Palin

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: Palin

Postby GoCubbies » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:12 am

Rick and Laszlo sit and discuss Laszlo's dilemma. LASZLO You must know it's very important I get out of Casablanca. It's my privilege to be one of the leaders of a great movement. You know what I have been doing. You know what it means to the work, to the lives of thousands and thousands of people that I be free to reach America and continue my work. RICK I'm not interested in politics. The problems of the world are not in my department. I'm a saloon keeper. LASZLO My friends in the underground tell me that you have quite a record. You ran guns to Ethiopia. You fought against the fascists in Spain. RICK What of it? LASZLO Isn't it strange that you always happened to be fighting on the side of the underdog? RICK Yes. I found that a very expensive hobby, too. But then I never was much of a businessman. Here's wiki info about two terrorist attacks on U.S. during Clinton's watch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Center_bombing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cole_bombing "This document, based entirely on public sources, was prepared for background information and reference purposes. It is not intended to be a complete or comprehensive account of all terrorist incidents during these years, and it is not an official expression of U.S. policy. Please email questions or comments to History@State.gov." Office of the Historian Bureau of Public Affairs U.S. Department of State: March 2004 http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/pubs/fs/5902.htm
GoCubbies
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby An8el » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:58 pm

I was wondering about terrorism under Clinton... Hey - Thanks for that info. Here's a link where you can vote on whether you think Sara Palin is qualified to be VP: http://www.pbs.org/now/polls/poll-435.html It's running neck and neck - admits that it's not "scientific" and is heavily advertised in the Republican areas.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby An8el » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:47 am

It's not looking good for Palin in the "Troopergate" investigation: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081010/ap_on_el_pr/palin_troopergate By MATT APUZZO, Associated Press Writer 31 minutes ago ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Sworn to secrecy, Alaska lawmakers have begun reviewing a lengthy and politically sensitive investigative report focusing on whether Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin abused her authority as governor. The first-term Alaska governor has been accused of firing a state commissioner to settle a family dispute. But the report is also expected to touch on whether Palin's husband meddled in state affairs and whether her administration inappropriately accessed employee medical records. The inquiry, approved by a legislative committee's bipartisan vote, began before Republican presidential nominee John McCain named Palin his running mate. Since then, the case has been dogged by accusations of political influence. The investigation focuses on her firing of Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan. Monegan says Palin and her husband pressured him to fire Mike Wooten, a state trooper involved in a nasty divorce and custody dispute with the governor's sister. When Monegan resisted, he says, he was fired. Palin's critics say that shows she used her office to settle family affairs. "When you're the governor, you leave your household hat at home and you become governor," said state Senate President Lyda Green, a Republican who has frequently clashed with Palin. At their meeting Friday, lawmakers planned to vote to release the estimated 300-page report and some of the 1,000 or more pages of supporting documents. The 14-member legislative panel could recommend that the case be closed, that another committee continue to investigate, or that the matter be referred to criminal investigators. In an effort to head off the report, McCain campaign spokesman Taylor Griffin released the campaign's own version of events. That report, which Griffin said was written by campaign staffers, says the Legislature has taken a legitimate policy dispute between a governor and one of her commissioners, and portrayed it as something inappropriate. "The following document will prove Walt Monegan's dismissal was a result of his insubordination and budgetary clashes with Governor Palin and her administration," campaign officials wrote. "Trooper Wooten is a separate issue." Monegan had not seen the closely held report Thursday night and said he did not know what to expect. "I just hope that the truth is figured out," Monegan said in a telephone interview Thursday. "That the governor did want me to fire him, and I chose to not. You just can't walk up to someone and say, 'I fire you.' He didn't do anything under my watch to result in termination." The report is also expected to focus on Palin's husband, Todd, who had extraordinary access to the governor's office and her top aides. Todd acknowledges calling and meeting over the course of many months with numerous senior government officials about Wooten, whom he described as a dangerous and unstable man who had threatened his family. One of those meetings, Monegan said, occurred in the governor's office. Green said that raised questions of impropriety and that, ultimately, the governor is responsible. "He shouldn't be sitting in the governor's office and making phone calls if he's going to be pushing his agenda," she said. "Everything's on her." ... Palin's attorney, Thomas Van Flein, said he had not received a copy of the report. Over the past few days, Van Flein has released affidavits and other documents that Palin's husband and aides provided to investigators. That rankled some lawmakers but Van Flein said he wanted to make sure Branchflower's report didn't take anything out of context. "Whenever anyone writes their own report, they're filtering their data. And if you've already drawn your conclusion, you tend to filter it in a way to support that conclusion," he said. Palin's allies have accused the committee of having already drawn their conclusion. They cited comments by Democratic state Sen. Hollis French, who said the investigation could provide an "October surprise" for McCain.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby merk » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:21 am

