It's a new month and a new challenge. Anyone is welcome to join us. Share your fitness goals and we'll keep you motivated. The only "rule" is to agree to do 10 minutes per day of something!

Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: EXERCISE JUNE 2019

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri May 31, 2019 3:26 pm

I have new goals for this month.

1. I want to continue walking at least 2x per week and maybe occasionally trying for 3x per week if I'm up to it. Also the goal is to walk 30 minutes instead of 20 when possible.

2. I want to continue to work on upper arms with 10 minute combo of arm exercises and using 2 lb weights.

3. I want to try doing more up/down stairs walking.

4. By the end of this month I want to have gone to the YMCA once. This one I'll need help on, Lalitha, and I will let you know how you can help when I write again.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:59 am

WELCOME JUNE
Hi,
Today June 1 Saturday
I did 10 mins of cycling.
I did only 2 of my 4 small workouts. Let me see whether I can do 1 more before the end of the day.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:37 pm

Hi.

June 1.

added an extra 10 minutes of yoga practice focusing on balance poses and do more reps of standard positions. I wanted to walk but it's in the 90s and I didn't get up early enough to walk before the heat.

4 reps steps.

It cooled off in the evening so I did a 20 minute walk. very lovely breeze. nice for walking at end of the day.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:23 am

Hi
June 2 Sunday 7.50 p.m.
Did cycling for 10 mins and among the 4 workouts completed 3.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby LalithaN » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:33 am

Hi,
You are doing nicely. A walk, some workouts and climbing stairs. Sure it is a progress for a month.
Then about YMCA. You have been planning to join for a long time it seems you didn't. Could you think of any particular reason for that?
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:09 pm

For the YMCA I need to take Barbara Sher's system of breaking things down into the smallest steps possible.

1. Find work-out clothes buried in closet somewhere. (I might have to buy a top. That would be another step.)

2. Drive to YMCA to get used to the drive without having to go in.

3. Drive to YMCA, go in and say, "I'm new. I'd like to just look around to get familiar with the place without having to do a workout or a class."

4. Print out class list and figure out which ones I'd like to do.

5. Get my hearing aid assisted device working in case I need it for a class.

6. Drive to YMCA and go in and take a class or swim.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:24 pm

LalithaN wrote: ...the 4 workouts completed...

What do these workouts consist of?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:42 pm

Sunday June 2

I went for my walk this evening. I forgot to write down the time I left so I don't know how long it was. Probably 20 minutes because I walked the same distance. I definitely was walking faster than I was when I started a month ago. Without trying. I'm so glad you're helping me, Lalitha!
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:39 pm

inspiresuccess wrote:For the YMCA I need to take Barbara Sher's system of breaking things down into the smallest steps possible.

1. Find work-out clothes buried in closet somewhere. (I might have to buy a top. That would be another step.)

2. Drive to YMCA to get used to the drive without having to go in.

3. Drive to YMCA, go in and say, "I'm new. I'd like to just look around to get familiar with the place without having to do a workout or a class."

4. Print out class list and figure out which ones I'd like to do.

5. Get my hearing aid assisted device working in case I need it for a class.

6. Drive to YMCA and go in and take a class or swim.

Exactly that was what I was guessing about your reluctance to join YMCA. The same reason why I skipped my gym and finally stopped. I had to wear a work outfit, second finish household chores according to that time. It seemed a great task . Actually my son would drop me in the gym and after workout I'd walk back [25-30 mins]. The gym workout or the walkback didn't stop me but changing clothes and finishing chores put an end to the gym. Another guess I had was maybe there was an hour glass figure instructor or very young and stamina filled girls as work out partners.Sorry my fancy took its wings.

Okay. This is not a big problem and we can fix this reluctance easily. Cheers.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby LalithaN » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:36 pm

Hi,
How far is YMCA from your residence and how comfortable is your mode of transport?
Is YMCA expensive or is it a social welfare org. for free?
What are their sessions timings and would they be comfortable for you?
How many sessions for a week?
What type of people come there? [Would you feel at home with them?]
If you don't have answers for these questions, pls collect them. That is important in ensuring you would join and continue in YMCA.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby LalithaN » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:19 am

Hi,
You asked about my 4 heavy workouts.
1.a. stand - sit - stand _ 12 times I do this in the morning when waiting for the milk to boil, holding the work top with both hands.
b. side bends _ 30 times around the morning whenever possible.

2. Squats with hands holding the ears _ 50 times in the morning.[I don't know they could be called squats. More or less near. It's a form of obeisance to Lord Ganesh and we have a pact since long time.]

3. Namaskarams _ 25 times in the evening.

4. These all on the bed at night.
a. leg lift _ 10 times [90 degrees up both legs and go back to bed without bending the knee.]
b. leg sway _ 30 times [90 degrees up both legs, sway back and forth to 45 degrees]
c. leg rotate _ 10 times [90 degrees up both legs,bend the knees move in a circle bring them towards abdomen, and straighten them to 180 degrees and complete the circle by again bending the knees and up to 90 degrees again.]
d. heel scuttle _ 2 times Lie down, move both heels together to four steps on either sides.
Mostly I skip the night schedule. Have to bring it in discipline.

That's all.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby LalithaN » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:05 am

June 3 Monday
10 minutes cycling.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:09 pm

Lalitha, how is the cycling going? Is it getting easier? Are you enjoying it more? Do you have new goals beyond the 10 minutes that you'd like to set and be held accountable for? Are you already doing more than 10 minutes. How much? Were you cycling before we started this endeavor?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby LalithaN » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:55 pm

inspiresuccess wrote:Lalitha, how is the cycling going? Is it getting easier? Are you enjoying it more? Do you have new goals beyond the 10 minutes that you'd like to set and be held accountable for? Are you already doing more than 10 minutes. How much? Were you cycling before we started this endeavor?

Hi,
I am considering increasing the time of cycling. I don't enjoy cycling and haven't even increased the resistance. Why I do it then? It is a very good exercise for leg muscles and I have to shed off a ton of kilos from my ankles, calves and thighs. Second, you need not be mindful when cycling and you can read books and cycle mechanically. Third, I bought the cycle, but haven't been using it for a long time. Just putting it to use.

I'm already doing those 4 workouts a day, so for now I have no new plan. If I continue them regularly, it would be an achievement.

But after some time, I plan to do yoga again.
LalithaN
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges