Trump administration

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Trump administration

Postby jcjm » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:34 am

Surprised no one has anything to say about the current administration. Especially after all that was said about Bush.

Was it just Bush? Trump has made more controversy in 5 weeks than Bush did in 8 years.

Is there anybody out there?
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Trump administration

Postby Tituba » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:40 am

We are becoming emotionally worn down with the floodgates of pure evil coming from this regime. Accepting violation of our rights and outright treason, is terrifying. The only positive is that it has reawakened activism. He thinks he is king and does not know the power of the people.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:58 am

The main problem I have is that there is way too much to write about and so little time. There's also the issue of determining what are the "true facts." For example, while Trump seems to be making up "facts," the media and the democrats are putting a very negative spin on their "facts." For example, there's the firing of the US District Attorney for NY who refused to resign.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jcjm » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:07 am

Yes, where to start and how do I do it in 5 minutes. Can't be done, so I will just make a few general comments and start another thread on fake news, what is reported and what isn't.

In general a politician is going to tax and spend, its just a matter of who they tax and what they spend on. So, to me who and what isn't the issue.

In general there are going to be 2 extremes, those who want to tax the rich and give it to the poor and those who want to give tax cuts to the rich and say it will trickle down(although even HW Bush called that voo-doo economics). I'm for a third way, tickle up economics. Give tax breaks to the lower and middle end and let it trickle up to the rich.

A lot of raking the opposition over the coals has gone on starting with the Clinton impeachment process and it has just got worse with time. A lot of taxpayer money has gone to that, Bengazi, the Russians, wiretapping Trump, Anthony Weiner and his wife, etc. I'm tired of politicians using taxpayer money to settle a score with the opposing party or voting down legitimate legislation along party lines, for spite.

As far as Trump goes, he tweets too much, says things that he can't back up, and is surprised that politics isn't the same as business. You can't just tell people what to do and have them do it, you have to get the votes in Congress. Surprise, surprise.

The movie "Our brand is crisis" with Sandra Bullock and Billy Bob Thornton shows a lot of Trump strategy. You can literally pick parts out of the movie that parallel Trump, but why shouldn't it. Steve Mnutchin was listed in the credits. Check it out. Explains a lot of the tweets.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:10 pm

I agree with every word you wrote, except in the last paragraph only because I didn't see that movie.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jcjm » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Seems like people have more to say about the Press than President.

I saw a survey that came out recently, that said 80 something % (around 87 I think) of the coverage about Trump has nothing to do with policy or the office, its about the person and what he did, or what taxes he paid, or how he's connected to the Russians, etc.

He does say a lot of stuff that is red hot, but personally it seems he just rubs the press the wrong way because he won't bow to them to be interviewed or give press conferences. I think with current technology (twitter, etc.) the press is seeing itself become obsolete and Trump is just the first person to use the technology. So the press talks about him instead of issues, because he already went to the people via twitter about what he was going to do.

He's pretty much an open book if you keep up with twitter.
Last edited by jcjm on Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:16 am

I actually think it's hilarious that Trump completely bypasses the media. It's probably only the start, too. Who knows what technology will bring to make the network media even more obsolete. I mean, for me, it kind of already happened. I'm not on Twitter, but I see his tweets all the time on the internet (and they're shown on networks, too, because that's all they got).

Something interesting on policy I've heard, the reason why Trumpcare was dropped so easily in the end was because the Koch brothers promised huge political support for far right-wingers to vote against the bill, and then the next item on the agenda was the Keystone XL pipeline, which Trump signed approval for. So, billions in taxes would have been saved by repealing Obamacare for some billionaires, but not as many billions as the Kochs will now make in oil.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:38 pm

Yes, and the media are upset about the recent military action (or inaction) surrounding North Korea.

Trump had said, "We are sending an armada. Very powerful. We have submarines. Very powerful"
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 89961.html

In fact the deployment was headed elsewhere (to Australia).

Military deployments are a matter of national security. Why does the media think they are entitled to know what military actions the US has planned?
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jcjm » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:07 pm

Trump has got some things right, or at least got some things done, but the media only focuses on failures and what goes wrong.

He did get a Supreme Court Justice in, the start of repeal and replace Obamacare (which will probably happen sometime), a robust stock market, a show of force with Korea, Iran, and Syria. So he is getting some things done.

You may not agree if these are good or bad, but he is initiating change.