An8el wrote:I was wondering about terrorism under Clinton... Hey - Thanks for that info. Here's a link where you can vote on whether you think Sara Palin is qualified to be VP: http://www.pbs.org/now/polls/poll-435.html It's running neck and neck - admits that it's not "scientific" and is heavily advertised in the Republican areas.
I dont know how true it is or not, but supposedly there was a big push by palin supporters to make that poll win in her favor. They were supposedly asking lots of people to vote and asking them to vote repeatedly.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tituba » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:33 pm

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby An8el » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:51 am

More news on Palin's issue with "Troopergate" from: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081011/ap_ ... roopergate Here's a copy of the article: By MATT APUZZO, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 51 minutes ago ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The politically charged investigation into Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is over, and its conclusions are stinging. But the fallout, if any, might not come until Election Day. A legislative investigator found that Palin violated state ethics laws and abused her power by trying to have her former brother-in-law fired as a state trooper. The next move may be at the ballot box. The legislative committee that released the report Friday recommends no criminal investigation and has no authority to sanction the governor, the Republican vice presidential nominee. "It is out of the Legislative Council's hands. It goes to anyone's hands who got a copy or clicks the link on the Web," said Democratic state Sen. Kim Elton, the chairman of the committee that released the report. "I can't tell you how the process ends." If voters believe the report's finding and it tarnishes Palin's reputation as a reformer and a champion for good government, that could hurt Republican presidential nominee John McCain in the final weeks of the race. The McCain campaign quickly rejected that notion. "I think the American people can tell the difference between the results of a politically motivated investigation and a legitimate finding of fact," campaign spokesman Taylor Griffin said. The inquiry looked into Palin's dismissal of Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan, who said he lost his job because he resisted pressure to fire a state trooper involved in a bitter divorce and custody battle with the governor's sister. Palin says Monegan was fired as part of a legitimate budget dispute. Stephen Branchflower, a retired prosecutor hired to conduct the investigation, said Monegan's firing was lawful. But the pressure Palin and her husband put on him, he said, was not. Under Alaska law, it is up to the state's Personnel Board, not the Legislature, to decide whether Palin violated the ethics laws. If so, it must refer the matter to the Senate president for disciplinary action. Violations also carry a possible fine of up to $5,000. By the time that investigation is over, however, the election will be over. If Palin is the vice president-elect, the results will hardly matter. If she loses, she'll have to address the board's findings at home. The national media will be long gone. Barack Obama's presidential campaign did not comment on the report amid persistent accusations by Republicans that rival operatives were manipulating the investigation to help the Democratic presidential nominee. Democratic Sen. Hollis French, who oversaw the investigation, contributed to that perception when he said the report could provide an "October surprise" for the McCain campaign. Elton said partisanship played no role in the report. "When we began investigating this, we had no idea that Sarah Palin would be a part of the national ticket," said Elton, an Obama supporter. Branchflower said Palin violated a statute of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act. Lawmakers don't have the authority to sanction her for such a violation and they gave no indication they would take any action against her. Palin has recently said that the Personnel Board inquiry is the only one that matters. And McCain's campaign echoed those comments Friday. "This is the opinion of this Legislative Council investigation," Griffin said. "It's just an opinion." The report notes a few instances in which Palin pressed the case against trooper Mike Wooten, but it was her husband, Todd, who led the charge. Todd Palin had extraordinary access to the governor's office and her closest advisers and he used that access to try to get Wooten fired. Gov. Palin knowingly "permitted Todd to use the Governor's office and the resources of the Governor's office, including access to state employees, to continue to contact subordinate state employees in an effort to find some way to get Trooper Wooten fired," Branchflower's report reads. Wooten had been in hot water before Palin became governor over allegations that he illegally shot a moose, drank beer in a patrol car and used a Taser on his stepson. The Palins said they feared for their family's safety after Wooten made threats against them. ___ Associated Press Writer Adam Goldman contributed to this report.
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:23 am

Another insightful article by Roger Ebert The candidate as rabble-rouser / / / By Roger Ebert Sarah Palin seems giddy with her newfound power as a rabble-rouser. She's using her charm to stir crowds of supporters toward hate. Have you been listening? What frightens me is that she is inciting to violence, which is a felony. Why do I say this? Because supporters have been videotaped at her rallies, screaming "kill him!" "traitor!" "off with his head!" and "terrorist!" At one rally, they started screaming at an African-American TV cameraman, using the n-word. The Secret Service is investigating some of these threats. Did Palin observe these crowd reactions? Read her body language. She uses the tiniest of smiles and briefest of pauses we all use when we want to signal, "I hear you but I'm pretending not to." She uses the same sound bites at every speech, and they get similar responses. Like demagogues before her, she draws energy from the mob. She doesn't care what she's saying. She can't stop herself. She loves the applause. Don't for a moment assume she would be allowed to use those words in every speech if John McCain hadn't signed off on them. What would a decent politician do? The same thing that all decent politicians of both parties have always done: Defuse the hate speech. Calm things down. Tell the wingnuts to chill out. When was the last time you heard a political nominee of either major party accused of treason? You'd have to go back to Joe McCarthy. McCarthy liked the phrase "card-carrying." Palin's husband, Todd, was a card-carrying member of the Alaskan Independence Party, which calls for Alaska to secede from the United States and seize control of its own oil and gas resources. Then who would defend those resources against Russia? The National Guard? You may have the vague impression that was a long time ago. In fact Palin taped a greeting to the party's convention this year, 2008. “Keep up the good work, and God bless you," she said, according to the New York Times, a source she respects. If you search for "Palin addresses AIP" on YouTube, you'll find 102 videos listed. Not surprisingly, all of them have been taken down. You can see the empty spaces for yourself. What did she say? Why doesn't she want us to know? We live in dangerous times. We are vulnerable to demagogues. In the 20th century, they flourished in periods of national economic collapse. They blamed their country's plight on outsiders. Palin routinely says of Obama, "this is not a man who sees America the way you and I see America." Who are you and I supposed to be? Ask the cameraman.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:56 am

