Win-Win in Politics?

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Win-Win in Politics?

Postby lkindr » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am

* Who would like to help discuss win-win ideas on political issues?
* I'm working on making videos that will teach how to do win-win and how it can be used in campaigns and in govt, after people are elected.
* It's a way for representatives to represent all of the people's concerns, instead of just a majority, or just major campaign supporters.
lkindr
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Win-Win in Politics?

Postby merk » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:32 pm

I very much like that idea. Unfortunately given the current state of US politics, i don't think it'll happen. I actually think a significant chunk of the US population doesn't want a win-win situation. They want something where someone wins, and someone elses loses, because they have the mentality that they are RIGHT therefore the other guy must be WRONG. And sadly, this line of thinking is often encouraged by the politicians since it helps them get elected.
My Blog http://blog.imerk.com
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby lkindr » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:41 pm

* Glad you like the idea. And, since that's the case, why not suppose that it's possible for win-win to become popular?
* I actually believe that it will be easier for win-win candidates to win, because many of those who would normally oppose them would want to see someone elected who wants everyone to win. If win-win candidates can provide examples of win-win solutions for popular concerns, that should make them more popular.
* Who wants representatives who want some or many of the people to be losers? Why wouldn't everyone want reps who want all of the people to be winners?
lkindr
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby merk » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Because, a lot of the people like to feel that they are RIGHT, and someone else is WRONG. They aren't happy unless they can feel like they are better then some other group. And our politicians love this because they can feed into that - it gets them votes.

I don't see any politician getting elected who stands up and says 'democrats and republicans are both right and we can both get what we want'. I think politics in this country is too polarized for that to work. And I'm not sure what could be done to change that - before you can get a win-win person elected, you'd have to change the mentality of a large portion of this population. Maybe better education would be the key since i think there are a lot of people in this country who are getting screwed over and keep asking to get screwed over again and again because they are ignorant of what's really going on.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby lkindr » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:25 pm

There are a lot of non-voters and independents. Wouldn't they favor win-win candidates? Independents are often swing voters who determine election outcomes. And what about activists? Wouldn't they favor win-win? Wouldn't they like to use win-win themselves, so there's less fighting among themselves? And once they realize it's better than win-lose, wouldn't they favor running win-win candidates? Aren't most people aware that real change is desperately needed? And what better change could be imagined?
lkindr
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby merk » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:31 pm

I think most of the non-voters remain non-voters. Most people just dont care enough about what's going on in their govt to bother voting. As for independants/swing voters - maybe. But honestly, if you want to get someone elected who is in a 3rd party, we need to change the way we elect officials. Otherwise you're going to get the same thing as when perot was running - people wont vote for the 3rd party guy because they are worried the other guy will win by them splitting the vote.

We need to have an election system where you can pick a 1st and 2nd choice for president.

Otherwise you can have a situation where you have candidates A, B and c. And you could have 60% of the population who doesn't want A, but they split down the lines for B and C. So A would win with just 40% of the vote. Even though 60% of the country doesn't want him.

Until we change the election process so that it's easier for a 3rd party candidate to get elected, I dont think you'll ever see anyone in the white house who isn't either a democrat or republican.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tituba » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:01 am

Most people just dont care enough about what's going on in their govt to bother voting.

Not always. I care, but have decided not to vote again (at least for awhile). The reason? I'm done with being lied to. We all keep getting our hopes up that "Maybe this one will be different. Maybe this time will be different" Sort of like when someone gets beat up in a relationship and thinks he won't do it again. And he does. That is how it feels with politicians and I'm not participating in it anymore.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby lkindr » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:17 am

I tried not voting for many years and it didn't seem to improve anything.
And I don't have confidence in third parties.
What the Free State Project does in NH is encourages Free Staters to run for office in whichever party is most popular locally. They won quite a few Rep races in 2010 that way.
So now I'm working to persuade Free Staters and others to use win-win, because it's the only way for public servants to truly represent the interests of all of the people. I also want to encourage young people to run for office to help end corruption and implement more progressive methods, like win-win.

Here's another approach to the problem.
Wishcraft says to start with your goal and work backwards to plan the steps to reach it, until you come to one or more steps that you can do right away.
G: So the goal is to have govt that represents all of the people's interests. That means:
-1: govt that uses win-win, or unanimous, decision making.
-2: elected officials who use win-win.
-3: candidates who use win-win.
-4: activists who recruit and teach candidates win-win.
-5: videos to teach activists.
-6: videographer to make and post videos.
So I turn those steps around to come up with my plan of action. -6 is done and I'm very close to doing -5. I'm also getting involved with -4 and -3, so, when the videos are ready, we can inform and invite them to learn from the videos.
lkindr
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby tapit123 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi there-
I see it's been a while since you posted here, and I wonder how the videos are going.
What (do) will they look like?
How are they distributed? You can broadcast your work for free on Public Access TV. Are you hooked up with them in your area?
Are they available online?
tapit123
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby lkindr » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:53 am

* Hi. I had 2 of the teaching videos posted so far, but I'm not sure they're effective enough. The videos are on my channel at http://youtube.com/WinWinParty. Here are links to the 2 videos so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msJyHB8QLmY&feature=plcp&context=C227c3UDOEgsToPDskKogQbvuA0UnMHKT-1RDAcb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmzlXHgtpmw&feature=plcp&context=C28962UDOEgsToPDskIqXyCINadJtoT2fhczpOuR
* The first one says we'll have a video each week to demonstrate how to find win-win solutions on a different issue, but I haven't followed through. My videographer has simply been asking people what their rants are and if they can think of win-win solutions, but few if any have tried to actually think of win-win solutions. So I need to rethink how to proceed.
* Comments might help. Thanks much.
lkindr
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Politics