I am one of the 99%

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

I am one of the 99%

Postby Wolf Goddess » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:54 am

I was watching the news program Democracy Now http://www.democracynow.org/ and watching the protests on Wall Street and around the U. S. and I finally realized what has been bothering me for the past five years. I couldn't put my finger on it but now the fog is lifting and I can see more clearly.

I have been ticked off (to put it mildly) at all the injustice I have been seeing around me. It has affected me personally. I am one of the 99 percent: subjected to racism, ageism, class-ism, ability-ism and so many other ism's.

I have too beg someone for a job and when I do get one I work to make them rich. I have not been able to force myself to work for someone else these past few years. That crowd on Wall Street has just told me why.

There are those who still don't see what the fuss is all about. They don't get it. They claim that the protesters are all over the place. No, they are not. All of the different complaints are stemming from one tree. I (we) can no longer stand for the 1 percent to dictate our lives.

Obama called for change, spreading the wealth around and health care for all. AMEN!
You will never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.
Visit Zebracorn Art Journeys at www.zebracorn.com
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: I am one of the 99%

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:05 pm

S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby tui » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:53 am

Somehow I don't think that spreading the wealth around is going to have beneficial and lasting effects...

Have you ever been made to 'play' a game with someone who has years of experience and is only interested in showing you how 'good' at it they are? They have no wish to help you master that game. They just want to win - even against non-players.

Many folk, if they had more money, would spend it on whatever need is high with them - food, shelter, reducing fear. They mostly wouldn't be focused on learning 'the game'. So the dedicated players get it all back again, over and over.

Instead of admiration and envy - they're players in a code that we don't mind glimpsing from time to time but, hey! get a life!

If we could ring fence them and the game... let them play with others like them. Send aspirants to the top echelons of the game out of our communities. No harm to them. No revolutions or other unpleasantnesses - but pop them somewhere their weird rituals and hungers don't either affect or infect normal, usually friendly folk (the 99%). They're simply not get-on-able-with by most of us. Basically - if they want to play Monopoly - head for the basement where the noise won't bug the rest of us. We have uses for money - just not 'their way'.

Which probably means that we take back that abdicated responsibility and quit finding excuses. The concept of money has been very useful to us all. I'm sure we can find some way of using the various forms of 'capital' (ideas, networks, skills, etc) without the fluffed up wisdom of the 'gurus of high finance', though.

Wolf Goddess - it's a guess only, but I suspect you like to work well and creatively, with a high degree of self discipline. Most 'jobs' aren't designed for those characteristics :lol: .
tui
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby GoCubbies » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:09 pm

Finally, someone making sense.
http://video.wpt2.org/video/2160792049/#
GoCubbies
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:53 pm

Occupy Wall Street should lobby Congress to repeal the Bankruptcy Law of October 2005, which was written to benefit only creditors.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/17/pf/debt/bankruptcy_law/
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:05 am

SquarePeg wrote:... to benefit only creditors.

And the lawyers.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:07 am

GoCubbies wrote:Finally, someone making sense.
http://video.wpt2.org/video/2160792049/#

Take away: If you're young and have the aptitude (and like it), go into finance. :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:19 pm

You can mail back the postage-paid envelopes that come with credit card offers. Include a little note that says, "Stop enslaving people with free credit."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JlxbKtBkGM
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Politics