Palin

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: Palin

Postby dani » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:26 pm

I've known a lot of beauty queen types, cheerleaders and the like. That may be why I'm not impressed with Palin's persona. The gals in her category whom I've known well were honest, ethical people who would never stoop to her tactics. Face it--Palin is out for Palin, period. Based on her record, I think she's aggressive, insensitive, and ignorant. I guess she finally earned a college degree, but that certainly didn't improve her narrow mind. How we get such idiotic people in office is beyond me, except that they are driven by need, have a lot of energy and are aggressive. Of course, it's also a matter of playing the game, and Palin does that extremely well. I hope the people get more control of the politics in this country. Practically every state has some type of secession movement--that's what we may come to. Sort of like the break up of the Soviet Union. :mrgreen:
dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:16 am

I think that McCain made this choice purely to add interest in his campaign. Where this is going to fall apart for him (or Obama) is if they don't come up with answers to this economic mess. Right now Palin is a distraction, but soon they will be in the debates and the American people what to know what they are going to do about jobs and rising prices. Don't talk to me in platitudes. Tell me facts. What are you going to DO about it?
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:09 pm

Tituba wrote:Don't talk to me in platitudes. Tell me facts. What are you going to DO about it?
You want facts? boy you are demanding arent you? :)
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tituba » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:10 pm

Yes, and I fix computers and I can make a cheesecake so good it'll make a grown man weak in the knees. I'm the full package :)
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Goldfish » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:06 am

testing testing testing
Last edited by Goldfish on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldfish
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby DJCNOR » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:01 am

Considering that CharacterCompany STILL hasn't posted anything at all except that bit of generic praise for Palin and defense of it, I think we were quite correct in our cynicism. Sometimes a smirk is in order. Donna
DJCNOR
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby CharacterCompany » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:53 am

ooh, not so fast there! I've just got a lot to do and writing posts on political issues -although fun - isn't productive enough to merit the time it takes. But I WOULD like to say a few things. about my comments being 'general', well, true I suppose but I like to keep things as succinct as possible. I said that I love Sarah Palin because she's conservative....Well that says a LOT right there and it sums up most of her appeal to me. The fact that she has a conservative value system/world view/ mental structure/ whatever, means that the particular issues and decisions and directions that she would take would be a fruit of that basic conservative root. I found a summary of conservative tenets that is much more eloquent than I could write: We conservatives are proud of our philosophy. We conservatives are unapologetic about our ideals. We are confident in our principles and energetic about openly advancing them. We believe in individual liberty, limited government, capitalism, the rule of law, faith, a color-blind society and national security. We support school choice, enterprise zones, tax cuts, welfare reform, faith-based initiatives, political speech, homeowner rights and the war on terrorism. And at our core we embrace and celebrate the most magnificent governing document ever ratified by any nation--the U.S. Constitution. Along with the Declaration of Independence, which recognizes our God-given natural right to be free, it is the foundation on which our government is built and has enabled us to flourish as a people. And I like her glasses. (hee hee :lol: )
CharacterCompany
New Poster
New Poster

Postby CharacterCompany » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:04 am

and one more thing, now that I'm on all your good sides :roll: you should check out my website because I do have a really interesting business...and that way you the thought that I'm some political operative will be put to rest as there is NO WAY I could have time to paint the amount of things that I do and also work in politics. The portfolio page contains MAYBE 10% of what my husband and I have made. (we make really unique menu boards, wall art and specialty signs for business---and it's much more interesting than it sounds) ADMINISTRATOR - LINK TAKEN OUT - NO ADVERTISING ALLOWED ON FORUM and to know ME a little more: http://www.myspace.com/charactercompany/ oops, sorry about the advertising! Someone below mentioned Bits and cookies...again, right over my head! I paint (primarily for the food/restaurant industry) and that's what I meant about painting a happy ice cream. (I have some pics of my stuff on myspace) But, yes I love baking, cooking, gardening, and all things domestic.
Last edited by CharacterCompany on Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharacterCompany
New Poster
New Poster

Postby DJCNOR » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:40 am

Hey, Character, No, using that word "conservative" doesn't say a lot. It's a very vague word that has been used to justify any number of contradictory positions. I challenge you to get specific about what you mean when you talk about Palin's conservatism. Is it her belief in "individual liberties", to quote you? Then why does she not mind forcing women to have babies they don't want and can't support decently? Why all the restrictions to free speech at all Republican events? Why the attempt at censorship of the local library? "Individual liberty?" For gays, too? Even in the military? For code Pink-ers? "Capitalism?" Maybe for us regular folks and our debts, but the government stands ready to bail out the rich guys. and was capitalism the reason for charging Alaskan women for their own rape tests? Some way to make money! Or maybe it was all the earmarks supporting Alaska on the taxes of the rest of us? And of course, never mind that the social democracies of Europe outrank the US in every measure of quality of life."The rule of law?" But torture's OK, right? I almost have to laugh, considering the lawlessness of the "Conservative" administration we've had for the last 7 years and the fact that they got in by stealing an election in the first place! Not to mention the way Palin handled her brother-in-law's firing. "Faith?" Even Jewish and Buddhist and Muslim faith?, "A color-blind society!?" Did you take a look at the Republican convention and how little diversity there was compared to the Democratic one? "National security?" Are we more secure with great standing armies and no good will, or the other way around? I could go on about each and every one of the others, but by the end, I'd be practically frothing. Not a word on healthcare. Not a word on how to deal with global warming. Not a word on educaiton except trying to convince kids that creationism and evolution have equally valid scientific bases, which is nonsense, and no education regarding how to handle sexuality. And wasn't it someone of Palin's party that declared the Constitution is "just a piece of paper"? donna
DJCNOR
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby CharacterCompany » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:53 am

whoa! this will take a while but thanks for the things to think about. I'll try to answer the challenges (for lack of better word) when I get some time. Right now I'm busy painting a very happy ice cream cone and this discussion will definitely cramp my flow. have a great day. I know liberal is a word used a lot and I would assume you are one. What are the 'tenets' of liberalism? (and no, this isn't meant to be a trick/trap/set up for an attack question.) I really am interested.
CharacterCompany
New Poster
New Poster

