Palin

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Palin

Postby merk » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:37 pm

I decided to start a separate thread for palin since she really seems worthy of a discussion all her own. Or rather selecting her as the VP seems worthy of discussion. I dont agree with her political views. As a person she doesn't seem bad. But i certainly can't see her as potentially being president. I dont really understand why so many people seem to think she is the perfect choice. Until mccain announced her name (or unless you lived in alaska) i doubt anyone had even heard of her. Mccain claims he's not going to be doing business as usual. And then he goes and pick's a vp that's more of an extremist then a moderate which is only going to further push apart the country rather then bring it together. In other words, he'll be continuing what bush started. I heard one person, who is very pro republican, claim that palin was chosen weeks before. That this is all some brilliant strategy by mccain. That mccain picked her precisely because she could help him win the election. And another pro-republican person claims that palin is a decoy. That he picked her because of the obvious reasons she shouldn't be picked, so that the democrats and media would destroy her, and he in turn would have to drop her and then pick his real choice for VP and he would use his rightous anger at having the 'soccer mom' destroyed to drum up sympathy and get enough votes to win. Both people thought this was brilliant and he was a genius. That's what this is coming too? We're electing leaders who are the most adapt at either destroying soccer moms to garner sympathy votes or picking people not because they are qualified but because they will just attract votes. Would you elect a leader who picks someone that's a heartbeat away from being president just and solely because she would get him votes? I'm not saying i believe either of these scenarios. I just cant understand why people think that either of those scenarios are good. I can't understand why people didn't get upset at all the sneaking little tricks people did to try and get groups of people from one party to not vote. Does anyone care about anything beyond their own stupid party affiliations? To those people who support tactics like this, i say you are NOT american. You are NOT a patriot. You do NOT honor the troops. You are WORSE then the terrorist. At least the terrorists are honest and admit they want to kill you. People who support tactics like this arent thinking of the country first they are thinking of their own politics first. They are trying to destroy the one thing every one of our elected leaders has sworn to do - protect, defend and uphold the constitution of the united states of america. how have we sunk so low that people want to elect the man they think is best able to manipulate their emotions rather then being intelligent, well spoken and capable of defending their position and through reasonable debate, convincing you to vote for them? It seems clear to me that Mccain picking palin is an indication that the people in charge of the republican party clearly have not learned anything from Bush's presidency. They dont see anything wrong with what he did and they want to continue it. They want to pick people based on a popularity contest rather then picking someone who is qualified. It seems clear to me that the mccain i though i knew from a few years ago is dead. He sold out what honor he had to try and win the presidency. Mccain of past would not have used images of 9/11 for political gains. He would not have used his own military service like some cheap currency to try to buy votes. He would not have pandered to religious extremists. I'm sorry if this post rambled on a bit, but it really angers me because i think palin was picked COMPLETELY for political gain and no though at all to who would actually make a good vice president.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Palin

Postby yonuh » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:07 am

Amen to everything you said. I am sick of the 'swift boat' mentality where the candidate who can stir up the most dirt wins. Especially when the dirt isn't true but plays on fear. Look at what Rovian tactics did to Max Cleland! Here was a man who lost limbs in the service of his country but was tarred and feathered as unAmerican because he didn't bow down to Bush. Our country was founded on dissent and questioning. If the Founding Fathers had toed the line, we would still be part of England. Instead, they rebelled against what they saw as injustice. Those who question and dissent today are called traitors and unAmerican and are accused of aiding the enemy. Bush proclaimed himself the uniter; he turned out to be a divider in a big way. I, too, used to like McCain. How he can employ Karl Rove after how Rove smeared him in the 2000 campaign is beyond me. And Palin! Don't get me started on Palin. She says one thing but her record shows the opposite (just like McCain.) I don't understand how Obama and McCain can be so close in the polls - unless they're polling mostly Republicans. (I read that some polls are doing just that to pump up McCain's numbers!) Unbelievable!!! I am at least thankful that this time the mainstream media is doing its job better than in the last 2 elections. At least they are exposing McCain's lies in his campaign ads; Obama's, too. I am scared for our country.
yonuh
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:30 am

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MyPasswordIsInvalid » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:01 am

Thanks Tituba for for the SNL video link. Very funny.
MyPasswordIsInvalid
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:46 am

Unless Gallup calls more Republican phones than Democrat, I guess the country is still pretty well divided: http://www.gallup.com/poll/110353/Gallu ... ma-45.aspx
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby CharacterCompany » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:32 am

I am a conservative and I love Sarah Palin - and this is why. She is a conservative and is able to express conservative positions with clarity and conviction and enthusiasm. I like her because her combination of traits make her an awesome leader - one who is able to RALLY and INSPIRE people to conservative causes and to patriotism and to inspire us all to greater things than we had thought possible. She is a more likable, more well-rounded (and more practical) Martha Stewart! and there's more but I really should be working! (I'm self-employed and if I don't work, I don't eat) :)
CharacterCompany
New Poster
New Poster

