Our rights - disappearing one by one

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Our rights - disappearing one by one

Postby Tituba » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:27 pm

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Our rights - disappearing one by one

Postby merk » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:31 am

meh - the first one is just the republicans appealing to the less nice side of their supporters to stir them up over an issue that is meaningless so they can get votes and can focus less on issues that are actually important. I guess they found something new instead of gay marriage to rally their troops.

the 2nd one - doesn't really bother me too much either, assuming all someone has to do is say 'i have nothing to say' and that's enough to invoke their rights.

I think the ruling they had a few months back about political spending for corporation's was WAY WAY WAY worse then either of these two decisions. Money already has a huge enough influence over DC. Those idiot judges who removed the limits - well - they were idiots.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby An8el » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:19 am

Yeah, the strange part is how many of what sort of "rights" people in the USA used to have are already LONG gone.

I've seen important news about rights being often completely ignored by the press that could broadcast it. Our culture is sadly pure sensationalistic.

Education has been done as if the culture is still in the industrial age; instead we should teach all kids to be lawyers; we should add in mediation as a skill along with creative thinking ability to design a way forward when there are problems. Then maybe we'd have some people who were capable of being citizens. As it is, kids are still being trained by schools to be factory workers who read the mind of the boss in order to obey, which is so passe' that it's not funny anymore.

Check out the traveler's rights that this person specializes in blogging about here: http://hasbrouck.org/ Check out what he has to say in the section about "human rights, civil liberties..." about halfway down the page.
Better get out and visit the world before "they" close it!

Another instance, the social security number was supposed to be "for tax purposes only, not for ID" in the era following the Holocaust. This got changed to the number being allowed to be used for ID by someone else other than YOU. Essentially, it can be used by others to identify you, but you cannot use it to identify yourself. Thanks to identity theft, now there's at least some attempt to keep the SSN secret again.

Talk about echoing the sentiments of George Orwell's "Animal Farm."

When asked, Barbara Sher recommended that telling stories gets a message across better than any other way to people who do not imagine there is a reason to care about important points such as citizenship. So perhaps we should go into the business of satire if we'd like to entertain while we get our message across?
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby tui » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:50 am

An8el - I do like your education ideas! And negotiation would be useful, too.

Too many people are pushing the fear button as a means to get their own ways. (The world will end if you don't let us do...) And others are playing the 'victim' card, while the majority shakes the collective head and says 'What can we do? They don't listen'.
tui
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby An8el » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:09 am

Well, the majority is not paying attention. Or actually, they're watching too much TV to sustain their attention before it's distracted to the next urgent appeal to buy something else.
The answers are there - and they are happening as they have never been before. The world is changing as it should. But these "majority" people are kicking and screaming, dragging their feet. When actually, they have a great deal of power. The power is in how they choose to spend their money.

For victims, the anecdote to blaming your upbringing, your past and yourself is to forgive your family, those in your past and yourself.
The fear button; thats a biggie. That's the reptile brain which has always had first dibs on our primary concerns. The only way around that is to strengthen the GABA fibers that lead from the reptile brain to the part of the brain that controls higher reasoning function. Perhaps the other word for that is: courage?

Just wrote a post on that brain science this evening: http://www.debonosociety.com/profiles/blogs/how-to-grow-your-brain-fibers It's on this site that has codified creative thinking and teaches it as a skill. They're having a devil of a time getting existing bureaucracy to give up it's hold on the minds of children when trying to teach them how to think in other ways besides argument and debate skills.

Really, you would think with all the forward-thinking great ideas people here have come up with - that some of us on this forum here could think our way out of this mess the human race has found itself in. It's such a big job that it makes any one of us feel so small and helpless.

What is the way around that sense of isolation? Barbara says, "Isolation is the dream-killer." So I'm casting my net a little farther these days. Don't know what will come of it - yet. But things looking interesting. http://www.debonosociety.com is interesting. The World Cafe is interesting. Junto is interesting. Kickstarter is interesting.

Meanwhile, I've more depressed and dysfunctional than I've ever been. I have to get myself together and do something about this besides rant and write.

Having been a teen when it was happening, today's atmosphere is very similar to the the late 1960s. But instead of a bunch of teens wanting to tear down limitations and be free - those teens grew up and answered the question of "free to do - What?" A whole bunch of people grew up and put a whole bunch of alternative systems in place when they imagined better ways to do things - and made it happen. These things exist now, as products, as better ways to learn, as health knowledge, as scientific discovery, as better business practices, as community involvement, but not enough people are using these better ways. People like Edward de Bono are still fighting bureaucracy, materialism and our own resistance to have these better and more positive alternatives be used.

What's with that?
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby lkindr » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:19 pm

An8el said: Really, you would think with all the forward-thinking great ideas people here have come up with - that some of us on this forum here could think our way out of this mess the human race has found itself in. It's such a big job that it makes any one of us feel so small and helpless.

* Nah. We're not small and helpless. There's a whole bunch of us. A cell looks small to a person, but a whole bunch of em make up another person's body. You and I look small next to a planet, but a bunch of us can make it a great place to live.
lkindr
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby An8el » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:30 am

OK, I'm ready. I have some time to work on it too. Show me your ideas about the means of gathering our intentions together into something real - how we can focus our attention somewhere, so that it makes a difference...?
An8el
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:37 pm

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:37 am

And this is another example why I am no longer an Obama fan. I still would have voted for him over evil Romney, but I am highly disappointed. During his first campaign he kept saying how he would act like Bush and would not take away our rights and follow the constitution. Actions speak louder than words (even pretty words). His lack of transparency and these power grabs we cannot ignore. I hate politics

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-administrat ... 29195.html
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:07 am

Some people say if you have nothing positive to say, you shouldn't say anything at all. So, with that in mind, let me say....
My Blog http://blog.imerk.com
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tituba » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:29 am

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. " - Thomas Jefferson

4th Amendment

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:40 am

Given the stories about Verizon and the NSA - don't you find this Verizon promotion ironic?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/con ... thing.html
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:31 pm

I heard this the other day:

"So, if you've been disappointed that Washington never listens to us ... "
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>