The Republican party is completely broken

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: The Republican party is completely broken

Postby merk » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:42 am

They just need to vote that entire party out of office and out of existence.
My Blog http://blog.imerk.com
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jcjm » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:52 pm

by merk » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:42

They just need to vote that entire party out of office and out of existence.

The Republicans are saying the same thing about the Democrats.

To hear them talk, Obama's goal is to overturn everything their hero Ronald Reagan did. (according to Rush Limbaugh on 1/4/12)

I don't know about everything, but I'd be OK with 3/4. In my eyes Reagan was no hero, just a guy who was there at the right time. He didn't do that much, just took advantage of what was already in motion and put a good spin on it.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I know 4 years is a long time, but at this point I don't think the Republican's have much of a chance in 2016 if Hillary stays healthy and runs.

Marco Rubio may draw Hispanics, but he's young and not much experience.

At this point about their only hope is Christy who has been running around bashing his own party since Sandy. And that's not going to get many Republican votes in a primary.

With the exception of Christy, I think their prospects are pretty bleak.

The reason? They think they have all the answers and everyone is just too stupid to understand. When a guy like Christy points out they are wrong, he gets labeled as unfaithful to the party. They need to listen to some of the more moderate members and drop the attitude.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Ok, to be fair not every republican politician is bad. But enough of them are to make the whole party look bad in my eyes.

And according to rush limbaugh, anyone who doesn't agree with him is either stupid or evil or both. Rush limbaugh is the perfect example of how the republican party has gone bad. His typical tactics are to make anyone who disagrees with him an evil person. It's never a matter of it being a disagreement on how to get things done, it always has to be black and white polar opposites, with him sitting on the side of 'good'.

From my perspective, the republican party is more concerned about the republican party then it is the country. I don't think you can say the same thing about the democrats. Now if that's because the democrats are better, or just aren't in enough political trouble to make them desperate enough to show their true colors I couldn't tell you.

but just look at the people they have put up to run for president. Almost all of them are extremely polarizing, and very often have extremely negative views on a substantial portion of the country. Palin - she had people shouting racial chants and death threats at her gatherings and never spoke against it. The fact that mccain picked her as his running mate is i think proof they care more about their own party then the country since I at least think it was clear she was a horrible choice for the country. Maybe a good political choice (although since they lost maybe not) but a horrible choice for the overall good of the country.

And romney - he wrote off 47% of the country.

I'm not even going to bother going into the guys who lost the primaries.

And these are the people they picked to run the country.

The republican party inspires their base with fear - remember the 'death panels' when obama care was getting written?

I'm not saying the democratic party doesn't sling it's own share of mud, but at least they are still using mud. The republicans are slinging manure. Anyone who goes so far to try and get people to vote against a law by making them believe the govt is going to have death panels is not fit to hold public office.

The only glimmer of hope i see for the republicans is that they are finally going so far as to piss off some of their own members. I would not be too surprised if the more reasonable members split off and form their own party. Or maybe they'll get enough support to take over the party and get rid of the bad apples.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tituba » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:12 pm

And according to rush limbaugh,

Rush Limbaugh is a self-confessed drug addict. I wouldn't listen to him anymore than the guy on the corner yelling at the wall.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:54 pm

Tituba wrote:Rush Limbaugh is a self-confessed drug addict. I wouldn't listen to him anymore than the guy on the corner yelling at the wall.

why are you insulting the crazy guy on he corner? what did he do to you? ;)
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:36 pm

SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:44 am

Republican Party seems as divided, angry as ever:
http://news.yahoo.com/republican-party- ... ction.html
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:25 am

And according to rush limbaugh, anyone who doesn't agree with him is either stupid or evil or both. Rush limbaugh is the perfect example of how the republican party has gone bad. His typical tactics are to make anyone who disagrees with him an evil person. It's never a matter of it being a disagreement on how to get things done, it always has to be black and white polar opposites, with him sitting on the side of 'good'.

Him and his Democratic couterpart Ed Schultz both have to be sensationalizing everything for ratings. No one could be that stupid.

And romney - he wrote off 47% of the country.

I would give Romney the benefit of the doubt on that and say taken in context to that group, what he was saying to that group was that you can't talk tax cuts to people who don't pay taxes. More of a plea to that base that he had to run on more than tax cuts because there weren't enough people on that bandwagon.