Postby merk » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:31 am

I've heard this a lot about why people like sarah palin - but no one has really said why she would make a good president. I say president and not vice-president because there's a not insignificant chance that she could become president. If mccain should die, she would be president. Everyone basically says they like her - but this isn't a popularity contest. I think bush got elected in big part because he seemed like a regular guy that you could just sit down and have a beer with. And look where that got us. Palin may be a nice 'soccer mom' type of person. But i think she's woefully un-prepared to be president of the united states. let me ask you another question - why did mccain pick her and not some of the other choices he had for VP? Dont you think joe liberman would have been a better choice, especially for someone who likes to call himself the 'maverick' ? Liberman would have been a truly unifying choice since liberman is more of a moderate as opposed to palin who is more of an extremist. from what i have read, liberman was mccain's first choice. So why pick palin? I think he picked palin because he caved into pressure from his advisers and from his more extreme base. I think he picked palin because he thought she would get him the most votes - NOT because she was best qualified. And anyone who put someone a heart beat away from being president JUST to get votes - that's not someone who deserves to be a leader. Now if palin represents your views more so then liberman or anyone else does, then i can respect that even if i dont agree with your views. But regardless of what your views are - i think palin is not qualified to represent them as the president of the unites states. for god sake, the woman didn't even have an opinion on the iraq war up until recently. Just as a comparison - as govenor palin was responsible for 650,000 people - that's the population of alaska. Obama as senator was responsible for 11,000,000 people - thats close to 20x more people then the entire state of alaska. How is palin possibly qualified to hold this office?
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DJCNOR » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:51 am

I find it very interesting that the only pro-Palin post here is the very first post from the poster. Did they really think we wouldn't notice? Palin asked her local librarian if she would go along with censorship. The librarian said no. Palin brought it up before the local council. The librarian said she would fight against it to the limit of her ability. The librarian was fired. I don't know about anyone else, but that alone, in my eyes should disqualify her from any public office, never mind the Vice Presidency or the Presidency. Not only did she not stand up for what is right herself, she saw that the woman who did was fired! Another very significant thing in my eyes is her putting religious belief above scientific evidence. It is well known that she believes the world to be no more than 6000 years old. Given that, I can't help wondering how long she thinks it takes for vegetation to become oil. The answer is one heck of a lot longer than 6000 years. She also doubts that humans are at all responsible for global warming. And McCain called her an energy expert. How can anyone who rejects scientific knowledge be an expert on energy? They can't, plain and simple. Donna
DJCNOR
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby merk » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:56 am

DJCNOR wrote:I find it very interesting that the only pro-Palin post here is the very first post from the poster. Did they really think we wouldn't notice?
i noticed, but the user posted on topic and didn't make an unreasonable post so there's nothing wrong with it.
My Blog http://blog.imerk.com
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CharacterCompany » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:58 am

heyyyy, what is that supposed to mean..."do they think we wouldn't notice?" I honestly have no clue what you're getting at. Is this a private, democrat site/thread or something?
CharacterCompany
New Poster
New Poster

Postby merk » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:42 am

Its not uncommon for either party to have people who troll forums and just drop it to make some posting talking about how great their particular side/candidate is. I think that's what djcnor was implying - that you were one of those people. I would not allow someone to do that, no matter what political party they are affiliated with. Your post was on topic and didn't seem like it was trying to just pitch a commercial for palin so i have no problem with it.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CharacterCompany » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:53 am

thanks for the clarification. I'm new to this forum...well, mostly to all forums....and certainly new to making any political posts.(usually I'm begging for technical salvation in forums!) I must say, even if I WAS some political hack just doing the in and out 'commercial', I don't know what the problem should be in that. I haven't had much chance to read much in this site, but it certainly does seem quite slanted toward the left and could perhaps benefit from some diversity. I'll probably be back later...I can see how this could get real addicting! :)
CharacterCompany
New Poster
New Poster

Postby MyPasswordIsInvalid » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:16 pm

CharacterCompany wrote:I'll probably be back later...
We'll be waiting...
MyPasswordIsInvalid
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby merk » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:40 pm

CharacterCompany wrote:thanks for the clarification. I'm new to this forum...well, mostly to all forums....and certainly new to making any political posts.(usually I'm begging for technical salvation in forums!) I must say, even if I WAS some political hack just doing the in and out 'commercial', I don't know what the problem should be in that. I haven't had much chance to read much in this site, but it certainly does seem quite slanted toward the left and could perhaps benefit from some diversity.
It's inappropriate because it's dishonest to represent yourself as just an ordinary person when it fact you are working for the person you are talking about. It would be sort of like going to the doctor and having him tell you these new pills are great you should go order some and then finding out later the doctor worked for the company making the pills. not to mention it costs money to run this site and it's unfair for someone to come here and use it as their own billboard advertising their client. As long as you are just an individual and expressing your own views, that's fine. We welcome everyone as along as everyone plays nice. :)
My Blog http://blog.imerk.com
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby merk » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:25 pm

CharacterCompany wrote:am I imagining that responses to my posts have a tinge of SMIRK to them? Surely that can't be because we conservatives are supposed to be the intolerant, critical ones. (dj and pass)
No i think you'll find a lot of the people on this board smirk a lot :)
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Politics