Postby merk » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:56 am

character - i can respect that palin reflects your own beliefs and thats why you support her. What my beef/complaint is how qualified is she? I'm sure she's not the only politician who reflects your views. Also, i would argue that mccain/palin don't really reflect what are supposed to be republican values. I don't see mccain doing things much differently from bush and bush as expanded the powers of the federal govt beyond anything they have been before. He's expanded the budget beyond anything it's been before. He's invaded a foreign country, in turn making iran more powerful and now there's a chance we'll invade iran. I can respect republican/conservative values. I myself lean more for libreal/democrat values. But i dont think democrats should have all the power all the time. I think we need a balance. However, what i dont respect is what appears to be blind support for a party simply because it's your party (i'm not aiming this at you speciifically, just the way politics have been going in general). To me, under bush, the republicans have strayed very far from their core values. All they have done is taken out hot button topics and used them to rile up people (religion in school, sex-ed, gay marriage ban) and then once they get the vote, they do whatever they want to increase their own power. I dont think/hope mccain will be as bad as bush - but i dont have much hope, especially since mccain is using a lot of the same advisors bush had. He's called the maverick but right now, he's not. He's caved into pressure and is just towing the party line now. Picking palin was more of that. Palin has basically ZERO foreign intelligence. She didn't even have an opinion on the iraq war until very recently. Now granted, as govenor of alaska she didn't really need to. But she's not running for govenor now, she's running for 2nd in command of the united states. Should someone in that position already have a broad world view? I'm sorry character, but i think you are being duped. I think they picked palin SPECIFICALLY to get people like you to vote, who are attracted to her core values, and they hoped you would ignore how ill-prepared she is for this. Palin is mccain's hot button topic right now trying to rile up his core base. He's hoping you'll ignore all the reasons why this is wrong and just focus on the things that resonate with you. I've heard many people say how they identify with palin as a soccer mom. About how they like her. but you are not voting for the person you'd most like to hang out with and have coffee. You are electing the team that's going to lead this country for the next 4 years. In sincerely hope that people who are voting for mccain/palin take a step back - take a very critical look at how things have been run for the last 8 years and realize it's very likely things will continue that way with mccain/palin. Does bush really represent traditional republican values? Will mccain/palin?
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:00 pm

CharacterCompany wrote:And I like her glasses. (hee hee :lol: )
She is kinda hot in a librarian fantasy sort of way. :)
DJCNOR wrote:... trying to convince kids that creationism and evolution have equally valid scientific bases, which is nonsense ...
Oyee, no kidding. I had one guy at work say that the dinosaur bones we find and carbon date them to be millions of years old were put there by God so we would find them and think they were old.
CharacterCompany wrote: ... Right now I'm busy painting a very happy ice cream cone and this discussion will definitely cramp my flow. have a great day.
Hmmmm, why does the word Bits come to mind right now? CC, do you bake cookies? :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Oyee, no kidding. I had one guy at work say that the dinosaur bones we find and carbon date them to be millions of years old were put there by God so we would find them and think they were old.
Amateur. He got that from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I believe it is Douglas' Adams third book of the series "Restaurant at the End of the Universe" where it is revealed the mice are running a program and the Earth is the computer.
put there by God so we would find them and think they were old.
God has better things to do.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:30 pm

Tituba wrote: Amateur. He got that from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I believe it is Douglas' Adams third book of the series "Restaurant at the End of the Universe" where it is revealed the mice are running a program and the Earth is the computer.
I don't know. This guy is Orthodox Jewish, so I think he just believes stuff like that.
Tituba wrote:God has better things to do.
That's what I say.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby athena » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:18 pm

The majority of Americans did NOT vote Bush into office. Unfortunately, votes are the primary determinant for winning any election. A candidate must get the majority of votes in order to win [unless bush is running]. Which means, that YES winning the most votes is the first step in becoming president - it would be nice if the majority of our fellow Americans were intelligent enough to appreciate those "subtle little differences" between candidates - but that just is not reality. Stop assuming that all other Americans are as with it as you, me , and the rest of us here on this forum. So, yeah McCain picked Palin over all the rest just to get the popular vote - but in the final analysis - that's exactly what counts on election day. If he picked anybody else - he very likely would lose the election. The Republican party has such a bad reputation right now - thanks to bush and the gang - that any other possible running mate would never get him the votes - which would make his entire campaign useless and a waste of time, energy, and money. Palin is guaranteed to get him those extra votes to get through the finnish line - just based on the fact that she is a "soccer mom" whom many people on both sides like enough to make that important difference. Remember, the stakes are much higher in this political race than a game of checkers. Are we truly willing to risk other American lives - just because we don't like their campaign strategies? There will be serious consequences to our actions after election day. Let's at least try to avoid the worst case scenario. How many American lives are we willing to risk for our high and mighty principles - which not every American agrees with? athena
athena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Politics