The new scape goat

Political discussions of any type are welcome here. All we ask is that you try to respect everyone's views, and that you use facts to back up any claims that you make.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

The new scape goat

Postby Tituba » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:36 am

I was at a customer's house today and mentioned that Hostess is closing so no more Twinkies.

My client said "you can thank Obamacare for that."

I said "I don't think Obamacare is the reason that Hostess is going out of business."

He said that it was just the beginning and businesses closing will be because of Obamacare.

I ended the conversation there, because.....why bother.

I did some research and the company is closing because of a worker strike. Besides this, Hostess makes products that are demonized because of their transfat etc. Not to mention the lack of nutritional value of Wonder Bread.

So......seems to me that besides being shell shocked that they could have possibly lost the election....they have a new scape goat for anything else happening. Jeez.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: The new scape goat

Postby Scenario Thinker » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:01 am

What I heard was Obama went to Hostess, called a company-wide meeting in the auditorium where he promptly fired the president and CEO, told everyone to go home and that he was going to liquidate the company and use the money for Obamacare. Then, on the way out, he stopped by the cafeteria and ordered a sandwich before the Hispanic workers found out they no longer had a job.

Because ... the president of the US can just do that. :)
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:09 am

We have a Hostess bakery here which was going to be closed anyway, so there has been a lot on the local news.

Hostess was on its 2nd bankrupcy and they got a bankrupcy court to void the contract, but the workers wouldn't go back to work.

Not sure why they have so much problems, it isn't for lack of sales, people love them, especially twinkies and ding dongs.

High labor costs may be the problem since they are a very old company and probably have a lot of pension committments.

Companies generally try to shift the cost of health insurance to the employee to cut costs, but even at that, Obamacare as the cause of Hostess problems is way out there. They have had problems before anyone even knew who Obama was.

I hear their big sellers, twinkies, ding dongs and Wonder bread will probably be bought up by another brand in bankrupcy court. So, if you are a fan, stock up, there may be a few months of no production. Twinkie hoarding and black market ding dongs may be coming.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:29 am

I haven't had a Hostess product in probably 30 years or more. I just find it interesting that the first impulse is to blame Obama.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:57 pm

One track thinking.

My cousin use to blame everything on Reagan. Got up in the morning, read the newspaper and blamed everything bad on Reagan. Granted, Reagan deserved a lot of blame, but not everything.

Obama has become the new scapegoat. Anything bad happens, he has to be involved. Anything good happens, it was because Obama was fended off by the precious few real Americans who are smarter than the rest of us.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:37 pm

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby jcjm » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:05 am

Word from our local Hostess facility is that the workers have been taking cuts for the last 8 years.

While spiraling labor costs can be the downfall of a company, it is hard to see how that would be the case here, since the workers have been taking pay cuts and management and investors have been getting increases.
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Politics