Mitt Romney

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Mitt Romney

Postby Tituba » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:51 am

Those of us that had Mitt Romney as governor (or more accurately, absentee governor), know why not to vote for him for president. For the rest of you: http://www.boston.com/news/politics/pol ... ged_b.html If you ever saw Stephen King's "The Dead Zone" - Mitt Romney is the Martin Sheen character.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Shiral » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:17 pm

To be honest, ALL the Republican candidates have lost my vote, after that torture question at that one debate. Their answers were a lot of unthinking, macho posturing. The answer I would have prefered to hear from any presidential candidate is this: "I plan to repair our relations with our traditional allies and foster greater international cooperation in fighting terrorism. Torture is morally indefensible, the results are unreliable, and the use of torture is demolishing our reputation and standing in the world. Reliable intelligence is essential for fighting terrorism, so I plan to recruit and use the talents of Arabic and Farsi speaking Americans, whatever their sexual preference and put them to work accumulating and translating intelligence from whatever sources they can find. I plan to do all of this so small plots against the U.S. have less of a chance of becoming major and deadly attacks that lead to our being in a situation desperate enough to resort to torturing people for information of questionable worth. This hypothesis is based on a TV show, anyway. My administration will return to the values we SAY we believe in, and deal with the world as it really IS." It seems instead, they all intend to unthinkingly keep going down George BUsh's road to ruin without stopping to consider if there's a better, more realistic way to offer leadership to a country in desperate need of it. Forget it, fellahs. I want someone who will reverse the damage already done, not compound it. Melissa
Shiral
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Mitt Romney

Postby Tituba » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:15 am

Way to go NH! http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/23/ ... index.html How much do I hate Romney? Let's put it this way. If it were a choice between him and George Bush, I'd vote for Bush (and you know how much I hate him).
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:48 pm

I have to say i think that story about his dog is blown out of proportion. And i think there are better things to debate about as far as how fit he is to be president. I dont think his intent was to be cruel. I think he was just being a moron and thought the dog would be ok like that. It's really a moot point for me though since there are better reasons not to vote for him then this. Although being a moron is probably reason enough not to vote for him ... too bad so many people didn't realize this during the last two elections :lol:
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kevin_2050 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:22 am

A few months ago I saw a video of Romney giving a speech at Liberty University, Pat Robertson's academic fiefdom where aspiring fundamentalist lawyers train to theocratize the nation. That he chose to speak there is enough to condemn Romney in my eyes, but what he said was seriously scary: things like "Our children are swimming in an ocean of filth," and other phrases that would have suited Mussolini, or even Schickelgruber himself, were pouring out of his mouth. Anyone who votes for Romney is longing for for the Rapture, or for Blackwater to run the country, whichever is worse (I vote for the Rapture - I'd rather be Left Behind where there's a lot of cheap Bible-belt real estate). The only prominent Republican candidate in this electoral race whom I can stomach at all is Ron Paul, who seems like a decent guy (even though those libertarians are always trying to "solve" the problems of Social Security, which are imaginary, by handing it over to Wall Street for gambling chips). The rest of them are a complete horror show. Don't like most of the Dems either. Since Obama is the only one I would actually like to see become President, Hillary will probably win. My electoral choices seem to be an almost perfect inverse mirror image of those of most of my compatriots.
kevin_2050
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:11 am

Romney abandoned the people of Mass when he was governor. He spent more time traveling and campaigning then here dealing with issues. During his tenure, the Big Dig was finished and when a ceiling panel fell and crushed a car killing a woman, ran back here and made a big show of "I take care of everything." He made alot of pompous speeches, fired someone and then immediately took off again. He is an opportunist and panders to whoever he is in front of. http://www.boston.com/news/nation/artic ... iabortion/ I heard him say during a debate he'd "double Gitmo." He is a scary, ugly man who would do this country great harm.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby katchal » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:39 pm

When I heard that we had a candidate from Bain, I wanted to like him. Geez you'd think a guy with credentials and experience like that would have some good ideas about how to clean up the bloated, inefficient mess that the US government has become. A guy like that should have some good strategies for running things as the chief executive of our country. A guy like that should know how to get our economic house in order. A guy like that should have some plans to help us regain global competitiveness. But when you listen to him, there's no evidence that he ever was an elite management consultant or venture capital expert. All he seems to focus on is how being Mormon is almost just as good as being an evangelical Baptist. We need a president, not a pastor. It's like Romney went to Right Wing Bible Thumpers R Us finishing school and memorized a bunch of talking points to fit some Ralph Reed wannabe ideal of the perfect GOP candidate. He is so smarmy - and he's leading the polls significantly in Iowa! Best case: he's showing very poor judgment about what's truly important for the future leader of our country to focus on. Worst case: he's a disingenuous, lying pretender faking, posturing and pandering to the religious right. What are those people in Iowa smoking?
katchal
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Shiral » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:27 am

The Republican candidates, especially Romney and Huckabee, seem to me to be telling arguments for the intelligence of the whole policy of separating Church and State. They're not on a campaign trail; they appear to think they're on a religious pilgrimage. I miss the days when candidates discussed SECULAR stuff on the stump and saved their churchgoing for Sunday. I don't mind if candidates are practicing Christians, but I sure get tired of having their ostentatious, aggressive piety shoved in my face all the time. Next, Huckabee is going to be claiming he walked to Iowa up the Mississippi-- ON it. And I agree about Romney--what a complete panderer. Melissa
Shiral
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:59 pm

Yes! Romney lost NH! The bast**d is too stupid to drop out just yet.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jk » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:40 pm

The primary results (as well as Iowa caucus results) show that even republicans aren't fooled by Romney. I don't think we will have to worry about him too much longer. In the meantime, much of the money he is throwing about is personal - so let him waste it.
jk
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:45 am

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/artic ... d_to_side/ Romney would be the worst President ever....including the present one. He is a liar and an opportunist.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby AVATC » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:26 am

Tituba, I don't know why, but I just can't shake the feeling that you hate Mitt Romney! :) Actually, I didn't know anything about him until I read this post today. While I'm not thrilled with any of the candidates, you have convinced me that I would never vote for this guy.
Karen Commins
http://www.KarenCommins.com
My audiobooks on Audible.com: http://goo.gl/3A5Mu6
AVATC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby merk » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:49 am

Tituba wrote:http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/01/27/as_bain_slashed_jobs_romney_stayed_to_side/ Romney would be the worst President ever....including the present one. He is a liar and an opportunist.
I dont really see how this article proves he's a liar or opportunist. He was hired by bain to make them money and he apparently did his job well. As opposed to bush who seems to have pretty much been a screw up in any job he's ever had. At least romney appears to be competent and intelligent. Both of which would be an improvement over the current president. With that said, i wouldn't vote for him simply because he doesn't represent anything i'd support. not to mention i think the republican party has slipped way way way off what they are supposed to represent. if they cared more about the country then their own political party, they would have opposed president bush instead of supporting him as much as they have. And i'm not saying the democrats are any better. If there was a democratic president who did as bad as bush, i wouldn't be too surprised if the democrats behaved as badly. But this time around it was the republicans turn to screw up so it's should be their turn to burn and get kicked out of office for a while.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tituba » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:57 pm

Oh happy day! The ass*ole has left the race!
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:11 pm

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Politics