New tax idea - tax us for every mile we drive

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: New tax idea - tax us for every mile we drive

Postby merk » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:10 pm

You keep ignoring the fact that we can change those laws. We elect the people who pass the laws. if we don't like the laws, we can elect someone else to make different laws.

I think the IRS can use a LOT of reform. Our whole tax system can use a LOT of reform. I definitely wont argue that there are abuses and it could be a lot better. But i think saying we don't need taxes is being naive. A fee based system wont work because of inequalities in population density and income. And because a lot of people just wont pay a voluntary fee.

They already have some places where people have to pay a fee to subsidize the fire dept and there are people who don't pay. There was an instance not that long ago where someone who didn't pay stood outside, with the fire dept, as their house burned down. The fire dept refused to put out the fire since they didn't pay. They stood by only to prevent the fire from spreading to any other houses. There was no one inside the house.

You will get a LOT more of that situation if we go to a fee based system. Only it will be worse because since it'll be 100% fee based, the fire/police dept's will be vastly under-funded. Taxes are a necessary evil. I think it's foolish to try and do away with it. Instead i think it would be much more prudent to keep taxes but change the way we collect taxes and the way we spend them.

Right now there a lot of inequality in people paying their fair share. We spend a lot of money on things that we shouldn't, and not enough on things we should. And the tax system is much more complicated then it needs to be. We shouldn't have to hire someone to file our taxes for us. it should be so simple that anyone could do it. I think if you can fix that, people wouldn't mind taxes so much. I sure wouldn't.
My Blog http://blog.imerk.com
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby lkindr » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Merk, I think the world economy is on the verge of a collapse that's likely to end "civilization" as we know it. It may be an opportune time to think about ending abusive systems henceforth forever. Extortion, abuse and torture are NOT civilized and no one needs a system that relies on them. If people can't figure out how to live without such violations of people's natural rights, they're pretty dumb. I think you're thinking way too far inside the box.
lkindr
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:28 pm

This is starting to have a G.G. feel to it. :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:50 am

You are talking about two different issues.

issue 1: replacing the tax system with a fee based system to pay for govt services
issue 2: how to enforce whatever system we have in place.

One is how we collect money to fund govt services, and the other is about how you enforce the laws.

Which issue do you want to discuss?
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby merk » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:51 am

Scenario Thinker wrote:This is starting to have a G.G. feel to it. :)

heh - you aren't the only one who thought that. But i'm pretty sure it's not GG, especially since the account was registered years ago.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:15 am

No, I didn't mean is WAS G.G., it has the same feel, though.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Politics