Obama

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Obama

Postby Scenario Thinker » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:00 am

jcjm wrote:So jobs and the economy are 2 different things.

Just to be clear, jobs are part of the economy (i.e. the labor force).
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:53 am

jcjm wrote:Thanks, Merk. Right now jobs are the economy. People may have taken a hit on their house or 401K, but housing starts, GDP, etc. don't mean much to the average Joe. What does matter to them, is having a good paying job.

The biggest connection to Wall Street that people have is their job, not economic indicators, and we have already seen that you can have a jobless recovery.

So jobs and the economy are 2 different things.

You're sort of contradicting yourself there. You said jobs are the economy, and then said jobs and the economy are two different things.

So, which is it?

Scenario: (jcjm can correct me if i am wrong) from previous posts, i think jcjm's complaint is that unemployment is too high, irregardless of what the economy as a whole is doing. I'm not saying I agree with that - just trying to keep the conversation focused. jcjm doesn't seem to care what the over-all economy is doing if unemployment is high.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jcjm » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:40 am

You're sort of contradicting yourself there. You said jobs are the economy, and then said jobs and the economy are two different things.

So, which is it?

I think you guys are smart enough to know what I mean, but for clarification.

JOBS ARE THE ECONOMY
Jobs are the most important part of the economy to most people

JOBS AND THE ECONOMY ARE DIFFERENT THINGS
While economic indicators are up, jobs are not. Thus a jobless recovery is no recovery at all in many peoples mind.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:48 pm

Well, the employment rate IS an (lagging) economic indicator, so yes, it is (a major) part of the economy. It relates to most people that it's the "entire" economy, because most people have a job or are looking for one, and they don't deal with international trade, et. al.. Some economic indicators are up, the unemployment rate is not, and is lagging more than typical, and is considered a jobless recovery because of how slow it is responding.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:01 am

Bottom line,Obama hasn't done anything to turn the jobs or oil spill situation around. Or anythign else.

As I said before, the guy never came out of campaign mode. He still thinks its all about talk. He says it so its so.

After saying what he is going to do for over 3 years and doing none of it, I have to conclude the guy is incompetent and doesn't deserve a second term. Or even the first.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby DJCNOR » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:09 pm

Actually Obama has done everything he possibly can about both those problems. But if you think he hasn't, I would think you'd be happy because the Fed government isn't involving itself in things it shouldn't.
DJCNOR
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:14 am

Hey, Obama's out to kick some ass ... you can't beat that!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl2451
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:58 pm

I'm for regulation but not govt running industries.

You can regulate the banks without bailing them out and becoming the majority stockholder and telling them how to run the banking business. The same goes for the auto industry and oil. One is regulation the other is facism (govt owning businesses).

I heard recently that BP was one of the biggest lobbiest for cap and trade, which seemed stupid. But after checking it out, it turned out to have legs. Why BP wanted it so they could dictate what the law would be and then pass the cost on to the consumer.

As far as jobs, heres my prediction. Obama hasn't been able to do anything to decrease the unemployment rate, so he will cut back on the stimulus spending for extended unemployment (which has already started this week).

This will make the rate go down because people are being kicked off unemployment when they still don't have a job, just in time for the November elections. Lets hope those probing reporters are smart enough to find the actual rate and not just go with the unemployment claims info.

As far as I'm concerned he does not have the experience needed for the job in good times, let alone now. Hes a nice guy, good politician, and poor leader. Like Jimmy Carter. a nice guy who didn't get re-elected because he didn't have the experience needed for the job.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:02 am

Surprised no one wanted to sing the praises of the Obama speach last night.

I guess when you have the likes of such liberals as James Carvill, Keith Olberman, and Chris Mathews cutting down Obama for his lack of leadership, its hard to sing praises with any sincerity.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:52 pm

Bottom line,Obama hasn't done anything to turn the jobs or oil spill situation around. Or anythign else.

Sigh, really jcjm? He's done NOTHING......don't you get tired making such unfounded statements? You know we'll supply you with evidence he HAS done alot. But, you only care about jobs and for you that is everything.

As for the speech. It was a good speech, he's a good speech maker. I don't have a problem with his response to the oil spill thus far, though I do think he should have made the speech on day one on the spill. The government is not in the oil business, so what exactly do you want him to do to stop the leak? All he can do is get people on the project who know about such things. From all evidence, that is what he has done.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:16 am

He's an inexperienced talker and not a doer, who doesn't take responsibility for anything big.

Blame the war and GITMO on Bush. Blame the BP fiasco on BP and try to keep out of it and say its their problem and thus prevent the full power of the US govt from being put into action. Act as if double digit unemployment is no big thing.

These are the things bombarding us in the news every day and his reaction is the same to them all. Blame it on someone else and stay as far away from getting involved as possible.

The oval office speach and BP meeting is just the latest fiasco.

Get BP to agree to something they already said they were going to do, and do nothing to make things actually happen.
BP can put money into a fund for clean up and compensation, until someone shuts off the oil leak, its just words.

Obama has a pattern of talking and thinking that is the same as doing. At some point he has to own anything that comes across his desk and do something about it.

With the turning of people like Carvile, Olberman and Mathews against him on this BP thing, it is just a matter of time until he has to take ownership of things and do something, or face his own party turning against him.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:57 am

BP, McCrystal, Afganistan, the Supreme Court nomination and more are all in the news.

Surprised no one has anything to say on how these are going.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:03 pm

hey jcjm - tell me what you want me to say and i'll say it just to get you to give up on this already - it's just getting annoying. If it'll make you happy for us to bash on obama, i'll bash away.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:31 am

Obama sucks .... BP sucks .... Afganistan sucks ... Kagan sucks .... :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:21 pm

We have all the problems we did under Bush plus 10% unemployment and a huge oil leak in the Gulf.

It seems to me if all those things were so bad under Bush, they would be just as bad under Obama.

Yet no one is complaining now or even commenting, but when Bush was in office, people were compaining on a daily basis.

Did everyone suddenly loose interest in politics or did they just want to bash Republicans and now that they have the power, they want to turn a blind eye to what is going on?
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Politics