Right now the Republicans' look like a bunch of old white men who are trying to hold on to the 50s pointing at Regan and the 80s as their crowning glory. A lot of them are out of touch. At this point Rubio and Christy are the only ones who have any vote drawing potential outside the good old boys club and they both have 4 years to stick their foot in their mouth.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby merk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:39 pm

At the time romney's comments didn't really seem to be taken much out of context. Especially when you take into account other things he's done/said in the past.

Even if it was somehow taken out of context, it was an incredibly stupid thing for someone who's running for president to say.

No, I pretty much stand by what i said before about their latest choices for president - think they were all horrible. The only one that I used to like was mccain - but it seemed like as soon as they nominated him, be turned into a typical republican politician. Prior to getting nominated he seemed like one of the few that were decent.

I don't like painting with absolute colors - black and white. But I really don't see any other choice now - the republican party as it is needs to go. If that means new leadership, or just getting rid of that party and forming a new one, i don't know. but as it stands now i think they are bad for the country.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jcjm » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:23 am

Just my personal opinion, but it looked to me like Romney was trying to break it to the far right, that he couldn't get elected on tax cuts for the rich. Which turned out to be right. Watching it may have seemed like he was showing his true colors, but I think he was just being the camillion he is, changing with the crowd.

To me, right now Rubio and Christy would be the Rep. front runners for 2016. Rubio is too inexperienced and may be a VP candidate. Christy with the hugging Obama and blasting the Republicans over relief for Sandy, way come off as playing to the voters by both Reps and Dems. Time will tell.

My bet for 2016 is Hillary. She has taken S*** from all the men inculuding Obama and her husband, and I think that will go a long way to remove the problem some people had with her. Her biggest concern is her health. This recent illness may bring age into account and her recent job has taken its toll on her appearance. Although Christy has weight problems, which might offset Hillary's age if they ran against each other.

These 3 are the only ones I can see on either side winning a primary. They are the only ones making news these days, everyone else is just causing gridlock.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby GoCubbies » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:50 pm

From WSJ, re: Christie
Lloyd Morton Wrote:
AT first I mistakenly thought he was a game changer, now I see him for what he is, a crass politician and someone who wants to split the gop and take some dem voters and try the middle in 2016 or change parties in 2014. He went to the GOP convention and never boosted Romney but helped himself. It was a crass political move to showcase himself and torpedo Romney! He then went side by side with obama in the heat of the election and made sure he killed off Romney. He may have singlehandidly given obama the election! He knew he would not have a chance in 2016 unless obama was reelected because Romney policies would have worked and he would be shoe in for reelection. He then goes in front of the cameras and bashes the GOP for not passing a terrible bill (Sandy relief) while he knew all along they would pass what was needed. This took away any challenge to his reelection for Gov by a dem. It showed him to be for the 'little guy' which wasn't true either. He is clearing the way to an uncontested GOP nomination by using his governor position to poison the water for every potential candidate. The GOP is playing with a snake when they embrace him!
GoCubbies
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby merk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:05 pm

I dont know if that's why he did what he did, or if he did what he did because he has an ounce of integrity, which is more then most of them have.
merk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tituba » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:08 am

He then went side by side with obama in the heat of the election and made sure he killed off Romney. He may have singlehandidly given obama the election!

I kind of wonder about that too. Why was Christie so uninterested in running in 2012, but now seems to be all out for 2016? There clearly was no front runner and Romney got the nomination by default, by being able to get to the convention without self destructing like the rest of the candidates did.

The Republican's do have a history of going with people because they are the next in line and maybe Christie thought it was Romneys time and didn't want to PO Republican's by cutting in line.

Don't really have answers on this just questions, like why the sudden turn around? Why not run in 2012 then embrace the opponent the month before the election? Why bash the Republican's when they don't move fast enough on releif? And most of all why start running your 2016 campaign a month before the 2012 election? Does start to point somewhere other than Romney winning and serving 8 years.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:00 am

I heard a quote that I thought was funny but true.

A Democratic politician was being asked what they needed to do to keep the Repubicans from making a comeback. Their answer was we don't have to do anything, they are doing it to themselves.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Politics