Stupid or evil?

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Stupid or evil?

Postby katchal » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:55 am

Are these people in Congress simply stupid and completely oblivious to the ramifications of their decisions or do they fully understand how many people, companies and industries they are destroying, but are so evil and intent on serving special interests that they just don't care?

As I watch Christopher Dodd destroy the early stage tech industry this week, I am at a complete loss to understand why the other members of the Senate are happily going along with his evisceration of my industry. Didn't they learn anything when they happily passed the moronic 30% yacht luxury tax that nearly killed the small boat building industry under Bush Sr.?

Are these people just stupid or really evil? (I'm not sure which is more disturbing.)
katchal
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Stupid or evil?

Postby jcjm » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:31 am

As I once told a business associate, it doesn't matter if you are stupid or doing this on pupose, the result is the same, I'm getting screwed. I then proceded to stop doing business with him.

Unfortunately you can't do this with govt officials, but you can vote them out. That is provided you find someone better to vote in.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:48 am

I wonder if a scanner has ever held public office?
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:48 am

I live by the mantra, "the best 2 days in a boater's life of ownership are the day they buy the boat and the day they sell it". I guess I don't care what happens to people with yachts.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unique Journalist » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:18 pm

As far as I can see, they've gotten insulated in Washington. Sort of like an ingrown family.

It's another world up there in Congress, one far removed from our world, and a lot of them stay long past their expiration date. They make a career out of Washington instead of serving their country for a SHORT season and then moving on to civilian life again. I think after a while they lose perspective.

There's a quote that goes along the lines of what I'm saying and states my points better:

"Politicians are like diapers. Both need changing regularly and for the same reason."--Anon
Unique Journalist
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby GoCubbies » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:12 pm

"Same as it ever was..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDWtLTwQ ... re=related

Talking Heads Once In A Lifetime
Songwriters: Eno, Brian;Harrison, Jerry;Byrne, David;Weymouth, Tina;Frantz, Chris

You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?
Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by, water flowing underground
Into the blue again after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground
You may ask yourself, how do I work this?
You may ask yourself, where is that large automobile?
You may tell yourself, this is not my beautiful house
You may tell yourself, this is not my beautiful wife
Into the blue again, after the money's gone
Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was
Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was

Water dissolving and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Remove the water, carry the water
Remove the water from the bottom of the ocean
Into the blue again, into silent water
Under the rocks and stones, there is water underground
Letting the days go by, into silent water
You may ask yourself, what is that beautiful house?
You may ask yourself, where does that highway lead to?
You may ask yourself, am I right, am I wrong?
You may say to yourself, my god, what have I done?
Into the blue again, into silent water
Under the rocks and stones, there is water underground
Letting the days go by, into silent water

Time isn't holding us, time isn't after us
Time isn't holding us, time doesn't hold you back
Time isn't holding us, time isn't after us
Time isn't holding us...
Letting the days go by, letting the days go by, letting the days go by, once in a lifetime (?)
Letting the days go by, letting the days go by, letting the days go by, once in a lifetime
GoCubbies
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby jcjm » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:10 pm

Isn't Dodd an old friend of Teddy Kennedy? Didn't they use to go out and hit the bars together when they were young and wild?

I would think he would have a more favorable opinion on this in view of his past associations?
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unique Journalist » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:31 pm

Here's something to think about...

Lehman Brothers was allowed to fail, while Goldman Sachs got some of the TARP money.

Henry Paulson once headed Goldman Sachs.

Coincidence? don't think so.

I'm beginning to wonder if Congress is really cares about rescuing/protecting the economy...or their own investments and special interests? (This question cuts across political lines--I think both parties are equally guilty here.)
Unique Journalist
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jcjm » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:21 am

I think Lehman was timing more than anything.

They thought they could stop bailing things out and found out the turmoil it would create, when they didn't bailout Lehman.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:34 am

This sort of reminds me of the coincidences with haliburton getting so much no-bid contract work in iraq and cheney having been the former VP or whatever his position was there.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby katchal » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:49 am

Scenario Thinker wrote: I guess I don't care what happens to people with yachts.

Yeah, Congress really stuck it to those rich guys buying yachts with their tax.

Of course, they also screwed over thousands of not very rich sail seamstresses, fiberglass technicians, boat designers, riggers, electronic sensor equipment and boat salesmen, and even the divers who earn extra money cleaning barnacles off of racing boat hulls. Guess you don't care about what happens to those people either.

By the time the morons repealed the tax, thousands of jobs and hundreds of companies were already gone.

Now by trying to slash the number of potential angel investors, Congress is going to destroy my industry in much the same way. By the time they figure out how damaging this is and repeal it, I fear it will be too late to rebuild the investing infrastructure and re-form collapsed angel groups. And if startups have to incur the hassles and legal costs of registering with 5 or 10 states instead of just complying with one set of Federal rules, very few will be able to afford to even try to get funding. Of course, you probably don't care about people who start companies like the 59,000 who got got funding last year and who generated an average of 3.3 jobs for other people. Congress will definitely want to stop THAT engine. (And no one - especially Jim Webb (my dumbass Senator) - will even care.)
katchal
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:36 am

I only care about people who solicit millions and millions of pieces of credit card junk mail offers of which is how I remain gainfully employed.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Bush? Evil! No doubt about it now.

Postby DJCNOR » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:17 pm

I dare anyone to say that members of the Bush administration should not serve jail time after this:

Here's the latest news, and it's appalling:

Following a six month long investigation a preeminent physician’s organization has published a major report revealing that the Bush Administration carried out medical experiments on its torture victims. This is a gross violation of the Nuremberg Code that barred the use of medical experimentation on detainees, following the exposure of Nazi experiments during WW11.

The Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) used public records showing health professionals worked under the supervision of the Central Intelligence Agency during interrogations of "war on terror" detainees after the 2001 attacks.

PHR's new report, "Experiments in Torture: Human Subject Research and Evidence of Experimentation in the 'Enhanced' Interrogation Program," provides new evidence that CIA used doctors and other health care personnel and engaged in the crime of illegal experimentation on detainees who had been tortured under the direction of the Bush Administration.

The “Experiments in Torture” report is the result of six months of investigation and the review of thousands of pages of government documents. PHR says it has been peer-reviewed by outside experts in the medical, biomedical and research ethics fields, legal experts, health professionals, and experts in the treatment of torture survivors.

The purpose of the medical experiments during the Bush years was apparently to measure the effectiveness of particular torture techniques on the victims. This is an abomination.
DJCNOR
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby merk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:45 pm

I want more details before i add to my list of reasons bush was horrible. This sounds just a little too far out there to be true - or at least to be the whole truth.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:10 pm

Link and white paper if you want to read more ...

http://physiciansforhumanrights.org/lib ... 06-07.html
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Politics