Palin

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Palin

Postby jcjm » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:26 am

In response to Barbara's question, I am saying the phrase" whats good for the goose is good for the gander" applies. How can you be offended and critcize someone for asking you if you are being paid to spin when you implied the same thing to someone else weeks before? Is there a double standard for liberals and conservatives? Conservatives are asked if they are spinners just because they are pro-Palin and liberals get a pass at everything just because they are liberal?
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:54 am

Okay, jcjm. I just needed to know. Conversation over. This isn't a fair fight.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:01 pm

Sarah Palin wrote:"This is Barack Obama's time right now, and this is an historic moment in our nation and this can be a shining moment for America and our history, and look what we're talking about. Again, we're talking about my shoes and belts and skirts. It's ridiculous."
Poor thing, all she wanted was:
Sarah Palin wrote:"I never asked for anything more than maybe a Diet Dr Pepper once in a while."
:) http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081108/ap_on_el_pr/palin
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:23 pm

www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MyPasswordIsInvalid » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:05 am

MyPasswordIsInvalid
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby skannie » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:00 pm

MyPasswordIsInvalid wrote:Your deep link: http://news.yahoo.com/comics/uclickcomi ... db20081108
Thanks! I was going to say "What's a deep link?" but I think I've answered that question for myself. The link I gave is the one to whatever today's cartoon is, which yesterday was about Palin, but of course is a different one now. Whereas the one you gave is the permanent link to that specific cartoon.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:51 pm

Despite all the bad press, she looks pretty good compared with Blagoyavich. At least she didn't try to sell the vacated senate seat.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:00 pm

That's sort of comparing apples to sand. one has nothing to do with the other.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:12 pm

Right, jcjm. She only instigated a lot of assassination threats against Obama, 'borrowed' almost $200,000 in clothes for herself and her family, and lied to the most dim-witted of the American voters. Bush & Cheney, Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, Perle, etc., on the other hand, caused the death of hundreds of thousands of innocent people, completed the biggest transfer of wealth from the middle class to the rich in history, allowed millions of people's retirement funds to be stolen, completed the destruction of the American economy and allowed the sale of toxic assets to banks all over the world, and completed the sale of America to China. Palin didn't do that. She wouldn't have done a thing like that unless she had been elected and McCain's age or cancer killed him. So, she's not so bad, I guess. If the gov. of IL goes to jail, however, he's going to be surrounded by a whole lot of Republicans. (and there are a whole bunch, like Scooter Libby who should be there) and I don't think he'll like that. But he looks like a jerk, and maybe even a nut, so who cares?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:13 pm

Another thing, somewhat off the subject: How come Democrats are always being caught in sex-scandals with consenting adults of the opposite sex, while Republicans are always being caught in sex-scandals with children or gay prostitutes? I find that very curious.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:20 pm

BarbaraSher wrote:Another thing, somewhat off the subject: How come Democrats are always being caught in sex-scandals with consenting adults of the opposite sex, while Republicans are always being caught in sex-scandals with children or gay prostitutes? I find that very curious.
because children and gay prostitutes have very poor taste? :lol: :oops: (sorry i couldn't resist)
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:42 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:44 pm

BarbaraSher wrote:Another thing, somewhat off the subject: How come Democrats are always being caught in sex-scandals with consenting adults of the opposite sex, while Republicans are always being caught in sex-scandals with children or gay prostitutes? I find that very curious.
For a slightly more serious answer than Merk's :D I think many of those real right-wingers come from very repressed and rigid upbringings, and can't possibly allow themselves to be openly gay, and some of them aren't even capable of having a proper relationship with an adult, so they turn to children. It's easy to have power over a child. I think it's often more about that than the sex. Right-wingers seem to be more concerned about power. It's also the case that the people who shout loudest about sexual morality are often the biggest hypocrites. They think if they shout loud enough about other people's sins it will disguise the murky stuff they are doing themselves.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:16 pm

Interesting. Yes, the word 'hypocrite' rings a bell. I've often thought that right-wingers lack the empathy chip. They don't know what liberals are talking about when they mention feelings, so they protect themselves by not believing it's real and/or make fun of it (bleeding hearts, tree huggers, soft-headed,etc.). Still looking for a sincere, well-informed right-winger. Still haven't found even one. But I have found a few sincere and kindly right-wingers. On asking how they became part of the rigid/unfeeling/authoritarian party it always turns out that they were born into it. The only lefties I know of who ever became righties should have been righties in the first place: they were ideologues without feelings, too passionate about rules and not passionate enough about the hour to hour, daily experience of people who are in trouble. I'm reading The Carpet Wars at breakfast these days, a close up by a journalist who traveled through Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iraq and wrote about it around 7 years after Desert Storm. He looked up friends, many of whom were carpet dealers, and told, close up and personal, about how their lives had changed. You can't read that and just call for a war because it will keep you in office, or fill the pockets of Cheney's company. I guess some righties are too scared to have feelings, and others never had them in the first place. What's that word, sociopaths? Too strong? Any intelligent defense for the right wing?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:52 am

BarbaraSher wrote:I've often thought that right-wingers lack the empathy chip. They don't know what liberals are talking about when they mention feelings, so they protect themselves by not believing it's real and/or make fun of it (bleeding hearts, tree huggers, soft-headed,etc.). Still looking for a sincere, well-informed right-winger. Still haven't found even one. But I have found a few sincere and kindly right-wingers. On asking how they became part of the rigid/unfeeling/authoritarian party it always turns out that they were born into it. The only lefties I know of who ever became righties should have been righties in the first place: they were ideologues without feelings, too passionate about rules and not passionate enough about the hour to hour, daily experience of people who are in trouble.
I agree with you about their attitude to rules and authoritarianism, but I'm not sure if it's just a right-wing/left-wing thing, although it might look that way in the US political system. Most of the communist governments in central Europe were also very rigid and authoritarian. But I must say they didn’t get everything wrong. They created excellent public transport and health and education systems, and everyone had a job. They at least cared about equality and the welfare of ordinary people in theory, even if it didn’t always work out in practice.
BarbaraSher wrote:I'm reading The Carpet Wars at breakfast these days, a close up by a journalist who traveled through Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iraq and wrote about it around 7 years after Desert Storm.
I had a quick read of the beginning of it on Amazon. Looks like a fascinating book. I must keep an eye out for it when I'm in England. I'll probably be doing plenty of reading then because I'll be off-line most of the time. Here's the link in case anyone else wants to see it. http://www.amazon.com/Carpet-Wars-Baghd ... 0060097329
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Politics