merk wrote:
DJCNOR wrote:I find it very interesting that the only pro-Palin post here is the very first post from the poster. Did they really think we wouldn't notice?
i noticed, but the user posted on topic and didn't make an unreasonable post so there's nothing wrong with it.
Merk, Do you remember this post? This sounds like D... is doing the same thing she is infuriated anyone would do to her. So you see there is precident for asking motive for posting which was set by the very person who was offended. By the way, it looks like the new poster got run off by this. So if they were legit as you said, they left with a bad feeling for this group.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby DJCNOR » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:21 pm

Major difference. This poster posted only 8 total posts, all in three days, 7 of the 8 on one thread. The 8th was only a link. Not to mention that I accepted the moderator's decision and didn't go on about it. Donna
DJCNOR
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jcjm » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:42 pm

DJCNOR wrote:Major difference. This poster posted only 8 total posts, all in three days, 7 of the 8 on one thread. The 8th was only a link. Not to mention that I accepted the moderator's decision and didn't go on about it. Donna
Thanks, but my post was for Merk and didn't ask what the difference was, just do you remember this. Just another example of trying to switch the subject. (tactic #1 on the other thread)
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:35 pm

Okay, I'm listening. How did Donna switch the subject?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:40 pm

jcjm wrote:
DJCNOR wrote:Major difference. This poster posted only 8 total posts, all in three days, 7 of the 8 on one thread. The 8th was only a link. Not to mention that I accepted the moderator's decision and didn't go on about it. Donna
Thanks, but my post was for Merk and didn't ask what the difference was, just do you remember this. Just another example of trying to switch the subject. (tactic #1 on the other thread)
jcjm, when you say that you asked 'do you remember this,' instead of asking what the difference was, you're trying to explain that Donna was comparing and you weren't, am I correct? But what then was your purpose for saying that to Merk? Why would you want Merk to remember it? Wasn't it because you were comparing the two accusations? If so, that would be the same as asking what the difference was, no? I'm confused about the distinction you're making here.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:17 pm

Oyee, can we stop about the paid posters? :) None of us are paid political posters. If we were, why would we spend so much time on one forum? :) :) :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:33 pm

Well, if we were paid we'd be heading over to the right-wing sites, no? We'd bait and switch and have a whole lot of fun trying to change their minds or at least make them crazy. In fact, maybe we should do that. For free. Sounds like fun. But, since I haven't exactly disguised my politics, why would a paid operative on the Obama side waste his or her time here? We're sold. He had us at Yes, we can.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:31 am

Scenario Thinker wrote:Oyee, can we stop about the paid posters?
If there's a job as paid poster on these forums, I want it! Shall I send you my resumé Barbara?
BarbarSher wrote:Well, if we were paid we'd be heading over to the right-wing sites, no? We'd bait and switch and have a whole lot of fun trying to change their minds or at least make them crazy. In fact, maybe we should do that. For free. Sounds like fun.
It does sound like fun. Have you been doing it? I've noticed you've been a bit quiet around here recently. Which right-wing sites do you recommend?
BarbarSher wrote:We're sold. He had us at Yes, we can.
Yes, we can. exactly! I was a Hillary supporter until I saw a video clip of that speech. I still think she would make a good president, much better than the one you have now anyway. And I think Bill was a good president in spite of his weaknesses. But Barack has an inspiring vision of a better world for everyone, and that has been lacking in US politics for a long time. He also has a really warm, genuine smile, which I think is a sign of a good person, and look at the joy in the eyes of those little black kids when they're with him! He'll be such a wonderful role model for dark-skinned people everywhere. How will anyone be able to say they are inferior when the US president is the same colour. I think his experience and understanding of different cultures will be a tremendous asset to the whole world. Maybe more important than any amount of political experience. And I'm sure he's intelligent enough to know that he doesn't know everything. He'll surround himself with good advisers and researchers, and he'll really listen to them. Not like the present Republican leadership, who only listen to what suits their preconceived opinions.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Politics