Election 2012 - Gonna be ugly

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Election 2012 - Gonna be ugly

Postby Tituba » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:39 pm

We all hope it'll be all over soon and be settled one way or another. Unlikely. There will be questions, schemes and recounts.

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/05/ohio_re ... _machines/

and

http://factcheck.org/2012/11/does-tagg- ... -machines/

I feel like that little girl that has the YouTube crying that she is tired of both of them

In fact, many at H.I.G. Capital have contributed to Romney committees. H.I.G. Capital executives have given a combined $436,550, as of Oct. 25, to Romney’s various political committees — making them collectively the sixth-largest financial contributor to Romney fundraising committees, according to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics.

Two of H.I.G. Capital’s executive managing directors, Brian Schwartz and Douglas Berman, are also big Romney donors, federal campaign records show.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Election 2012 - Gonna be ugly

Postby jcjm » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:23 am

Time will tell.

I'm sure there will be some people (there always are) who try to change votes and others who make allegations of vote count issues, but usually the votes in question wouldn't change the end result.

The biggest problem I see is legitimate logistics issues in places ravaged by the hurricane. It will be hard to make sure everyone who wants to vote, can vote and do it in a way that has integrity of the votes cast.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:39 am

At least they were very meticulous where I voted this morning*. I even saw where two people verified that my ballet looked accurate before I went to the booth.

* Get this, after almost twenty years in my home, my polling place is under a minute walk away from me now! I always used to see a bunch of cars and signs in the parking lot when I used to go into town to vote, and wondered why I could vote there instead. It is a fairly newer place, so maybe it took awhile to shuffle people in town around to be closer to their place.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:25 pm

Can now exhale....thank God!

Now, wouldn't it be so SWEET if he lost by 47%..... :)
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:38 pm

This waiting for Ohio!

Also, the popular vote is not all in, so I hope Obama wins the popular vote, too, otherwise we'll have to hear the bitching and moaning about the electoral college. All night has been showing Romney ahead, but he was ahead a lot of the way in the electoral too, until WI, NV, CO, and CA came in, so the pop vote will trickle in.

It was a lot more about an hour ago, but now it looks like neck and neck 49.3% each.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:43 pm

?? They called Ohio & Virginia for Obama. The only one left is Florida
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:48 pm

When I wrote that, they were still holding on Ohio, because Romney wouldn't concede it (even though the networks called it).

I fell asleep when Romney spoke. Woke just before Obama is speaking now. Gonna be tired tomorrow. :)

(OK, I see now where Obama has passed Romney in the popular vote)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:32 am

Awake again. If I would have tried going to bed at NINE, like originally intended, I wouldn't have slept anyhow, probably.
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:51 am

The only thing that would have made this sweeter, is if he had lost by 47% :)
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:15 am

I didn't watch much of the coverage except for 5 minutes on the hour and that was to see about the local results. Then just fell asleep with non election programming on.

When I heard Obama won, I thought OK its over, maybe we will start to get some truth in the news now instead of propaganda in commercials.

Then I heard someone say, "well that was 6 billion spent over 2 years to keep the status quo".

Suddenly it struck me. We may not have the ads with lies anymore, but we do have the status quo and now its going to be about the fiscal cliff.

Rush Limbaugh and his Democratic alter ego Ed Schultz are still going to be spewing their one sided opinions, only now they are going to be doing them about the fiscal cliff.

As the little girl on U-Tube said, MAKE IT STOP.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:24 am

Yeah, that is the reality. Unless there is a big shift in cooperation, we are in for four more years of log jams. Unfortunately, we are the ones who pay the price. If that happens, I hope the voters do a house cleaning at the next opportunity.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:49 am

Speaking of fiscal cliff, etc., I really am for any American having the ability to get health insurance. However, the money has to come from somewhere. Included in the fiscal cliff are taxes for Obamacare. Do we go into yet more debt, or are our taxes raised?
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:32 am

It is all pretty simple if people would put aside the right and the left.

We need to do something that is going to hurt and both sides want it to hurt the other.

Equal sacrifice is needed. Both increased taxes and decreased spending.

How we do it is not as important as both side making a committment to give something.

*********************************************************************************************************************

A good start would be to freeze spending and ad a surtax to the income tax like they did in the 70s.

I didn't like it at the time, but it worked. Once people realized they needed to pay as they go, they started volunteering things to cut so they wouldn't have to pay the additional 3% in taxes on a regular basis.

We just need to make a committment to balance the budget and stop kicking the can down the road. Adding all that pork to bills to get people to sign on would be a good start. Its ridiculous to add road projects in a district to a bill that has nothing to do with roads, just to get a paid official to vote yes.

This isn't lets make a deal.

*********************************************************************************************************************

As you can see, it all just makes me sick.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:03 am

Ah, but jcjm, what you're saying requires maturity, compromise and above all, civic versus personal interest. That just isn't who we've elected on both sides. When there is someone with those qualities, the political machine beats them down. Yes, I'm jaded and cynical. They've worn me down. You get tired of believing that "this time will be different."
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scenario Thinker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:53 am

Since turnout was about 11 million less than in 2008*, they were saying a lot of people just didn't vote because they just didn't know what to do. That's really too bad. And to think this civil right we have is taken for granted so much, it's a shame that the politicians aren't gettin' it. They're caught up in the machine.

* http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sp ... president/
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Politics