2020 Election

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

2020 Election

Post by jcjm »

I'm just starting this in case anyone is interested.

Personally, I consider myself in the middle with both sides (right and left) thinking I'm not one of them. My Republican friends think I'm too liberal and my Democrat friends think I'm too conservative. So, I offend both groups for not being an extremist.

Right now I see Biden , Budajudge, and Klobachar as favorable. Bernie and Warren as Unfavorable. Everybody else including Trump in the middle, to be considered if none of the 5 listed are contenders.

But the election is a long way off right now.

One of my Republican friends asked if I thought Trump would get re-elected and I said not if the economy dumps and doesn't recover by August or if Iran or Korea cause a major incident (war?) Otherwise probably so. When asked, "what about the impeachment? My response was its not an issue and isn't going to be a factor.

It is interesting to see who the Democrat candidate will be and if Tulsi Gabbard or Bloomberg run as an independent.

SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: 2020 Election

Post by SquarePeg »

Yes, good to start, but too early to invest in much discourse.

It's Pete Buttigieg: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Buttigieg . His snippets sound great over the radio.

Also, Amy Klobuchar.

I was sorry to see Kamala Harris drop out. Then again, there are too many to keep track of.

And aren't there any Republicans (aside from Trump) in the race?

jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by jcjm »

Thanks for the spell check. I was just going by phonetic spelling and remember when Mayor Pete was unknown, saying its like 2 words Budu & Judge. I like Klobuchar but probably won't memorize how to spell her name unless she gets into the top 2.

I think 1 or 2 Republicans mentioned about a run or running as a third party, but not to the point that me or anyone else remembers who they are. Trump is like a vacuum, sucking the life out of anything other than himself. Anytime someone other than him is in the news, he tweets something stupid to get a headline on the news.

Tulsi Gabbard is in the news today for opposing Trump and the drone strike that killed an Iranian General. I think she is hedging her bets on a 3rd party run. I listen when she talks and don't believe Hillary's insinuation that she is a Russian plant. Even though she may go rogue and run as a 3rd party to upset the election.

****Too early to say, but if IOWA were today, my bets would be on
# 1) Mayor Pete
# 2) Bernie
# 3) Biden
with Warrren and Klobuchar almost tied for 4th

Which makes for a lot of people dropping out after New Hampshire, but Yang may make his way into the to 5 when 1 of the top 5 loses momentum.

jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by jcjm »

Down to 6 people on the last debate. Some have said the most interesting weren't there like Andrew Yang, Mike Bloomberg and Tulsi Gabbard. Have to agree they might have added a little interest to a rather boring debate.

SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by SquarePeg »

I don't think Bloomberg participated in a debate for this primary, did he? He entered the race quite late. I wonder if that was calculated because he's a weak debater.

alexg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by alexg »

jcjm, please contact patty@barbarasher.com about your email address. Mail is bouncing, and we don't want to deactivate an active use like you.

jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by jcjm »

I'm not sure what you mean mail is bouncing, I never get emails, but I emailed the administrator.

I know the board is going away in May, but as far as the 1st primary, what a mess. Its gone viral, "they can't run a primary how are they going to run healthcare?"

Democrats, please get something together so there is a alternative to Trump, that can win. Not just someone who makes the base feel good and then has no chance of winning.

Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Scenario Thinker »

I agree about the democrats, they are not doing a good job getting a candidate that can address the real issues MOST of the people in this country face, appeal to enough people, and can beat Trump.

We've wasted a colossal amount of time going through the impeachment trial. Political theatre is a term I hear a lot, but I'm sure that hasn't changed in many decades. Now, can we start addressing the issues? Probably not, because the establishment really doesn't want to, that's why democrats really don't care if they lose anyhow. Even if Trump keeps going, they still have their neoliberal system in place and not much will change.

Now you can see they are really pushing Pete, because he will support the neoliberal system. Bernie will not, but if he does end up winning, it will be an uphill battle to get anything done. Compared to what FD Roosevelt ended up doing, though, Bernie would be a little more conservative with his plan.

The major issues as I see it are:
#1 Health care and drug prices are rising much higher than inflation for most working people. I actually support public health, but even if not, they could cap prices somehow, but with the profit incentive, I don't know how. Public health could be paid in part by taking a little away from the immense pentagon spending we have.

#2 Huge debt in the country, jobs eroding, inequality increasing. And I'm not just talking about the government for the debt. Millions are buried in student loan, car and housing debt. Not that there will be another housing crisis, but millions are propped up on credit that has gotten worse over the last many years because of stagnating wages compared to the rising corporate profits. This whole thing could be wiped out with a stroke of a pen. Debt jubilees have happened for centuries. We tried bailing out the creditors in 2008. It didn't really work. More people still in debt and stagnated wages. Meanwhile executives, profits and stocks (a lot due to stock buybacks with that money) are enjoying record highs. Why not bail out the debtors this time?

#3 Military spending. This is a non-topic in the media and with most politicians, because it is seen as unpatriotic, and much of the media is supported by military manufacturers advertising. We spend over half of our discretionary budget on the military. This can't keep going forever, but I'm not sure what's going to stop it. Tulsi was the only candidate to address the endless wars we keep going in order to justify the spending. A surprising number of Americans that I see are duped into thinking it's a good thing ("to stop ISIS!").

#4 Fragile World Economy. From the off-mainstream sources I listen to, we are sitting on a house of cards as far as the economy goes. The USA dollar is the world's reserve currency and we keep propping the financial system up by printing more money. Banks keep getting this "free" money and feeding it into the stock market and buying back stocks, etc. If our economy tanks, or countries like China stop buying bonds, etc., to have US dollar assets, our position could crash. Also, China's economy does not intend to stop. Whether anyone likes their political and economic system or not, their economy is growing by leaps and bounds.

#5 Climate change. This topic was debated on this forum years ago. Nothing substantial really happened since then to combat it, meanwhile the evidence is starting to pile up on the devastation yet to come. I don't know if the free enterprise system can or will do anything about it. It will have to be a major government initiative.

I think that's it for my list. Of course, if we see #5 come to major fruition in our lives, all bets are off for the rest. Another recession with #4 would also put 1-3 into uncertainty.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>

SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by SquarePeg »

The Iowa "non-result" got me thinking that it might be better if we didn't release results of the first, say, five state "primaries" until right after Super Tuesday. A lot of what I heard leading up to the Iowa Caucus was that:

1. The winner historically went on to win the general election.
2. Electorate is primarily Caucasian and doesn't represent the country or the party demographically.

Given #1, we sometimes see candidates drop out when they get no delegates from Iowa. But if results are withheld, more candidates might stay in the race, and we might see more minority influence.

jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by jcjm »

Looks like its either Biden or Bernie against Trump but with all that's going on now, who knows.