Obama

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Obama

Postby Tituba » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:39 pm

So glad the worst president ever and his evil side-kick are gone! Yes! Obama speech was everything you could want in a leader with vision.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Obama

Postby merk » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:40 pm

i feel sorry for the daily show - i think it's going to be harder for them to come up with material now :)
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jcjm » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:23 pm

While Bush may have the lowest approval rating, I think Nixon left with a worse reputation. History may be kinder to Bush 43 as it has been to Lyndon Johnson, but I don't think any amount of time will change what people think of Nixon. Even his own party didn't like him.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:20 pm

i agree. Bush is more personable. I think that's a big reason why he got re-elected. As i said several times - bush seems like the type of guy you could sit down and have a beer with. Kerry (in the 2004 election) did not give that impression. Unfortunately for us, the guy that you sit down and have a beer with isn't always the best qualified to run your business.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:12 am

merk wrote:Bush is more personable. I think that's a big reason why he got re-elected.
Or, more precisely, the reason why the vote was SO close.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:59 am

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:37 pm

This is a definate milestone in US history with President Obama being the first African American President. However, I think the news media is trying to use that milestone as a springboard, trying to equate his election with total backing of the democratic party and its ideas. According to Wikipedia Obama claimed only a little more than 2% more of the vote in 2008 than Bush did in 2004. In 2008 Obama had 52.9% of the votes In 2004 Bush had 50.7% of the votes Thats only a 2.2% difference and 52.9% is hardly a landslide. I wish the President well and am disgusted with people like Rush Limbaugh, trying to knock him down before he even starts, but I am also disgusted with people like Oprah and other celebs who are trying to use the milestone of the first African American President as a way to falsely imply that everyone voted for him and want what he wants. Right now its hard to watch or listen to anything because people are so biased on one side or the other.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:13 pm

there's your first mistake jcjm - you are listening to the media :) I haven't listened to any news other then npr in a while. Although I did decide to tape the daily show last night to see what new material they have now :) I personally dont have the impression that the democratic party has full support. Its also interesting you made this comment since it reminds me of what bush said - that he had a political mandate even though in his case he actually lost the popular vote. At least in this case it's only the media that's delusional and not the person in office ;)
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tituba » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:00 pm

Remember how they labeled Kennedy's administration as "Camelot?" I saw a newspaper headline today naming this administration as "Obamalot" It is interesting to note how our society likes to place people on pedestals so we can knock them down when they prove to be mortal. Obama, like most presidents, will rule as a moderate. The scare tactics used during the election tried to paint him as some wild-eyed, crazy liberal. He was not and is not.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:50 am

merk wrote:there's your first mistake jcjm - you are listening to the media :) I haven't listened to any news other then npr in a while. Although I did decide to tape the daily show last night to see what new material they have now :) I personally dont have the impression that the democratic party has full support. Its also interesting you made this comment since it reminds me of what bush said - that he had a political mandate even though in his case he actually lost the popular vote. At least in this case it's only the media that's delusional and not the person in office ;)
I wouldn't consider either Oprah or Rush the media, but entertainment. That is why I am really irritated. You tune into things for entertainment to see clips of the event and spectacle only to get commentary that not only doesn't fit the pictures, but in many cases is false. I tuned into Rush and Oprah both because I thought they would have sound bites with opposite views, but they both take the sound bites out of context. Rush nit picks every word that is questionable and tries to make a mountain out of a mole hill and Oprah makes it sound like everyone in the country voted for him and that is the end of racism. There are still a lot of racists out there (he supposedly had 45 death threats on inaguration day)and there are still a lot of big business types who can't wait for him to fail. I would like to think this is the end of racism and that everyone would give him a chance, but I can already see the two camps forming and its only the 3rd day.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:59 am

it's not the end of racism. But it is an indicator that we've come a long way in getting past racism. I'd rather listen to oprah being overly optimistic then that negative windbag rush.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tituba » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:22 am

I'm loving the steps he has taken so far http://www.boston.com/news/politics/pol ... ign_p.html
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:10 am

Tituba wrote:I'm loving the steps he has taken so far http://www.boston.com/news/politics/pol ... ign_p.html
Fortunately, our company is absolutely adamant about equal pay for either sex for the same job.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:37 pm

Here's an important question about policy that Obama hasn't answered yet. http://short.ie/sdtyvx
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:46 pm

While I haven't seen the catastropic changes that the conservatives said will happen, I haven't seen the change that the liberals said will happen either. Close Gitmo, maybe in a year. Get out of Irac, maybe in 18-24 months. Turn the economy around, maybe in 2 to 4 years. This isn't much of a change and sounds more like more of the same than it does change.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Politics