Unfortunately, both the right and the left tend to play down any accomplishments that they don't like.

Some people may think Trump is steaming forward in the wrong direction, but he is steaming forward. Instead of saying he isn't accomplishing anything the opposition should just say he is accomplishing something, but not the right thing.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:18 am

He is opposed by nearly all Democrats and the far right. I think it will be a difficult four years for him. Then again, the mid-term elections might shake up Congress enough that some meaningful work might get done.

I heard on NPR that his stance on immigration resulted in a reduction in immigrants even though his executive order was overruled.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jcjm » Sun May 14, 2017 3:25 pm

Surprised nothing on FBI director being fired.

Liberals hated him until Trump fired him. Hillary even said just one week before that she would have been President if he didn't make that last week announcement.

Strange how all of a sudden its about Russia. True Russia is the current thing, but nobody liked him, Republican or Democrat. Now all of a sudden the Dems like him?

Just strange how people can't remember what they said on video just one week before.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu May 18, 2017 8:00 pm

Yes, but the decision to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate the matter was applauded by both Democrats and Republicans.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Sat May 20, 2017 7:29 am

Democrats don't "like" him. We just know the real reason he was fired was because he was gathering evidence that could impeach the orange monster. There was an outcry when he was fired because it was thought the corrupt Republicans would then completely bury the truth. Very happy the truth is coming out anyways. If Hillary had done even one of the things he has, they'd be pounding on tables demanding impeachment. The reason they are protecting him is because he serves their dark agenda. However, when it looks like they are going down with the ship, just watch how many suddenly grow a pair and start talking about doing what is best for country again.

He did get a Supreme Court Justice in, the start of repeal and replace Obamacare (which will probably happen sometime), a robust stock market, a show of force with Korea, Iran, and Syria. So he is getting some things done.

Yeah, right. Republicans blocked a perfectly qualified candidate during the Obama admin out of spite. They want to repeal Obamacare without a compassionate plan in place. The stock market will, and is, adjusting. The show of force is not a sign of leader. It is a sign of an insecure, little man trying to bully his way into history. What he HAS done is repeal the law to not allow the mentally ill to buy guns, took away school lunches for the poor, wants to eliminate meals on wheels, crippled the EPA so now not only will our air and water become poisoned, but we won't be notified of the situation. He also wants to give away federal lands to business to exploit because "we have plenty of nature" - denies the science behind climate change thereby sealing our fate. He has also spent every weekend in Florida costing using millions. Not to mention how much it is costing us because his wife doesn't want to live with him. His collusion with Russia is treason and I do so hope he goes to prison or at his age, has a dramatic medical event. Yeah, I said it.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Sun May 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Yeah, right. Republicans blocked a perfectly qualified candidate during the Obama admin out of spite

That wasn't Trump who blocked it. I give him credit for getting it through.

We will see with the stock market, but it has been on a tear for over 5 years, so who is to say if Trump will cause it or it is just a cyclical pattern and time for a correction.

Healthcare is a matter of opinion. I know someone who is on disability and has Medicare but still has to pay the first $1,600 a month in deductibles because of the money they were making before they got sick. Someone else who isn't eligible for Obamacare because they don't make enough money. All during Obamacare. That doesn't seem like a compassionate plan to me.

As far as impeachment and the Comey memo, no one has even seen that memo, not even the reporter who did the story. The news media are like sharks in the water over a memo which was dictated to a reporter by an unnamed source. Whether your for or against Trump this is slanted journalism. Getting all excited about something that no one actually has seen? Really.

I think liberals will grasp at anything that could explain why Hillary the chosen one LOST.

The special prosecutor should help dispel the fact from fiction, but until then I'm not going to get excited about any of it.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun May 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Alot of liberals, me included, are OK with Hillary losing. The right wingers like to paint us as "sore losers" that is why we want Trump gone. That is the kind of excuse Trump uses everytime he is called on his behavior. Everytime the press confronts him with his own words, his own video statements, it is always the same. It is all because we "lost." What a load of crap and you know that. You just don't have a justification for Trump and you just don't want to admit you were tricked.

We SEE Trump for what he is and are stunned that anyone can defend him. We don't understand why it is OK to be a bigot, take away rights, suppress the media, take away agencies that protect us. Why is it now OK to tell the Russians classified information and then brag about it as his right? You all got so upset about Hillary's emails, yet this treason is OK? The hypocrisy is stunning.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Politics